JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
I am originally from California and have a CA ID.
I have lived in Oregon for almost 3 years now as a college student.
I did not apply for a state ID because I did not think I would need one back then.
I have utility bills dating back that can prove I have been living here.
My car is registered in Oregon at my Oregon address.

Can I buy a handgun in Oregon and take possession in Oregon? Or do I have to do it in California?

Have you called a FFL in Oregon? They'll be able to give you an answer.

Just go to the Oregon DMV and get an Oregon drivers license, if you want to buy a handgun. I had a friend visiting from Arizona a couple of years ago and he was able to buy a shotgun from Sportmans with his Arizona ID which was a surprise but that won't fly with a handgun.

I am originally from California and have a CA ID.
I have lived in Oregon for almost 3 years now as a college student.
I did not apply for a state ID because I did not think I would need one back then.
I have utility bills dating back that can prove I have been living here.
My car is registered in Oregon at my Oregon address.

Can I buy a handgun in Oregon and take possession in Oregon? Or do I have to do it in California?
It would greatly simplify things if you obtained a state ID or OR DL.

Your utility bills can be used to help obtain residency status, in order to obtain a state ID, but in and of itself does not grant residency status. If that makes sense. Other doc's might be showing that you paid OR state income tax, voter registration in OR, etc.

There may be FFL's that "may" fudge around the corners, but in this day and age of federal "zero tolerance" policies... I wouldn't count on it. Maintaining an out of state license does in fact make you a "non-resident". Regardless of how much concurrent time you've spent living within the state.

You can buy a handgun in Oregon with your California Driver License and your Oregon DMV Passernger Vehicle Registration. Go to any Oregon FFL and get it done.

They will enter your CA Driver License for photo ID and your Oregon Passenger Registration as proof of residency/Address.

As long as you have a government issued document such as a valid ID, car registration, city water bill (power bill won't work as it is a private corporation), property tax statement, voter registration, etc

You should be fine. But like stated above call the FFL because not everyone is educated in what is acceptable. I've worked for an FFL and had my own FFL, but was still told no by a big box store when I asked about using my voter registration. The store employee was wrong but I just went somewhere else and spent my money.

Good luck.

Why are you avoiding just getting the ID you know will work? No two FFL's seem to work the same way now days so many are scared to death. Wife and I moved couple years ago and just updated our Drivers Licensees on line. They wanted money to send new ones so neither cared. Then last time went to buy a gun two different shops would not complete the sale without us showing something with our current address on it. Same state, same city, but they wanted proof of where we now live. So bottom line no matter what you are told here it may not work if you just show up at some shop. Go get an OR ID card.

Why are you avoiding just getting the ID you know will work? No two FFL's seem to work the same way now days so many are scared to death. Wife and I moved couple years ago and just updated our Drivers Licensees on line. They wanted money to send new ones so neither cared. Then last time went to buy a gun two different shops would not complete the sale without us showing something with our current address on it. Same state, same city, but they wanted proof of where we now live. So bottom line no matter what you are told here it may not work if you just show up at some shop. Go get an OR ID card.
Under the current administration a lot of FFL's are getting revoked for any little thing. I was told that by the ATF when I obtained my FFL a short time ago.

Joined today.

Immediately asks a legal question.

Doesn't interject at all in the convo.

My favorite…..

1000013531.jpg

In some states, in some situations, students from out of state can't establish residency.

And somewhere in ATF regs, a person can be a resident of 2 or more states, while they reside in that state.

Bruce

In some states, in some situations, students from out of state can't establish residency.

And somewhere in ATF regs, a person can be a resident of 2 or more states, while they reside in that state.

Bruce
I think there is some confusion between "residency status" and "domicile". You can only have one domicile state, regardless if you qualify for residency in another state or not. They aren't the same thing, but it's true that some states will not grant residency status while maintaining domicile status in another state. Your DL (or other state issued ID) determines which state is your domicile state.

*To note: There is one exception to that, but typically only for military members serving under orders away from their home/domicile state. But even then, they must actively maintain their home state status. IE., filing taxes in their home state, among others.

OR does, but there are still residency requirements that may be difficult for some students to meet. IE., a student living in student housing, etc.

Students aren't required to get an OR DL within 30 days if they remained domiciled in another state. IOW, have a "resident home" in another state of which they plan to return to.

Maintaining an out of state license... you are maintaining your "domicile" state... which means that state retains jurisdictional authority.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top