JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That is quite possibly one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen. Unfortunately, I think the majority of legislators in Washington and Oregon would see a list like that and start drooling uncontrollably.

Thanks for sharing.

The list of guns you can't buy (new from a dealer) in California would overload this website and make NWFA's servers explode. Residents can still buy off roster handguns from other California residents in face to face transactions or from consignment. Many off roster guns go for double the free state price.

Derringers? are there a lot of murders with Derringers?(since Lincoln anyhow))
Revolvers?....
..well, here's to Fudds that think THEIR "happy-hobby-fuzzy-guns" will be safe.:mad:

The grabbers will be adding their Super Soakers and paintball guns to the list soon.

Well, the good news is that because of all the gun laws, California has not had a shooting in thirty years. No Islamic terrorists shooting up a Christmas party in 2012, no gangbangers drawing unlicensed CCW pieces in bowling alleys in 2019, etc.

Residents can still buy off roster handguns from other California residents in face to face transactions or from consignment. Many off roster guns go for double the free state price.

And face to face in Cali means at a dealer, with a BGC and then the dealer holds the gun for 10 days. All that to pay twice the regular price...such a deal!

The California Roster is a list of handguns that:

1.) the State has deemed safe through testing

2.) the handgun manufacturers pay an annual fee to keep on the list once approved.

In California you will not see newer guns on the Roster due handgun manufacturers either not wishing to or not being able to meet/comply with California current standards for things like "micro-stamping" of bullets/casings, changer indicators, etc.

Every year we see a drop off of guns from the Roster. Some because their manufacturers decide to no longer sell old tech or decide not to pay the fee. Every year we see a few handguns added but most are existing handguns with minor changes (eg the current approved one is in black and a new FDE one is approved. If this seems ridiculous insider that if the new one was stainless steel slide and the old one was not then the new one probable would not be approved.)

Every year their is a "panic" by some who fear that the handgun they are getting ready to purchase is going away. Most often the handgun manufacture sends their check and the handgun is renewed. In this case check back in a few weeks and you will see a different list.

It is correct to say that the number of handguns on the Roster is decreasing year by year BUT not by 66 pages.

Non Roster handguns can not be purchased new in California. However, you can:

1.) find them for resale and purchase them through PPT (private party transfer at a FFL01). Most often the price is much higher due to supply and demand issues. For example, I saw a H&K VP9sk on this forum last week for $475. I saw two examples on CALGUNS in the last couple of days at $1,200 - $1,300 asking price. In my experience many newer non-Roster "free state" handguns that may be purchased in the $450 - $700 range are acquired in California in the $650 - $1,300 range.

2.) obtain a non-Roster handgun by means of a Intrastate Family Transfer from a direct relative (parent to child - grandparent to grandchild OR vise versa) as a gift. This IFT can occur when the relative comes to California with the handgun and meets the direct relative at a FFL01 to do the exempt DROS (some other paperwork is also needed.) This IFT can also occur by the out of state relative sending the handgun from their out of state FFL to a local California FFL01 with paper work. The local California relative then goes in and does the DROS. (NOTE: SENDING THE HANDGUN FROM OUT OF STATE DIRECTLY TO THE CALIFORNIA RELATIVE WHO THEN BRINGS IT TO THE CALIFORNIA FFL01 IS A FELONY AND PROBLEMATIC FOR BOTH PARTIES.)

Challenge of the Roster is currently an on-going law suit.

For those of you in OR and WA that are feeling the squeeze from new legislation, my suggestion is get involved, don;t give up, don't allow yourself to be isolated and fight hard. In my opinion, things like Rosters, ammo background checks and/or bans, so called assault weapon bans can all add up to the death by 1000 cuts to make it too much hassle for some to participate in a hobby/sport/??? and to ultimately remove all our 2A rights once and for all.

Last Edited:
The California Roster is a list of handguns that:

1.) the State has deemed safe through testing

2.) the handgun manufacturers pay an annual fee to keep on the list once approved.

In California you will not see newer guns on the Roster due handgun manufacturers either not wishing to or not being able to meet/comply with California current standards for things like "micro-stamping" of bullets/casings, changer indicators, etc.

Every year we see a drop off of guns from the Roster. Some because their manufacturers decide to no longer sell old tech or decide not to pay the fee. Every year we see a few handguns added but most are existing handguns with minor changes (eg the current approved one is in black and a new FDE one is approved. If this seems ridiculous insider that if the new one was stainless steel slide and the old one was not then the new one probable would not be approved.)

Every year their is a "panic" by some who fear that the handgun they are getting ready to purchase is going away. Most often the handgun manufacture sends their check and the handgun is renewed. In this case check back in a few weeks and you will see a different list.

