JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thermal would be super to have.

Both for game & to keep aware of possible 2 legged problems.

Thermal on a drone? Even more so.

Figure that hunting regs would be out the window, less game would be a likely concern due to over hunting/wanton waste. Folks heading to "the woods" etc.

Thermal would allow you to hunt extremely efficiently, while also being reasonably assured there wouldn't be people around when you harvest.

I'd figure suppressed shooting would also be handy, or bow (if you have the field craft to get close enough).

Even if not hunting at all, would allow for super efficient watch!

I probably would not use it for hunting - I have deer come up onto my deck and patio. I can throw rocks and hit them.

I would use it for detecting trespassers.

I would want thermal/etc. cams around the immediate area of the house, but further out it would be good to see intruders before they got in sight of the house.

I am the eye in the sky...
If I ever get a drone...I'm naming it Alan Parsons..... :D
Andy

A long time ago in another lifetime, on a jungle laden land-bridge between two continents, far far away from any light pollution at night, in between pulling perimeter guard on our position we'd lay out our poncho liners folded in half lengthwise then lay on our backs and stare at the AMAZING display of stars in a CRYSTAL clear night sky.

When noise discipline wasn't a concern we'd whip out the ol' cassette tape player (LOL) and play this song (among others)….. and pick out all the spy satellites flying overhead.

It was powerfully "amusing" back then and we'd even chuckle about it…. but not so much anymore these days.

Having said that, I'm all for them drones with thermal going after wild hogs. They multiply like rabbits, cause immense damage to the environment (and people's property), and can be extremely dangerous to man and beast alike!

Funny, we have a poaching problem. Heard a drone one evening at sunset and went looking to see if I figure out who was running it. It came down and got pretty close to me so I shouldered the 12ga. Man that thing grabbed air so fast you would have thought it got shot out of a cannon. It made a beeline over the horizon.

I found out later that you could get in trouble for shooting them even on your property.

SHTF? Those suckers are free game. Nobody I know would let one get near them.

Funny, we have a poaching problem. Heard a drone one evening at sunset and went looking to see if I figure out who was running it. It came down and got pretty close to me so I shouldered the 12ga. Man that thing grabbed air so fast you would have thought it got shot out of a cannon. It made a beeline over the horizon.

I found out later that you could get in trouble for shooting them even on your property.

SHTF? Those suckers are free game. Nobody I know would let one get near them.
They don't have to get near enough that you can shoot them - they can hover at 500' or more and still be able to read a newspaper. For SHTF purposes all they need to be able to do is see where you or game are. As for noise, the newer small ones are pretty quiet.

They don't have to get near enough that you can shoot them - they can hover at 500' or more and still be able to read a newspaper. For SHTF purposes all they need to be able to do is see where you or game are. As for noise, the newer small ones are pretty quiet.

Do they have a thermal signature? A infrared?

I can hit some far a away stuff...

I'm sure they're real handy but they aren't invisible or bullet proof.

I can definitely see why one should be on the list. I think I will be really careful with it though. Maybe have several.

A long time ago in another lifetime, on a jungle laden land-bridge between two continents, far far away from any light pollution at night, in between pulling perimeter guard on our position we'd lay out our poncho liners folded in half lengthwise then lay on our backs and stare at the AMAZING display of stars in a CRYSTAL clear night sky.

When noise discipline wasn't a concern we'd whip out the ol' cassette tape player (LOL) and play this song (among others)….. and pick out all the spy satellites flying overhead.

It was powerfully "amusing" back then and we'd even chuckle about it…. but not so much anymore these days.

Having said that, I'm all for them drones with thermal going after wild hogs. They multiply like rabbits, cause immense damage to the environment (and people's property), and can be extremely dangerous to man and beast alike!
Used to do thesamein Wyoming in the mid '80s. What surprises me is how many more there are now.

Hope that drone is quiet. If rule of law went out the window, I know enough people who are fed up with a holes and their drones to just shoot them out of the sky. The FAA and stiff fines for doing so are the only things stopping it, imho

Hope that drone is quiet. If rule of law went out the window, I know enough people who are fed up with a holes and their drones to just shoot them out of the sky. The FAA and stiff fines for doing so are the only things stopping it, imho
I would only fly over my property and possibly the neighborhood with permission of the neighbors, the latter only if SHTF. Otherwise I have little reason to fly a drone regularly.

What Drone are you talking about some Military thing. I have a 16 power telephoto lens for my digital SLR and a huge Wooden tripod for it. And no way could I ever read a newspaper at 500 ft with it.

What Drone are you talking about some Military thing. I have a 16 power telephoto lens for my digital SLR and a huge Wooden tripod for it. And no way could I ever read a newspaper at 500 ft with it.
Ok, I was maybe exaggerating a little. My point was with a good zoom you don't need to be close enough that someone could shoot down the drone with a shotgun (an nobody is going to be able to shoot down a moving drone at 500' with a rifle or pistol).

Small compact cameras now have 30X optical zooms that would fit on a small civilian drone.

yeah hitting a moving drone is a tough one.

prop technology has changed a bit and they do have noise reduction props on the market. but think of it like hunting. you always approach game from down wind, the same can be applied to drones. even with stock props its always surprising how close the drones get before they hear them.

as for Mil group 1,2 single /multi rotor drones the resolution of the camera is dependent on the RFP that was put out. cameras fall into one of these categories. some are "wow", others "hmmm, i can make this work" and last category "WTF is this".

civilian group 1,2 drones are a whole different level of airframe for the most part

Pricey but worth it. I already have a Mavic Mini and it's a nice compact drone with a good camera and decent range enough for recon anyway. By no means a night drone but it's better than nothing. I'd rather spend the money on food storage, ammo, gun parts, water and water filtration and so on.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top