JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Remember the commies and nazi's, families were ratting each other out. Stay out of politics, religion and race. It makes the FBI infiltrating your group very bored and he may not attend all the meetings. I think the last place I would have posted it is on a gun board. You are now part of the NSA research group.

I agree with you there, Navvet. All I am suggesting is to establish some operating procedures ahead of time. I would never recommend developing a militia or training for scenarios, but having some preconceived plans is never a bad idea.

it seems like a daunting task to find like-minded people...except on the internet of course ;)

There are tons of like-minded people out there that want ME to prep, prep, prep. Then they will be gracious enough to come a 'running if/when SHTF. As for them actually prepping themselves they have better things to do.

Personally, I'd rather go out alone than be drained by a bunch of parasites. No good deed goes unpunished is never more true than in this case.

I'm noticing the repeated assumption that a leader needs to be chosen and they are in that position untill dead or ousted. Why not take a lesson from the Greek method of old and elect via random lot. That person is lead for...a quarter? A season? A year? Then you draw lots again. That way new ideas are constantly being introduced and no one is viewed as being a tyrant.

I am looking into forming a survival group. I am looking for advice from others who have successfully formed one. I have a decent location that is reasonably set up for a group to operate from and sucessfully defend. Not isolated but not in town either.

Sample questions I have include...
How best to vett persons you might consider for your group?

1) I found it best to host gun ranges to feel out people. We meet in a nuetral area and test fire some firearms. I get a feel for the type of preps they have, their ability to follow instructions and handle themselves in stressful situations all in one. If I don't like them I don't invite them for further training. Family members are fine, and all but only if you have the same ideology. If you can;t get along, fueds and arguements can turn UGLY. Only include family if they vote the same as you and are actively prepping, not just talking about it and want to head to your place if crap gets rough.

How best to organize? (This question covers a lot)

2) I'm assuming you mean in the sense of who is in charge? Nobody and everybody. Looking into it, people should be in charge of their expertise...meaning that the registered nurse should be in charge of medical records and field sanitation while the army vet should be in charge of security. Anything that needs to be resolved should be done in a consensus, not a dictatorship. This, however, cannot apply within the first few weeks of a total collapse. There should be a clear-cut person in charge (usually the property owner or military member) to give out directives...this is the critical time before defenses and things can be put in place so you should be listening to them without question for at least the first week before you should establish a counsel.

What amount of practice or group training should you expect from persons who "Sign on"?

3) The most you can. If you can meet every week, then you should. If not then meet when you can. Train in everything from gardening, first aid to firearms and tactical movement techniques.

What is the appropriate expectation of commitment should you have from people? (IE, prestaging of supplies, pitching in on expenses for site infrastructure upgrades...etc?

Depends on your expectation of a group, honestly. Do you plan of forming a retreat for people to run to when crap gets bad or having your own little community involving all the neighbors? I'm trying to cozy up with the lady and her husband that own a piece of property but need someone to protect it...I go every week to their place and help out with the chores to prove my commitment and feel out their likeness.

I know full well that no one plan would work well for all possible groups but please share some of your successes so that those of us looking to go this route can get ideas.

The ranges work best for me. I've heard of people meeting in book clubs and garden clubs as well...you need a common bond that involves active preparedness, not just cooler conversation about the economy. Hope this helps.

Problem in getting people together is here in the USA we have the McDonalds mentality. If it doesn’t happen right this minute then it ain’t real. People want to press a button and see it happen and if it doesn’t happen right now then it isn’t going to. As long as they have there daily life as it is they believe nothing else matters. They can’t see that the crash is like a cancer that has been growing for decades and preppers have been stockpiling medicine to fight the cancer.

