JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
1669743601933.png

As a business owner I'm sorry to say I don't think the vast majority of LGS will be able to make it a year, hopefully I'm rong. Trying to find a bright side in this since I won't be purchasing any new toys I plan on putting some of the ones that I currently have to use, and taking some classes that I've been wanting to for a while. maybe some of these local gun stores could hold some sit down hands on dry fire classes with some highly qualified instructors to supplement?

Missed transfer fees are going to be least of their income problems. I could be wrong, but I don't think this is where most shops make most of their money.

Of course the biggest markup is in accessories, but they are going to be out of all guns sales for a while. If people are not buying guns they are not making same day/impulse purchases on accessories for that new gun.

If people are not looking at/buying guns there is less reason for them to go to the gun store.

Ive always wished gun stores were better at selling accessories, a store might get by switching products until gun sales return.

Not an FFL, just my thoughts.

There are a lot of places to buy guns around currently. Some box stores (Bi-Mart, Coastal, Big 5, Sportsman's, etc) might retain gun sales but I could see this being the straw that gets some of them out of the gun business (Big 5 would be my first thought) but I think they'll generally weather the storm. The small FFLs and gun shops, not so much. I'm not privy to their books, but if you're a store based on selling X and you suddenly can't sell X for months or more, I don't see the sale of accessories, ammo, or even some classes as being able to fill that void. There are over a dozen decent little gun stores I can think of in the area. If an injunction isn't granted, I'd bet 2 or 3 a month will end up folding until they're all gone. Maybe a couple will survive as everyone funnels to the ones that are left for ammo and accessories, but I fear we're going to see a HUGE reduction in mom and pop gun shops and private FFLs.

We're entering some dark days and if this gets any sort of foothold I'm afraid the heyday of the small gun shop is over here in Oregon.

Of course, this is probably all part of the plan.

I did ask my local FFL a few weeks ago when I picked up my last two Oregon purchases ever. He has a pretty large NFA business and will subsist on that.

Good luck to all of them. IMO putting as many LGS out of business as possible was intentional in this nightmare. I wish they would do a class action against Oregon. The AG for sure would have seen this.

Id assume selling parts, range bags, gun safe firearm storage components, gun safe organization components as well as ammo and 10 round mags could be mainly what they sell now yntil this permit mess gets sorted. However it would seem "lift every chunts voice" is banking on FFLs running certified classes and making money that way.. or so they thought.. not sure FFLs are too eager to help them considering LECV cost FFL's TONS of money with 114.. the. Again.. do FFL's have a choice? No permits, no sales..

Id imagine just sourcing 10 round mags in general for many firearms would be a fantastic revenue stream simply because people may abide by the limited capacity law, want mags for their new firearm and not want to catch potential charges.. I dont see ban state 10 round limited mags often. Now that 114 is the supposed "law of the land" having a market for 10rnd mags could be a money maker as people still want carry/range mags and may have missed the mag buying window or perhaps want to remain within the law.

The for the rah-rah over eager types that may quote this, yes.. I know.. we should not bend the knee and not obey the law and I agree with you.. however This is simply forum dialog. For those that quote anyway..
I know, I know.. "The constitution is my CHL" "Ill carry standard capacity", "just source standard capacity mags".. I get it.. Im simply spitballing potential revenue streams for FFLs and possibly making the best of the situation we have.

Most new gun buyers post 12/8 wont have that type of mag access or even the mindset (post 12/8) to obtain the standard capacity (10+) mags.. and the availability of 10 round mags for certain firearms would be beneficial for them or anyone abiding by the asinine law because they are not common here (yet). So sourcing those 10 round mags for the time being, I could envision being a good revenue stream.

People will attempt to still obtain range mags/carry mags or just any mags to future guns they may purchase. For example, Im unsure of 5.7 pistol with 10 round mags, or various other 10 round mags for a variety of firearms with standard capacities over 10.

One item I found, AC unity makes a 10 round 92fs polymer mag so theres one affordable 114 limited mag to have in stock at $10+ per unit.

I'm having a hard time believing they can subsist on accessory and ammo sales. Their markup would have to be substantial just to make ends meet, and in these days of instant gratification internet sales, I just don't see it, unfortunately.

If they can't sell guns they will be out of business. Period. Transfers are not a profit center if they are paying employees. Those that already sell guns in volume online out of state will survive. Those who are low volume and don't get big discounts from distributors like big shops do will be done regardless. Those that do not have e-business will be done. Employees will be let go regardless.

They could always sell gun-free zone signs and calming barrels to help their bottom line.

Or put in a doughnut counter so the old timers that always seen to come in, BS all day, and never buy anything can at least contribute a little.

Not to sound heartless, but lgs are sort of the local bar that people frequent. They know their customers and can hopefully cater to their other needs. More fishing, hunting, boating merchandise. Maybe a meeting space to map out the future. While I share my genius here for free, I would pay a door fee for a good cause.

I've seen a few lgs go down when the big box stores started selling guns. A lgs that has closed down got me to see another side to firearms. A big store can't do that.

