JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
FFLs may soon have to deal with 11+ capacity mags coming in with shipped in transfers. Unless the court suspends the mag ban, it will be illegal to deliver 11+ capacity mags to customer. What options will you be offering to your customers to remove mags from the State?

FFLs may soon have to deal with 11+ capacity mags coming in with shipped in transfers. Unless the court suspends the mag ban, it will be illegal to deliver 11+ capacity mags to customer. What options will you be offering to your customers to remove mags from the State?
Put 'em in that box o' mags of coarse, fully expect it to outgrow the box 'o holsters.

Put 'em in that box o' mags of coarse, fully expect it to outgrow the box 'o holsters.
The customer won't be very happy with that solution.

I am thinking that FFLs could offer (for a fee + shipping cost) to ship them to family or friend of customer, who lives in free State? If the mags are cheap ones it probably wouldn't be worthwhile but if they are $40 a piece mags maybe it would be.

The customer won't be very happy with that solution.

I am thinking that FFLs could offer (for a fee + shipping cost) to ship them to family or friend of customer, who lives in free State? If the mags are cheap ones it probably wouldn't be worthwhile but if they are $40 a piece mags maybe it would be.
The customer will have no choice like it or not. OR is FAR from being first in this so its not something new. In some cases it will actually be kind of humorous. Assuming this law in OR stands it will be years and gun owners will still "just find out" about it. For every gun owner who only finds out about the law after it effects them? Great, that tells you they paid no attention to what was going on until it was too late.

In other states with mag bans, it seems the common practice is for FFL's to keep the mags and resale them out of state.

It would be nice if they would simply swap them out for 10rd mags so the customer has at least something to show for their money, and a functional firearm, but It's understandable that it's simply not practical for them to stock 10rd mags for every firearm make and model that might come through their doors.

IOW, gun buyers are simply SOL.

*I'm sure the fact that they can get away with it and make another $40+ off selling your mags, you already paid, to someone else isn't a motivating factor for them to do any differently, either. ;)

Last Edited:
An FFL answered this on another thread.
His explanation equates to too much liability to provide a firearm that was received with high caps.

I went in and asked the FFL I was using to give me my mags yesterday. Had already paid for the guns. Didn't ask before because I was certain I would get through the BGC prior to the 8th with my CHL. He said he couldn't give them to me and was not doing the 3 day rule. I decided to buy local and had planned on continuing to support him going forward. I actually got others to go there and probably got him about 10 guns sold in the past month. My plan is to bring a hammer or saw and destroy them if he won't compensate me fairly for them. Not selling my mags! Oh and not support them at all in the future.

I went in and asked the FFL I was using to give me my mags yesterday. Had already paid for the guns. Didn't ask before because I was certain I would get through the BGC prior to the 8th with my CHL. He said he couldn't give them to me and was not doing the 3 day rule. I decided to buy local and had planned on continuing to support him going forward. I actually got others to go there and probably got him about 10 guns sold in the past month. My plan is to bring a hammer or saw and destroy them if he won't compensate me fairly for them. Not selling my mags! Oh and not support them at all in the future.
He certainly "can", but chooses not to. Fine.

Don't be shy about it! Post which shop that is for others to be aware. Some of us are keeping score and if they don't feel a sense of responsibility to their customers or to support the 2A, which the law allows, they deserve to sit in the hot seat!

He certainly "can", but chooses not to. Fine.

Don't be shy about it! Post which shop that is for others to be aware. Some of us are keeping score and if they don't feel a sense of responsibility to their customers or to support the 2A, which the law allows, they deserve to sit in the hot seat!

Last Edited:
The tip of the iceberg for people beaching when they don't get their firearms that are currently in FFL jail.

Get your popcorn ready, Thursday is coming later this week.

And by the way, boycotting your LGS is a bit redundant at this point.

This is my suggestion for handling the mags after Dec 7th. Strip 11+ mags from gun package and put them in a bag with name and phone number of customer and then place them in 11+ mag crate. When the customer arrives to fill out background check inform him that it's illegal for us to transfer any 11+ mags to customers so we removed them from your package. We will hold the mags for at least 90 days and if the law changes before than we will call you to come pick them up.

This process would involve extra labor but should help prevent some of the counter rage that will no doubt occurr.

A second option for a fee would be to ship the mags to a free state address of their choosing.

This is my suggestion for handling the mags after Dec 7th. Strip 11+ mags from gun package and put them in a bag with name and phone number of customer and then place them in 11+ mag crate. When the customer arrives to fill out background check inform him that it's illegal for us to transfer any 11+ mags to customers so we removed them from your package. We will hold the mags for at least 90 days and if the law changes before than we will call you to come pick them up.

This process would involve extra labor but should help prevent some of the counter rage that will no doubt occurr.

