JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Might check b.s. laws...
In MI and OH, there is a law, if you buy a car part that has a core, even if you bring the core in at purchase, you get charged the total as if no core, TAXED on the total, the refunded only the core, and NOT the tax on the core...
MI and OH politicians need whipped with a car antenna to the CORE!

Joe

Washington business taxes are due quarterly if your making money…. 50k+, If not then yearly. The tax should be returned if they are legit, or they are going broke and willing to shaft the very hand that feeds them as they wither away….. sorry for the headache🤙🏼 Hope it turns out well.. soon!

What a damn mess. The sad truth is you are dealing with a gov agency. As for the store it does sound fishy. As mentioned when I return something for a refund I get refunded both the cost of the item and the sales tax. Problem of course is to force the store to return your money you have what seems like two choices. Take them to court, or go to the state agency they pay the tax too. I do not envy you having to go either path. How far and hard do you want to fight over this amount of money? I would guess the first place to start would be with the state but I will be shocked if you get anything out of them without a HUGE hassle. I will be interested to see how this shakes out though and I would NEVER set foot in this store after this.

Had to pay ffl fee twice. Once for return and one when I filed and didn't get the gun.
1691896639588.png

Rip of joint! Scamming you on the sales tax and double FFL transfer fee (incoming and outgoing)... half of which they never provided any service?

Washington State... sales tax is refundable for consumer goods and services returns/cancellations. If they refuse then you don't have to take them to court. Just submit a return claim with the state revenue service.

View attachment 1469446

Rip of joint! Scamming you on the sales tax and double FFL transfer fee (incoming and outgoing)... half of which they never provided any service?

Washington State... sales tax is refundable for consumer goods and services returns/cancellations. If they refuse then you don't have to take them to court. Just submit a return claim with the state revenue service.

Yeh man they use to be really good. I guess extra $40 outgoing will help them 😂

What a damn mess. The sad truth is you are dealing with a gov agency. As for the store it does sound fishy. As mentioned when I return something for a refund I get refunded both the cost of the item and the sales tax. Problem of course is to force the store to return your money you have what seems like two choices. Take them to court, or go to the state agency they pay the tax too. I do not envy you having to go either path. How far and hard do you want to fight over this amount of money? I would guess the first place to start would be with the state but I will be shocked if you get anything out of them without a HUGE hassle. I will be interested to see how this shakes out though and I would NEVER set foot in this store after this.
Im never going back! As far as the getting money goes I think I'm over it was $120 and if that makes there life any better so be it. I'll just look at it as donations.

Im never going back! As far as the getting money goes I think I'm over it was $120 and if that makes there life any better so be it. I'll just look at it as donations.
I wouldn't. It only encourages them to do it again to the next shmoe. As long as you have your original and return receipt, just file with the state. It's simple and free so.... why not?

It's also not a violation reporting process so you don't have to feel guilty about shticking the gooberment on a LGS's nethers either.

Theft is theft... but it's not necessary to make a stink about it as long as, in the end, you're made whole, right(?)

I wouldn't. It only encourages them to do it again to the next shmoe. As long as you have your original and return receipt, just file with the state. It's simple and free so.... why not?

It's also not a violation reporting process so you don't have to feel guilty about shticking the gooberment on a LGS's nethers either.

Theft is theft... but it's not necessary to make a stink about it as long as, in the end, you're made whole, right(?)
That's true I'll file with the state for sure. But won't deal with a lot of hassle

IMHO---

If this was a transfer, Pantel received, you filled out the paperwork as the owner of the firearm, but couldn't make the transfer window in time then I can see the tax possibly being gone. Just like anything you buy out of state now gets taxed. You bought it and the transfer FFL can't control the tax. The state has made your FFL be the collector and re-mitter of said tax. Now you may be able to get it refunded from the state as guys have stated and I think there should be a mechanism for situations like this. Something like show the receipt on the return and where you paid and get it back. The state may have some insight as to when the "purchase was made" and at what point they get the tax in this case. It would be different if this was a "sale" that was undone at the selling FFL that collected the tax.

