JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So hand guns pay a 10% excise tax. Rifles, shotguns, and ammunition pay a 11% excise tax.

So what about gun parts, do they require paying the Federal tax?

Just noticing that you can build a rifle cheaper then buying a complete rifle and am wondering if taxes plays into that.

Come to Washington and only pay an 8.4% sales tax.

:s0062:
===================================

So you are paying 19.4% tax for a new pistol?

I don't pay a WA sales tax unless I consume what I am buying in WA, like meals, and gas. But not on cars or tools.

So hand guns pay a 10% excise tax. Rifles, shotguns, and ammunition pay a 11% excise tax.

So what about gun parts, do they require paying the Federal tax?

Just noticing that you can build a rifle cheaper then buying a complete rifle and am wondering if taxes plays into that.

Huh? Where?

Huh? Where?

This must be included in the retail price, because I've never paid a sales/excise tax...

=================================
FAET is one of the manufacturers excise taxes imposed under Chapter 32 of the Internal Revenue Code (IRC). The tax is imposed on the manufacture, production, importation and sale of firearms, shells or cartridges.

Firearms - Guides - Importation & Verification of Firearms, Ammunition and Implements of War - Firearms and Ammunition Excise Tax (FAET) | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

It's my understanding that the ammunition tax goes towards wildlife management. Not sure what happens to the firearms tax but these taxes have been around longer then any of us.

probably included in price. I try to buy most of my ammo online cause cheaper.

Local places charge around a 38-50% markup on ammo from what I pay online.

Walmart is actually the only local retailer that only charges about 11% markup on what I pay online for rifle ammo + 8.6% sales tax which I fear I will have to start paying soon on ammo orders ugh.

now shotgun ammo on the other hand: I can't get a better price than what walmart sells target loads for...even with sales tax wally-world is still cheaper for 12ga ammo.

They got some kinda deal going on with federal and winchester to get 100rd bulk packs for stupid cheap and it seems exclusive to them as I have never seen those bulk packs for sale anywhere else.

Yes, the tax is on firearm and ammunition manufacturers and also on firearm and ammo importers.
We don't pay these fees at the retail level but they still factor into the cost of selling them.
Bullets and casings also fall under FAET. The law was passed back in 1919.

But what about something like a 5.56 complete upper, it's not considered a firearm right?

Yes, the tax is on firearm and ammunition manufacturers and also on firearm and ammo importers.
We don't pay these fees at the retail level but they still factor into the cost of selling them.

But what about something like a 5.56 complete upper, it's not considered a firearm right?
Correct.

I think you'd probably come out ahead building one anyway, especially if you wanted anything other than a totally standard rifle, excise tax or no.

It's always just $XX more for the better part, but you do that 20 times and it really adds up.

I don't even want to know how much I have into some builds.:confused:

I put somewhere around $2000 (I lost track) into my Para P14.45 for USPSA Limited. Not even a race gun (Open division). There were very few complete USPSA handguns at the time. But I coulda had an STI if I spent the $$ all at once. Yep, it crept up on me!!! :rolleyes::oops:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top