A second option for a fee would be to ship the mags to a free state address of their choosing.
I love your optimism, but the mag ban is not going anywhere anytime soon. Other states still have it on the books after years of court battles.

I love your optimism, but the mag ban is not going anywhere anytime soon. Other states still have it on the books after years of court battles.
The idea behind keeping the mags for 90 days is more geared toward making customers less angry and providing some tiny shred of hope for them. The alternative is to say sorry we took your mags and we're going to sell them out of state so we can further enrich ourselves.

I guess it would be asking too much for people to think ahead that if they had a gun in a queue that might not come out before the new laws took place to go buy some mags off the shelf while they could. I don't have a lot of bubblegums to give for people who don't think ahead.

It's not like the LGS have a choice about these 11+round mags. I'm not gonna whine at them for a $50 - $100 hit I might take on magazines, when they're making business decisions about legal risk and the continuation of their lively-hood and feeding themselves and their families.

Gun dealers have 180 days from the effective date of the bill (currently the de facto date is 12/8/22) to dispose of 11+ round mags by a variety of means, including selling out of state.

Maybe a solution would be for the LGS to provide an in-store credit per 11+round mag that the LGS can't deliver to the buyer after 12/8.

The LGS will be selling mags out of state and will NOT get retail price for them. So the credit to the buyer wouldn't be the full retail price of the mag if purchased separately (the buyer is already getting the mags at a discount if included with the firearm).

Let's say the LGS is able to sell Glock mags for $10 to an out of state vendor. The LGS gives the buyer a $10 credit for each 11+round mag that came with the Glock. The buyer can decide to use that credit to buy 10-round mags from the LGS at the LGS's cost. Or, the buyer could purchase 10-round mags elsewhere and use the credit at the LGS for other products or services.

LGS's would probably have to do some footwork, or some guesswork, as to the price they can get for various brands of mags they would be selling out of state. But that would be an effort over a limited time and eventually end when all of the firearms transferred after 12/8 with 11+ round mags have been transferred.

Last Edited:
Stay Center Firearms in Madras. Sad because they do gunsmithimg and build long range rifles. I had actually talked to them about building a 7 PRC in the future and reblueing a couple guns I got when my dad passed. Guess I will be looking for a new place!
Eric
They called and let me take my mags. Understand the 3 day rule thing. It's their choice. Seem like good guys. So I bought another gun. Got put at the very end of the line even with a CHL. 35,000+. Lol

It's not like the LGS have a choice about these 11+round mags. I'm not gonna whine at them for a $50 - $100 hit I might take on magazines, when they're making business decisions about legal risk and the continuation of their lively-hood and feeding themselves and their families.

Gun dealers have 180 days from the effective date of the bill (currently the de facto date is 12/8/22) to dispose of 11+ round mags by a variety of means, including selling out of state.

Maybe a solution would be for the LGS to provide an in-store credit per 11+round mag that the LGS can't deliver to the buyer after 12/8.

The LGS will be selling mags out of state and will NOT get retail price for them. So the credit to the buyer wouldn't be the full retail price of the mag if purchased separately (the buyer is already getting the mags at a discount if included with the firearm).

Let's say the LGS is able to sell Glock mags for $10 to an out of state vendor. The LGS gives the buyer a $10 credit for each 11+round mag that came with the Glock. The buyer can decide to use that credit to buy 10-round mags from the LGS at the LGS's cost. Or, the buyer could purchase 10-round mags elsewhere and use the credit at the LGS for other products or services.

LGS's would probably have to do some footwork, or some guesswork, as to the price they can get for various brands of mags they would be selling out of state. But that would be an effort over a limited time and eventually end when all of the firearms transferred after 12/8 with 11+ round mags have been transferred.
I talked with the FFL about this and he doesn't want to deal with trying to resell mags out of state. He suggested that the customer could contact the dealer he received the mags from and see if they will send a tag to ship the mags back. He will most likely charge a fee to do this (unless it's a regular customer, I suppose)

He is adamant though they are not passed on to the customer after the 7th. Unless we get relief from courts (maybe we just did).

It is still illegal for a dealer in Washington to sell 10+ round magazines out of state. The law is not written to be state specific. Huge no-no.

"(1) No person in this state may manufacture, import, distribute, sell, or offer for sale any large capacity magazine, except as authorized in this section."

Period, there is no exception for out of state sales. I don't take 10+ magazine transfers but if I accidently received one, the magazines would have to be taken out and the FFL could not transfer them to the buyer. I would try and work with the customer and original FFL to see if they would be willing to consider an exchange for a 10 round option if available. Otherwise I'd feel sorry for the buyer who did not do their research. Contact an FFL in your state prior to purchasing and buying a firearm! Make sure you can legally transfer what you are trying to acquire! Most are willing to talk with you about it before hand to make sure you are satisfied with the transaction.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top