JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Someone has been using a drone to scope out my moms place/our BUL in the gorge. I've been trying to come up with ways to snatch it. They're pretty bold, hovering in front of windows. My mom doesn't want to shoot it down because she's convinced that she'll be able to find out who's it is by checking the sd card if it has one.

what I've seen of it on our camera is that it's a smaller one, like a mavic, that probably needs line of sight to connect, which means that they're either on the property or on the road at the end of the driveway.

Both of those would require me being there. Moms has no idea how to operate any sort of disruption software, and I'd have to learn it. Secondly, I'd imagine that if the operator saw a person with a net outside they'd fly it away. Either way, it's a pressing issue that I need to solve, and the only member here that I'd be willing to ask for help who lives near her is on the edge of elderly and has an infirm wife to care for. Anyone else I'd trust has the same issues I do, wherein they work in Portland and can't necessarily be out in the sticks in the middle of the night.
depending on the firmware if you can disrupt 2.4, 5.8 and GPS it will automatically land, if not something like a cast net with no weights works pretty well

@rcnpthfndr Local Leo is multco sheriff. They've been notified but let us know that unless they're out there and catch it in the act, there's nothing they can do. It's something like a 40 minute minimum response time. I don't know what "5ws" mean but if it's a visual identifier, they solely do this at night.

The .gov owns the airspace over your house. I dont even think its technically trespassing and disrupting anything the FAA considers aircraft is frowned upon. What you say can and will be used against you in a court of law.
There is apparently a lot of disagreement legally as to where your property ends in the up direction. I've heard ranges from 50 to 1000 feet. Seems to me it should be at least 1000 in the city and a lot more than that elsewhere.

The .gov owns the airspace over your house. I dont even think its technically trespassing and disrupting anything the FAA considers aircraft is frowned upon. What you say can and will be used against you in a court of law.
I do believe that aircraft has to stay a certain altitude above your property - 400'. Higher if the drone is within 400' of a structure.

I do believe that aircraft has to stay a certain altitude above your property - 400'. Higher if the drone is within 400' of a structure.
500 feet away from persons, structures etc.. was the standard for safely flying an aircraft 10 years ago but the airspace starts the moment you leave the ground, I haven't kept up with the regs if thats changed. The altitude you fly can legally be (exceptions apply) anything you want if you have a safe place to ditch. My point though is that you really don't have legal authority to drop a drone, its easily possible to be a survey under contract by the .gov for a number of routine reasons and disabling it could legally be the same as disabling a 747 flying over your house.

So just incase someone were to accidentally think its okay and brag about it...

I thought you owned the airspace above your property to a certain altitude... ? Its not much, but its yours....
I think its unreasonable that its illegal to shoot or otherwise take down a drone violating your property airspace, certainly anything within shotty range anyways.

i found this:

Hobby drones are also allowed to be flown at night if they have lights to help determine how high up they are and which direction they are headed.

Can a drone fly over my home/property?

The short answer is yes. The Federal Aviation Administration controls the air above your home, and property lines do not extend into the sky.

"Believe it or not, the airspace is considered a public thoroughfare, so it's just like the street at your house — where you have no right to keep people out of it," said Vic Moss, the co-owner of Drone U.

Can a drone record me in my own backyard?

Yes. According to Eby, property owners do not have an expectation of privacy when they are out in the open, even in their own backyards.

"Even if you did have an expectation of privacy, it wouldn't mean that you just have the right to club a drone out of the air. It would mean that you would have to go through legal channels in order to prevent that person from flying that drone over your property in the future and maybe obtaining monetary damages or other damages," Eby said.

Can I shoot a drone out of the sky?

No, you cannot shoot a drone out of the sky. Drones are considered aircraft by the National Transportation Safety Board and are protected.

"The same law that prevents you from shooting down a 747, or a Cessna 172, or something like that, protects our drones while we are in the air. You cannot shoot down an aircraft period. It is against federal law," Moss said.

Regardless of any of that, I just want to figure out who's doing it and why. I have no desire to destroy their property. If they're on the property I'll hit em with trespassing at the very least. Like the Sheriff dept. said, have to catch them in the act.

If you want a good TI device, then get ready to bend over. It's not quite as simple as hooking a TI onto a drone and expecting it to be focused on a target. The $22k Fluke FlexCam I used for non destructive testing in my past life was mediocre compared to what is now available.

If you want a good TI device, then get ready to bend over. It's not quite as simple as hooking a TI onto a drone and expecting it to be focused on a target. The $22k Fluke FlexCam I used for non destructive testing in my past life was mediocre compared to what is now available.
That is why I hold off as long as possible on buying some expensive Tech. The longer I wait the less expensive it is in the better the tech is

That is why I hold off as long as possible on buying some expensive Tech. The longer I wait the less expensive it is in the better the tech is
We have a new AGM Taipan TM25-384 2.5-20x Thermal Monocular and while it's pretty decent, it does require a lot of re-focusing as we move around. We can find baby goats hiding day or night, and while Mrs308 prefers the TI, I like my NV.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top