Two transfer fees of some sort is fair if you filled out BGC paperwork and couldn't get it through in time. They have done almost all of the transfer work at that point. Then you had them send this back or out of state after the NOGO and caused another transfer and should have reflected some shipping cost too. I personally wouldn't expect anyone to do work for me for free. If you had asked about the situation up front and were told differently then they should honor what was said, but it sounds like you are questioning this after the transactions like it was a surprise. It could be standard practice for them like it or not.

I think this whole BS law caught a pile of us trying to slide things in at the last second. While probably not a popular opinion I think you are upset at the wrong people. While it sucks, the last minute gamble didn't pay off on this one.

IMHO---

If this was a transfer, Pantel received, you filled out the paperwork as the owner of the firearm, but couldn't make the transfer window in time then I can see the tax possibly being gone. Just like anything you buy out of state now gets taxed. You bought it and the transfer FFL can't control the tax. The state has made your FFL be the collector and re-mitter of said tax. Now you may be able to get it refunded from the state as guys have stated and I think there should be a mechanism for situations like this. Something like show the receipt on the return and where you paid and get it back. The state may have some insight as to when the "purchase was made" and at what point they get the tax in this case. It would be different if this was a "sale" that was undone at the selling FFL that collected the tax.

Two transfer fees of some sort is fair if you filled out BGC paperwork and couldn't get it through in time. They have done almost all of the transfer work at that point. Then you had them send this back or out of state after the NOGO and caused another transfer and should have reflected some shipping cost too. I personally wouldn't expect anyone to do work for me for free. If you had asked about the situation up front and were told differently then they should honor what was said, but it sounds like you are questioning this after the transactions like it was a surprise. It could be standard practice for them like it or not.

I think this whole BS law caught a pile of us trying to slide things in at the last second. While probably not a popular opinion I think you are upset at the wrong people. While it sucks, the last minute gamble didn't pay off on this one.
That's a whole different story, the gun was bought really early. Before the ban, bought few more after with different ffl and this was the only 1 I didn't get. Background check was passed and everything was done I was on waiting period with 1 days left. They couldev gave me the gun but didn't. Even after I sent a video proof that was posted in here stating that if the background check is passed and everything's paid for the person should get the gun. That wasn't honored by the shop either.

IMHO---

Naw, if there was a chance this purchase might not go through or be successful before the ban took effect then the store shouldn't had let it proceed.

Then to just have the customer out $120 because of a gamble the shop shouldn't had placed a bet on is bad business imo.

That's a whole different story, the gun was bought really early. Before the ban, bought few more after with different ffl and this was the only 1 I didn't get. Background check was passed and everything was done I was on waiting period with 1 days left. They couldev gave me the gun but didn't. Even after I sent a video proof that was posted in here stating that if the background check is passed and everything's paid for the person should get the gun. That wasn't honored by the shop either.
That makes more sense why you were charged an incoming and outgoing transfer fee. They already did the incoming transfer work. The fact it didn't go to completion was beyond their control... but they did provide the service as agreed. The same would be true... if say... the customer simply decided he didn't want it any more. Outgoing transfers to return it is a separate service all together.

The tax thing though... I don't know why it seems to be such a difficult concept to grasp for some. Sales taxes are not remitted on a single transaction basis. It's paid as a total tax liability based on total sales records (all sales/returns). When an item is returned and the sales tax is refunded it will simply be deducted from their next monthly/quarterly (whatever payment interval WA state requires) tax liability.

So... if they already paid their tax liability covering the sale period... they are going to get that $120 deducted from their next tax liability payment. The state cannot collect sales/use taxes that where never sold or provided. The transfer fees.... I'm not sure if that's even taxable under WA states sales and use codes. It could be though.

So are you saying Pantel contacted you that they completed the BGC and you passed, then you showed up and they wouldn't give you the firearm? All before the deadline?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top