JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am looking into forming a survival group. I am looking for advice from others who have successfully formed one. I have a decent location that is reasonably set up for a group to operate from and sucessfully defend. Not isolated but not in town either.

Sample questions I have include...
How best to vett persons you might consider for your group?
How best to organize? (This question covers a lot)
What amount of practice or group training should you expect from persons who "Sign on"?
What is the appropriate expectation of commitment should you have from people? (IE, prestaging of supplies, pitching in on expenses for site infrastructure upgrades...etc?

I know full well that no one plan would work well for all possible groups but please share some of your successes so that those of us looking to go this route can get ideas.

This is such a crucial discussion to have. I am in the process of developing a SHTF group now. I believe that the most important things for a "survival group" are comms, location, and pre-agreed to rules.

You are spot on when you said that your location is adjacent to a town, but not inside. The distance from the town should depend on a couple factors, such as nuclear strike probability, strategic importance and population size.

A predetermined location where all members of your group meet without receiving a message is important. For instance, an "if,when" checklist should be formulated.

"IF electronic communications cease, THEN proceed directly to location".
"IF martial law is declared, THEN proceed via backwoods route, ensure no tails".
etc.

Comms are tricky. In the event of an EMP attack, virtually all electronic comms are a no-go. My favored methods are smoke signals (three fires on predetermined mountain for instance) or predetermined dead drops. The drawbacks for smoke are obvious, as wind, clouds or a darkened sky will make observation of fires difficult. Drawback to dead drop is the travel and exposure. If electronics are an option, short range CB transmissions are useful but give away location. Your hide should be receive only! Longer range can use ham radio, but its expensive and also reveals location. If cell service works, burner phones are wonderful.

Most importantly, your group should decide on the rules governing actions by the group before any event happens. Common Law works great. Rations should be predetermined. I prefer the BYOB method... bring whatever supplies you expect to need. I think that personal decisions for charity are much less fractious than group decisions. However, the survival location needs to be protected as well. Adding members after SHTF is another item for consideration. That leads into security protocol...

Anyway, please post comments! One last thing, I would avoid any references to "militia" or "compound", because that just increases your likelyhood of attacks by the "government" etc. LOW PROFILE!!! I also discourage "practicing", as this increases visibility. Commitment level should be on an individual basis, using materials. Everyone should bring to the group what they can, and usefulness to the group should be a large determining factor. IE one person has skill with construction but has little money to spend on prep would be on the same level as an older gentleman who has few skills but buys enough storable food and other resources to maintain several people.

1)How best to vett persons you might consider for your group?

2)How best to organize? (This question covers a lot)

3)What amount of practice or group training should you expect from persons who "Sign on"?

4)What is the appropriate expectation of commitment should you have from people? (IE, prestaging of supplies, pitching in on expenses for site infrastructure upgrades...etc?

1) Direct family and those close friends you'd literally take a bullet for. If you have a doubt about them then they'd not fit in with your mission statement.

2) Camping trips. Innocuous, but a great way to measure how quickly people can get to a location under their own power and ability. Use it as a training session and team building experience.

3) How much do you want them to have? If you're building a group then you should have a base-line training scheme in place for every member. Each person will bring skills to the table specific to their lives, but you should train them in the basics as well.

4) None. Don't expect a damned thing. If you need work done on the site then double book the amount of workers you want out there and expect less than half to show. Even the most dedicated will flake out some times. If you want 1000 rolls of TP then ask each person in your group for 2 rolls each and build up from there.

It's all about herding cats, man.

I think the most difficult part is finding people who have the same beliefs and correct temperament as you who you can trust and honestly get along with and can function day to day with.

Then looking at areas of expertise and what roles you need to fill.

Try reading Patriots: Surviving the coming collapse, it looks at this specific topic. It's contains it's share of fluff, but it's not bad.

As for coms, proper storage and prepanning are the way to go. Do some reasearch on faraday cages and storage of electronics.

Yeppers, after you have studied everything else and it gets down to studying people you will find that is the real problem. First question I would ask is "did you vote for Obama". That will thin out the herd of possible candidates by about 56% :s0112::s0112:

Got a few other questions I would ask and it only takes moments to figure out if you would risk life and limb for them.

jj

I did this once, just the once.
Diverse skills but homogenious culture/politics
If they act even a tiny bit doubtful in any way, don't even let them into the 1st meeting
establish a rotating chain of command so there are always 3 potential replacement "leaders"

1) Direct family and those close friends you'd literally take a bullet for. If you have a doubt about them then they'd not fit in with your mission statement.

2) Camping trips. Innocuous, but a great way to measure how quickly people can get to a location under their own power and ability. Use it as a training session and team building experience.

3) How much do you want them to have? If you're building a group then you should have a base-line training scheme in place for every member. Each person will bring skills to the table specific to their lives, but you should train them in the basics as well.

4) None. Don't expect a damned thing. If you need work done on the site then double book the amount of workers you want out there and expect less than half to show. Even the most dedicated will flake out some times. If you want 1000 rolls of TP then ask each person in your group for 2 rolls each and build up from there.

It's all about herding cats, man.
+1

I'd like to add commentary to yours if you'll allow me.

1. Same as above, but keep in mind if you wouldn't do the same, they probably won't do it for you either.

2. Team building involves communication. If you don't like being told what to do, you better have the MOST useful skills out of the whole group, and that includes interpersonal-communication skills. Being a good listener is not enough, as you will not only need to be able to identify the mental needs of your friends and family members, but you will need to be able to verbally coach them. And that's just ONE thing you will need if you decide to take the leadership role.

