JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Favorite pistol from years gone by: I should never have sold it! Electroless nickel Colt Combat Commander .45acp. Made in the '70's, accurate, quick-shooting... fired everything I put thru it, ball, hp, lead swc, my reloads... traded it for something I can't remember what, I was a tradin' fool in those days. I've made noises to the guy that I'd trade or buy it back, but when he gets his hands on something he tends to hang on... So yeah... I've had many other 1911s, but always regretted that deal. Now I make do with a BHP or a Glock 21 3rd version...

Naming my favorite pistol is like choosing which child I love the most.

All of them are my favorite for different tasks.

The only red-headed stepchild is a Taurus G2c I bought on a whim. Great ergonomics, great size, horrible trigger, weak finish, and mediocre accuracy.

Self-defense: Sig P365

Woods carry: Gen 4 Glock G29

Scary accuracy that surprises people: Gen 4 Glock G29

All around SHTF grab it and go gun: Gen 5 Glock G19 MOS.

Wanting to feel like a cowboy: Cimmaron Arms 1873 Peacemaker Cavalry model.

You never forget your first. Then you stop appreciating her and trade up. Then you realize what you had but its too late. She's gone forever.

Sig P226R 9mm circa 2008. Never jammed and never missed. I sure do miss her.

For me as anyone who knows me knows, 1911. Of the two I have now the one my Father left me would be #1. One of my Ruger .22's see's FAR and away the most range time. Cheap and fun. After I let some here talk me into trying my hand at building an AR and I made my first AR pistol, well that comes in as a top contender now too, even though I never think of it as a pistol. I always joked that if the house was on fire and I could only grab one, 1911 would be it. Now I think I would be like Mel Gibson in that movie where the Soldiers set his home on fire and he comes running out with a bunch of guns in hands:s0140:

My 51 Colt 1911 that I bought from @orygun is still my favorite pistol to shoot. :)
Do you really have to remind me? :eek:

Just kidding. That's one of the best shooting pistols I ever owned, plus it's pretty nice to look at.
It certainly ranks in the top five (probably three) handguns I've ever owned.

My Sig P320 X5 Legion is my current favorite. Sees the most range time, I'm fastest out of a holster with it, and it's the most accurate for me. For carry, like op, it's a CZ 97b. Very comfortable, for a large pistol.

My only complaint is the lack of holster options. Been bugging Alien gear to make one for years and they have not. Took it to Blade tech and they made me one in about an hour.

You said you took it to Blade Tech... do you mean physically, to a brick and mortar? I need a left handed speed holster that works on a BOSS rig for it.... nobody seems to sell them. I got a really great concealed IWB holster made by Falco for left hand 7-8 o clock carry, but that doesn't work, if I wanted to shoot it at speed steel.

The first pistol I bought years ago was a very low SN Ruger Redhawk in .44 Mag, right after they came out. 7.5" barrel, and it's a shooter. One of the most accurate pistols in the safe. As my boys were growing up, it was most certainly a "rite of passage" to finally have big enough hands to shoot "the big one". Never had any work done on the gun, but it's trigger is amazing. Can't say enough good things about that one.

My "what the heck was that" gun is a Glock 17 in RTF2. Bought it with less than a box of ammo through it...and I really like it. Why they discontinued that frame texture is beyond me. I think it's perfect. It lives full of Speer Gold Dot with a Streamlight TLR2 mounted on it, ready for the unexpected.

My Sig P320 X5 Legion is my current favorite. Sees the most range time, I'm fastest out of a holster with it, and it's the most accurate for me. For carry, like op, it's a CZ 97b. Very comfortable, for a large pistol.

You said you took it to Blade Tech... do you mean physically, to a brick and mortar? I need a left handed speed holster that works on a BOSS rig for it.... nobody seems to sell them. I got a really great concealed IWB holster made by Falco for left hand 7-8 o clock carry, but that doesn't work, if I wanted to shoot it at speed steel.
Yes, physically took it to blade tech in Fredrickson and left the firearm with them. It kind of sucks too, because then they have the mold, charge you MSRP and then they make them for others that can be had at a discount from various vendors. In my mind I would do it for free for the original customer, but hey, not my company. My daughter had the very first Subaru Onyx XT in America. She had multiple vendors come to the house for measurements and other things. One guy flew from Wisconsin, spent an entire day here, took her out for dinner and gave her so much swag. She got a carbon fiber front spoiler for free. Grant it, it has a few flaws from machining, but you would never see them if we didn't show you.

Current favorite: Sig M11-A1
1E892A86-90B3-490D-A9D8-AC4C5351C817.jpeg
Previous Favorites:
Browning Hi Power ('84 Belgium polished blue model)
Colt Officers ACP (polished blue)
S&W Highway Patrolman
S&W K-22
1903 Colt Pocket Hammerless .32 ACP
and many, many others...

My own 'favorite' was a shooter/collector High Standard 10X 22 LR target pistol. With the factory target & original box, it was unexpected bonus after 5 seasons of weekly match use. With that and a companion High Standard Citation, I traded those & a short flat bed truck load of cedar shakes, for a significant down payment on some property I was after. Deals like that don't come around often. Neither do those 10X High Standards. Yes I miss it. Yes there was something 'just a little extra fine' in the handling & off hand accuracy department.

Those grips are slick.
I have an old 1911 A1 Colt with Ivory. But would love a pair on one of my1903's.

Did you buy those? Or did they come with the gun?
They came with it. It was my mother's gun mfr in 1915. I expect that she's the one who got the ivory grips for it. I do have the stock Colt Type I grips too.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top