We also have an indoctrinated educated class that by PC can’t allow themselves to believe government can’t cure the debt. Those who are considered the smartest are really wards of the government that educated them. They know that the stories of a crash are all tin foil hat and they believe in government first. Plus they are positive that their education won’t let them down because they went to the best schools for the indoctrination. After all Y2K never happened and preppers are just fools

Then we have the debt slaves who have managed to get themselves so far in debt that preps just add to it. Their personal lives are just as full of debt as the government is and while they mean well the debt is put off to the back of their mind till they realize they can’t pay. They might even be better off in their belief if it all comes down and debt is forgiven… then they can get back into debt

Finding a group of people to prepare with is going to be very difficult. We are all in a prison of government caused debt and you really want someone on your side so you don’t get shanked . Hope it all works out for you guys.

JMHO

jj

I would suggest in terms of "recruiting" in the inital stages it's kind of like dating.

You will typically find people who think like you where you hang out. But finding a retreat member in a pub is a long shot at best.
Proceed slowly, trust your gut feeling.
Communicate openly and honestly, but never tell any single person everything you are planning or doing at least in the beginning
Do not hesitate in ending or modifying an agreement that is not equalitable to both parties
No matter what always remember that which is too good to be true, usually is
Finally, with the political environment and the expanding duties of law enforcement you and your group MIGHT be labeled something you arent, be prepared to defend yourself legally with group goals, misson statement, etc anything that will ease the minds of the curious and/or ignorant.

There are probably another hundred or so things to think about, but these might be a good start.

"Lie your *** off to get them into bed only to have them dissappointed and never talk to you again when they see your Chilis uniform hanging in the closet?"

I meant only to describe the fluid, and therefore difficult to define, nuances in both situations.

Sorry to bring up bad memories.

i think you have to be careful not to fall into the catagory of a"para-military"group,thats big trouble from the feds.
it's one thing to have a long term camping group,even a neighborhood watch type program,i think small towns did that for nuclear threats in the 50's and 60's and thats just being wise and prepering for a disaster.
but when you bring firearms training in on it you become para military.just saying i dont want to see good people get prison time for just thinking about the safety of others.

i think you have to be careful not to fall into the catagory of a"para-military"group,thats big trouble from the feds.
it's one thing to have a long term camping group,even a neighborhood watch type program,i think small towns did that for nuclear threats in the 50's and 60's and thats just being wise and prepering for a disaster.
but when you bring firearms training in on it you become para military.just saying i dont want to see good people get prison time for just thinking about the safety of others.
Thats very true, I was once asked to join a militia on the internet, I kindly refused because I didn`t want to be the DHS naughty list

"Lie your *** off to get them into bed only to have them dissappointed and never talk to you again when they see your Chilis uniform hanging in the closet?"

I meant only to describe the fluid, and therefore difficult to define, nuances in both situations.

Sorry to bring up bad memories.

Its cool, your wife made her choice and has to live with it.

"Its cool, your wife made her choice and has to live with it."

I am done with this thread and your comments. Best of luck in your career in the fast food industry.

"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." – Mark Twain

...... er. Anyway.

combining a couple earlier statements, there's a few self-questions you need to ask: "What're you surviving?" and "how official do I want this?"

Finding like-minded people first involves finding where your mindset is at.
Then, how big or how organized is this effort going to be: a loose group of 3-5 hunting/fishing friends/families, maybe coworkers, with RVs and ATVs; a close-knit rural neighborhood like, 10+ households; the "militias" of 50+ people with various meeting and organizing plans, usually written down, sometimes advertised to avoid "confusion"; or something more "official", be it State, Federal, or even Internationally sanctioned and licensed, like mercenary/PMC groups, security companies, etc, which would serve the purpose of helping/educating your community, at the same time protecting it from gangs or other unsavory types, and maybe even manage to make a legit business out of preparedness (that's the best case scenario, but if done right, it's doable in my eyes.)

Pick your catastrophe, general or specific. Pick your preservation method. Go for it. Might take a wad of cash or someone with a better mind for planning, but don't not ask your buddy if he's good at team projects, or your rich uncle for a loan to start a business (i wish i had that option -_-)

----------------------------------------------

"Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

"Its cool, your wife made her choice and has to live with it."

I am done with this thread and your comments. Best of luck in your career in the fast food industry.

"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.” – Mark Twain

LOL, easy bud, dont take me so serious. carry on..

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top