3. Having a group shouldn't be about your chances for survival, if it is, your group will eventually find this out and you will all fail. You should value the group's survival as much, if not more than you value yourself. You may want to welcome the idea of someone training you, even if they come from a humble background. You may be the best physically for leadership, but if someone weaker can offer something you can't do, be ready to learn.

4. Exactly what is said above. You may have the idea to prep, but execution lies in those who are actively preparing for it. If you put out the idea, but didn't prepare, whose sincerity is lacking? Your friends and family will notice this as well.

You're talking about bringing people in to a life or death situation. Are they actually going to add to your chances of survival or do you just want the company? I would personally prefer to keep the amount of people around in a SHTF situation to an absolute minimum to reduce conflicts, use of food and other supplies, risk of illness, risk of revealing your bug out location. On the other hand if you're not a mechanic or a surgeon or hunter it might be good to involve these people. Then there's the whole strenth in numbers things in case you encounter a large group of looters. But, in my not so humble opinion, less is better

Better make sure whoever you invite understands it's only them, and not their extended families, neighbors, bar friends, and other "important" people in their life.

This account of the Katrina disaster drove that idea home for me - guy invited two friends and their families; ended up with 30 people camped at his place:

I had told two friends to bring themselves and their families to my home. They, unknown to me, told half-a-dozen other families to come too - "He's a good guy, I'm sure he won't mind!" Well, I did mind... but since the circumstances weren't personally dangerous, I allowed them all to hang around. However, if things had been worse, I would have been very nasty indeed to their friends (and even nastier to them, for inviting others without clearing it with me first!). If you are a place of refuge for your friends, make sure they know that this applies to them ONLY, not their other friends. Similarly, if you have someone willing to offer you refuge, don't presume on his/her hospitality by arriving with others unforewarned.

This is probably less likely with an organized group, but something to consider.

In our case the group won't be in so much of a bug out hidden retreat location. We will be in a somewhat rural area on the out skirts of town. Plenty of neighbors around but not densely populated in the immediate area. My hope is that our group will be able to band together with the neighboring people for mutual protection and general support. My location does not offer any real possibility of hiding. Keeping a low profile will be possible but will take effort.

Many people suggest that I should only trust family members and the closest of friends to join the group. For now it is only my wife and I and one member of my extended family included. My wife is tolerant of my preps and the other family member is not as dedicated as I am in his efforts so far. In short..... I am on my own really. As it stands I can't hold my ground myself. We simply need greater numbers, not a lot, but some.

With no others in my family or social circle who are prepping I will be forced to look outside for support.
Sounds like I am screwed.

With no others in my family or social circle who are prepping I will be forced to look outside for support.
Sounds like I am screwed.

I have the same feeling. My husband tolerates my preps, but is just starting to come around to understanding why I am prepping. As for other friends/family they are unwilling/unable/unfit to try to work into any plans that we have. I don't want to give up on the idea even though it seems like a daunting task to find like-minded people...except on the internet of course ;)

You're talking about bringing people in to a life or death situation. Are they actually going to add to your chances of survival or do you just want the company? I would personally prefer to keep the amount of people around in a SHTF situation to an absolute minimum to reduce conflicts, use of food and other supplies, risk of illness, risk of revealing your bug out location. On the other hand if you're not a mechanic or a surgeon or hunter it might be good to involve these people. Then there's the whole strenth in numbers things in case you encounter a large group of looters. But, in my not so humble opinion, less is better

But don't forget to consider not just daily upkeep but defensive needs as well. 24 hour look-out, a daily patrol, basic scouting. People have to sleep and others need to watch while they do. 24x7 shifts allowing for time for other duties, eating, relaxing, cross training etc. You are looking at more then just a couple people for that, never mind a functioning working farm.

Try putting together a duty roster and seeing what you come up with. And be realistic, someone can't sit watching an empty road for 12 hours.

IE one person has skill with construction but has little money to spend on prep would be on the same level as an older gentleman who has few skills but buys enough storable food and other resources to maintain several people.

Are you saying... A person with little money is almost useless? An older person is almost as useless except for the money they have?

Are you saying... A person with little money is almost useless? An older person is almost as useless except for the money they have?

LOL! I certainly wouldn't tell my step-father that. I'd sooner have him in a SHTF situation then someone with a bucket of money. Carpenter, electrician, all around handy guy. When the SHTF hands on knowledge will go a long way towards ensuring survival out there.

Informal group. Annual hunting trips. 2 to 3 week hunting camp each year. Fishing trips. Members are mostly family. Others are long term friends. 20 plus years. Worst shot placement when target practicing can end up being camp cook and dish washer for a couple of days. No talk about preping, but everyone is ready to camping for a month in two days notice. We also have our favoite camping sites. I am the only one in the group with military training and have passed alot on to the others and the younger generation. The passing of information is also accompied with a lot of good natured ribbing until the project is succesfully completed. Everyone in the group looks for something that will benefit the group. Yes, I have had to put on the dunce hat.

I have the same feeling. My husband tolerates my preps, but is just starting to come around to understanding why I am prepping. As for other friends/family they are unwilling/unable/unfit to try to work into any plans that we have. I don't want to give up on the idea even though it seems like a daunting task to find like-minded people...except on the internet of course ;)

I have the same sentiment, my girl understands and accepts "what" i'm doing, and is learning "how", but hates thinking about the "why". And the list of "trusted" people in the Valley I know that i'd give food, shelter, or guns/equipment to is, well, lacking. (without starting a flame-debate, this is in general)most types of long term survival plans require more than just one person... (of course i know one of those locals who could pull it off :p )

As far as forming a group, or "team" ...i'm open to the idea, but my brain's more in defensive logisistics than leadership...

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top