It is correct to say that the number of handguns on the Roster is decreasing year by year BUT not by 66 pages.

Non Roster handguns can not be purchased new in California. However, you can:

1.) find them for resale and purchase them through PPT (private party transfer at a FFL01). Most often the price is much higher due to supply and demand issues. For example, I saw a H&K VP9sk on this forum last week for $475. I saw two examples on CALGUNS in the last couple of days at $1,200 - $1,300 asking price. In my experience many newer non-Roster "free state" handguns that may be purchased in the $450 - $700 range are acquired in California in the $650 - $1,300 range.

2.) obtain a non-Roster handgun by means of a Intrastate Family Transfer from a direct relative (parent to child - grandparent to grandchild OR vise versa) as a gift. This IFT can occur when the relative comes to California with the handgun and meets the direct relative at a FFL01 to do the exempt DROS (some other paperwork is also needed.) This IFT can also occur by the out of state relative sending the handgun from their out of state FFL to a local California FFL01 with paper work. The local California relative then goes in and does the DROS. (NOTE: SENDING THE HANDGUN FROM OUT OF STATE DIRECTLY TO THE CALIFORNIA RELATIVE WHO THEN BRINGS IT TO THE CALIFORNIA FFL01 IS A FELONY AND PROBLEMATIC FOR BOTH PARTIES.)

Challenge of the Roster is currently an on-going law suit.

For those of you in OR and WA that are feeling the squeeze from new legislation, my suggestion is get involved, don;t give up, don't allow yourself to be isolated and fight hard. In my opinion, things like Rosters, ammo background checks and/or bans, so called assault weapon bans can all add up to the death by 1000 cuts to make it too much hassle for some to participate in a hobby/sport/??? and to ultimately remove all our 2A rights once and for all.
Thanks for the insight. Sorry for what you have to endure down there. The Communists up here are drooling over the gun laws there.

Alexandra O C is druling over the chance to ruin the economy and have "free sh—t for everybody" paid by the "rich" and some politicians here are druling over the chance to punish suburban law abiding gun owners with worthless laws that benefit them personally with their base. Sick.

Thanks for the insight. Sorry for what you have to endure down there. The Communists up here are drooling over the gun laws there.

Thanks.

I'm sure there will be a lot of "monkey-see-monkey-do" laws. In other contexts the so called sharing between assault politicians of differing states might be considered conspiracy or racketeering.

Don't Kalifornicate WA!!!

No offense, but how's that working for you?

Respectfully, if this is your strategy to fight this foolishness you might need to rethink it and go for something different/stronger than tired bumper sticker phrases.

Please understand that I am not telling you what to do...just making a suggestion between neighbors.

PS - I've sent you my physician son and you are holding my 3 grandchildren for ransom. So, while I don't live in WA I do want it to be healthy and free. :)

Last Edited:

Respectfully, if this is your strategy to fight this foolishness you might need to rethink it and go for something different/stronger than tired bumper sticker phrases.

Please understand that I am not telling you what to do...just making a suggestion between neighbors.

PS - I've sent you my physician son and you are holding my 3 grandchildren for ransom. So, while I don't live in WA I do want it to be healthy and free. :)
Well to be honest, we're not exactly the crowd who spends weeks on end at the stupid protests. We are (mostly) adults and have jobs and families and don't have the time or inclination for silly things like stomping our feet and setting things on fire. We basically state our opinions about various things and move along with our day. Most of us are good with the tired slogans...for now. We have our get together's which mainly consist of shooting lane clean ups in the various State and National forests around here. But as a group we find it somewhat lifting to pass around the slogans. It builds solidarity and morale amongst us law abiding. You should check out our "not enough goofy humor" section.
Anyway, welcome to the forum! Nice to have an insider from CA. Your insight is indeed valuable to us frogs who are sitting in the boiling pot.

You didn't send me nothing & I hold no one ransom, talk to those who have destroyed your states rights into sleeping in the bed they made there.

Have a nice day.

Regarding the CA Roster, I saw the following stats in another forum. (Please note that these numbers are unverified):

Handguns dropped off the roster Jan 1, 2019.
Today we are down to 699.
In 2013 there were 1,320 available.
In 2014 there were 1,213 available.
In 2015 there were 822 available.
In 2016 there were 743 available.
in 2017-2018 there were less than 743 available.
Today the Approved list counts 699 Handguns available.
50% less than just a few years ago, thousands less than are manufactured and many are the same handgun in a different color.

Once again, some of the 1/1/2019 drop offs may pay their fess and come back on, but the overall trend appears downward.

So, if your state is talking about heading towards a Roster, be forewarned.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top