JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

atdPaine-JOBS-0702-1.png

"As hopes of a V-shape recovery begin to fade, many are now wondering, will these layoffs be permanent?" asks Forbes Contributor, Renee Morad. "A recent study by the National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER) estimates that 42% of corona virus-related layoffs will become permanent job losses."

The maximum extended benefit amount payable to any eligible individual with respect to the applicable benefit year shall be:

(a)50 percent of the total amount of regular benefits which were payable to the individual under this chapter in the applicable benefit year; or

(b)With respect to weeks beginning in a high unemployment period, 80 percent of the total amount of regular benefits which were payable to the individual under this chapter in the applicable benefit year.

So remember, this is the last week that the Federal $600 "expanded" benefit will be paid for UI (for most states) as the benefit ends on a Friday next week so most states won't pay it for next week because their benefit week ends on Saturday - gotta love gov bureaucracy.

That said, Congress is working on extending the expansion, and it looks like that is a very probably outcome. But the expanded benefit will almost surely not be a flat $600 for everybody. It will probably be some calculated percentage (GOP wants 70%) of previous wages based on some calculation, probably with a maximum (for me, if they guaranteed 70% total of my job income, it would be way more than $600 extra).

I won't go into details because they are few and complicated and in major flux - i.e., TBD - and it isn't worth speculating on them until they come to an agreement and the details are released. But it does look like there will be an expanded federal benefit extension. For how long and how much is TBD. Stay tuned as we will probably learn more next week. Meanwhile, don't plan on that extra $600 being paid for next week's claims.

In recent days, senior congressional Republicans and Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin have discussed replacing this universal federal bonus with one tied to workers' income before their job was lost. Instead of sending a $600-per-week bonus to every unemployed person, under this plan the federal government would provide a bonus amounting to about half of the existing state bonus, according to three senior GOP officials, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe fast-moving and internal deliberations.

Mnuchin and President Trump have said publicly that they want to have the new payments replace roughly "70 percent" of a worker's prior income. This would represent a combination of the nearly 50 percent state contribution of a worker's prior income plus an additional 25 percent kicked in by the federal government. Republican lawmakers have discussed extending the flat payment at about $200-per-week instead of $600 to give the states time to adjust to the new formula and system.

"We are going to extend it on the basis of wage replacement — it's approximately at 70 percent of wage replacement," Mnuchin told reporters on Thursday about the GOP's proposed plan. "We realize there are a lot of hard-working Americans because of covid [who] still won't have jobs."

Other leading Republican lawmakers have argued for cutting the $600-per-week bonus down to $200-per-week, these people said, with one possibility being that this amount slowly phases out over time. These GOP officials have insisted that targeted wage replacement could prove too difficult for the states to implement.

One Senate Republican aide close to the negotiations, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss internal matters, said that a $200 flat payment represented the party's "default" position, with additional funding included to help states upgrade their unemployment systems. The aide downplayed the odds of the GOP approving the more complicated replacement instead of the $200-per-week extension.

Basically, EB (Extended UI Benefits) are UI benefits that you may get when all other benefits (like the current "emergency" benefits) have expired for you.

These come from a fund that is a mix of state and federal funds. They usually go into effect when the unemployment rate is higher than a certain percentage (HUP).

Right now, EB is in effect for Oregon and WA state, indeed, for 49 states and some territories (read the article above).

The map in the article shows how long the EBs last for each state, but I am not sure how that applies when there is "emergency" benefits in place. Meanwhile, if your 26 regular weeks and 13 weeks of federal extension benefits (emergency) have run out, keep making weekly claims and contact your unemployment office for info on whether you can get EB benefits.

My 21 year old just got a dental letter from Oregon. He has been looking for work since April. My 19 year old gave up claiming weeks ago. That leaves the 24 year old who got fired for calling in sick back in March and with a still unprocessed claim.

My 21 year old just got a dental letter from Oregon. He has been looking for work since April. My 19 year old gave up claiming weeks ago. That leaves the 24 year old who got fired for calling in sick back in March and with a still unprocessed claim.

They rely on people to give up, and half the time their reasons for denial are bogus, the other half is missing info. A person has to be persistent with them if they feel they are eligible for benefits - especially with the automated systems Oregon has.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top