It's up to us to help keep them afloat during these times. NFA will help greatly with some if it ends up being that permits are not needed for suppressors. Then there is ammunition, accessories, uppers, optics, parts etc. In the coming months when you are shopping for stuff that a lot of us would normally price shop and have sent right to our door, it is imperative that we go and support out local FFL's instead. Otherwise you may end up not having a local FFL to go to in 2024.

Last Edited:
I wonder how many customers would be interested in purchasing firearms via lay-a-way programs?

The lay-a-way programs could be a way to help gun shops and customers alike. I have purchased firearms this way a few times and it prevented me from having to break out the credit card.

Out of state sales and consignment sales (for out of state buyers) could also continue.

Light gunsmithing services could be added.

Parts kits to finish 80% frames could be a product that might sell. If they were able to buy Glock pistols and strip parts from frame they could sell parts in state and frame out of state.

I would like to see some of the more experienced FFLs offer FFL classes. Allowing a student to shadow them for a day or two and observe how the processes actually work, might be helpful for somebody considering getting their FFL?

I honestly don't see how locally owned shops can survive long.. and it''s not really in their interest to try. Sapping any savings they might have, going into debt, and operaing at an ongoing monthly deficit just isn't smart business.

For those that have thriving out of state online sales, I think the business can survive, but not in it's current form. They dont need the high rents and paying location premiums if there isn't enough foot traffic to support it. I would think shuttering up and moving the business to a more affordable warehouse or similiar type operation would be the better option. "Presence" no longer being a big factor in their business operations.

As another mentioned... accessories do have a high profit margin, but I don't see how a local brick and mortar can compete with the online market. Without gun window shopping and sales to drive foot traffic and instant gratification buys... online retailers will bleed their accessories sales dry.

Training? Maybe, but is there sufficient market share to sustain a sudden and diverse number of providers? I dunno.... but from my limited view it seems the ones already existing often struggle to stay too far above water. Sufficiently maybe, but what if they suddendly had a 20% drop due to oversaturation of the market? It could collapse it and put many unable to keep their doors open.

Big box... it won't matter much at all. They simply shift their inventories to other states and make up the difference. They are too diversified for 114 to cripple them.

One other aspect that hasn't been mentioned much, but brandon has been driving the alphabets to pull FFL licenses by any means. One of them is new requirements on annual activity. If the license is not active enough it can be revoked or non-renewed... and I sincerely doubt they will go easy simply because it wasn't the FFL's fault the state they are in shut down their sales for too long.

There is no doubt it's all part of the plan. Shut down the ready means to obtain them, make the process itself prohibitively costly and time consuming, tear down the supporting industries (training), drive up prices by bleeding the mfg's with ongoing legal action and red tape... and you create a new generation of non gun owners.

I feel bad for all of you affected in Or. and hope some injunctive relief is on the way. I assume Wa is taking notes and licking it's chops to do something similar. It was kind of interesting talking to the owner of the pawn shop I have used for the last couple transfers here in Wa. He said he is pulling out all tools and other misc. crap and going to all firearms. It is a bold maneuver but I will fully support him the best I can.

I honestly don't see how locally owned shops can survive long.. and it''s not really in their interest to try. Sapping any savings they might have, going into debt, and operaing at an ongoing monthly deficit just isn't smart business.

For those that have thriving out of state online sales, I think the business can survive, but not in it's current form. They dont need the high rents and paying location premiums if there isn't enough foot traffic to support it. I would think shuttering up and moving the business to a more affordable warehouse or similiar type operation would be the better option. "Presence" no longer being a big factor in their business operations.

As another mentioned... accessories do have a high profit margin, but I don't see how a local brick and mortar can compete with the online market. Without gun window shopping and sales to drive foot traffic and instant gratification buys... online retailers will bleed their accessories sales dry.

Training? Maybe, but is there sufficient market share to sustain a sudden and diverse number of providers? I dunno.... but from my limited view it seems the ones already existing often struggle to stay too far above water. Sufficiently maybe, but what if they suddendly had a 20% drop due to oversaturation of the market? It could collapse it and put many unable to keep their doors open.

Big box... it won't matter much at all. They simply shift their inventories to other states and make up the difference. They are too diversified for 114 to cripple them.

One other aspect that hasn't been mentioned much, but brandon has been driving the alphabets to pull FFL licenses by any means. One of them is new requirements on annual activity. If the license is not active enough it can be revoked or non-renewed... and I sincerely doubt they will go easy simply because it wasn't the FFL's fault the state they are in shut down their sales for too long.

There is no doubt it's all part of the plan. Shut down the ready means to obtain them, make the process itself prohibitively costly and time consuming, tear down the supporting industries (training), drive up prices by bleeding the mfg's with ongoing legal action and red tape... and you create a new generation of non gun owners.
FFLs buying, selling and trading with each other would generate activity. The more FFLs we have the more opportunities for activity.

FFLs buying, selling and trading with each other would generate activity. The more FFLs we have the more opportunities for activity.
Exactly how much profit would that actually generate though? Margins would have to be incredibly thin as well to leave room for the other FFL/FFL's to get a cut off of. I kind of doubt it would generate anything remotly close to offsetting the loses due to no public firearm sales.

I don't own a gun shop and am not an FFL, but it "seems" like the volume just wouldn't be there.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top