JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Try this:

1699941026458.png

To Prevent This:

Identify your target...
Be sure of your backstop....
Hunt in the woods and fields....don't be a "road hunter"....

Understand that at times....the mind "sees" what it wants to see or expect...not what is actually there.

I also understand that a license and tags are expensive...time to hunt can be difficult to get...just finding a spot to hunt can also be difficult...
Don't let these things goad you into taking a "iffy" shot...
Speaking of "iffy" shots....the game field is not the place to take a shot that is pushing your limits as a marksman....
Stay within your shooting and hunting abilities.
Andy

Last Edited:
Sound shooters are the worse. I had a friend I had known since elementary school killed when he was packing out a buck he had dropped by one. The defense in the case tried to make it sound like Rusty was wearing the animal as a costume thus the mistake in identity.

JP9

Waterfowl hunting NDs are typically different from big game in that it is not a case of a long range shot where the victim was mistaken for game, but often the shootings are typically very close range where it is more a case of where the shooter turns in the direction of another hunter and fires, or while talking while walking, one turns around in the direction of another pointing his gun at the other.

I know a guy who was shot in a situation like this but survived as he did not take the full charge of shot.

He and a friend were duck hunting and walking back to the vehicle. Front guy turns around to talk to his friend behind him and his shotgun was pointed directly at him, he stumbles and pulls the trigger shooting the guy I know.

Fortunately he only took part of the # 8 shot charge with most hitting his chest and only a few pellets hitting his face and head.

Last Edited:
Its important to teach novices that part of the reason you always keep your finger off the trigger and outside the trigger guard until gun is pointing at something you intend to shoot is if you stumble your hands clinch.

On the other side of the coin. Safety tip: Don't use your rifle scope in place of binoculars or spotting scope!

I could relate an experience where I was present... that turned out somewhat humorous... but laying your crosshairs on another hunter has the potential to end badly for you.

I've posted this on two other forums that I'm a member on. I have ZERO tolerance for 'accidents' involving firearms.

"As many of us head to the hills to go hunting this fall I would like to remind everyone to please identify your target and be 100% sure what it is that you are shooting at. On November 1st, 1984 my best friend was shot off his horse by a careless hunter. Delly was only 24 years old with an 18 month old son and his wife was pregnant with their second boy. The fella that shot him had seen a large bull elk in the area and was wired up pretty tight. Del was riding a red and white horse and had orange ribbons tied to both himself and his horse. He had stopped at a spring to water his horse when the careless hunter saw movement and fired. I was only a couple hundred yards away and heard the shot. There's not a day goes by that I don't think about that incident and how one mans careless actions ended a life and changed so many others. Pete Kershaw, founder of Kershaw Knives, was one of the members of our hunting party that awful day and designed the DWO model knife in honor of my friend.
Please be careful out there folks."

The guy that killed Delly doesn't know it, but he was almost a dead man. A couple weeks after this happened I 'came to' and realized I was on my way to kill him. I had driven my van from Bend halfway to Burns where he was from when I suddenly realized what I was doing. I pulled to the side of the road and just sat there and cried for more than an hour, then headed myself back to Bend where I was living at the time.

Sound shooters are the worse. I had a friend I had known since elementary school killed when he was packing out a buck he had dropped by one. The defense in the case tried to make it sound like Rusty was wearing the animal as a costume thus the mistake in identity.

JP9
Back in 79 a good friend of mine was in high school and took one of his buddies hunting, he set him at good shooting spot and he went down to push something towards him. Well the kid heard noise and shot him in the shoulder and it came out by his right forearm. EFFIN IDIOTS! :s0054:

One time I carried out a small buck on my shoulders up a steep ravine but I was smart enough to put two hunter orange vests on the deer, yeah I always bring a spare because I know there are idiots in the woods.

Pick your hunting buddies wisely. The guy who got me into elk hunting was a helluva hunting partner. Unfortunately he started getting a little more careless as years went by. He made a very poor choice that could have easily ended in disaster and that was the end of our time hunting together. I don't care how good of a friend a guy is. There isn't any wiggle room when it comes to firearms safety.

in Hell, I Was There Elmer Keith told of an incident where some friends he was guiding had a falling out before the hunt and one of them ended up getting shot 'by accident'. I wonder how many of these are less than an accident

I've posted this on two other forums that I'm a member on. I have ZERO tolerance for 'accidents' involving firearms.

"As many of us head to the hills to go hunting this fall I would like to remind everyone to please identify your target and be 100% sure what it is that you are shooting at. On November 1st, 1984 my best friend was shot off his horse by a careless hunter. Delly was only 24 years old with an 18 month old son and his wife was pregnant with their second boy. The fella that shot him had seen a large bull elk in the area and was wired up pretty tight. Del was riding a red and white horse and had orange ribbons tied to both himself and his horse. He had stopped at a spring to water his horse when the careless hunter saw movement and fired. I was only a couple hundred yards away and heard the shot. There's not a day goes by that I don't think about that incident and how one mans careless actions ended a life and changed so many others. Pete Kershaw, founder of Kershaw Knives, was one of the members of our hunting party that awful day and designed the DWO model knife in honor of my friend.
Please be careful out there folks."

The guy that killed Delly doesn't know it, but he was almost a dead man. A couple weeks after this happened I 'came to' and realized I was on my way to kill him. I had driven my van from Bend halfway to Burns where he was from when I suddenly realized what I was doing. I pulled to the side of the road and just sat there and cried for more than an hour, then headed myself back to Bend where I was living at the time.
I knew Delly. The Officer's have a large presence in JD and the area. I have a knife with his initials on it in memory of him.
I, too, have no tolerance for people that shoot without POSITIVELY identifying the target.

Really sorry for your loss and can't blame you for your thoughts of revenge, but it's a good thing you stopped yourself. I was once on my way to hand out some vigilante justice when I realized everything I would lose for so little gain.

@orygun said, "I was once on my way to hand out some vigilante justice when I realized everything I would lose for so little gain."

Geez! Glad I'm still alive. It wasn't THAT bad of a deal, now was it?

Still on a lighter note, My Uncle (ersatz Dad when I was a teen) knew every logging road, CAT road, and railroad grade on the North Coast. He hated running into other hunters in the woods as much as I do. One strategy for getting rid of them was to give them bogus directions into some of the worst hell-holes and vehicle-eating roads he knew of. ("It gets pretty bad at first, but keep going: it gets better.")

Another favorite was (with a straight face) advising them how he'd taken a few "sound shots" that morning, but had no meat to show for it. :cool:

I suspect most hunting "accidents" happen during popular hunting seasons. If a person wanted to reduce the chances they would become a victim of a hunting "accident", they could avoid going out in the woods during popular hunting seasons. It would be nice if all hunters followed all safety aspects before taking their shots but some don't. We take risk when we go out for a walk, we take more risk when we go out for a walk in the dark and rain.

they could avoid going out in the woods during popular hunting seasons.
This is tough to do with the 'lottery' hunting system we have.

Most 'popular' hunting seasons ARE lottery based and therefore many of us have no choice if we are applying for a particular season, IE for the area and species of animal we want to hunt.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top