JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What's your favorite or traditional Christmas dishes?

My mom has Norwegian heritage so she likes Lutefisk for Xmas. If you've ever tried it.... well, not my favorite fish.. She's 89 this year so I think I'll make her some. I always order lefse from Granrud's too.

( there ya go mjbskwim:D )

lutefisk

lutefisk_zpsh5el7xfo.jpg

What's your favorite or traditional Christmas dishes?

My mom has Norwegian heritage so she likes Lutefisk for Xmas. If you've ever tried it.... well, not my favorite fish.. She's 89 this year so I think I'll make her some. I always order lefse from Granrud's too.

( there ya go mjbskwim:D )

lutefisk

I also have Norge heritage and remember my Grandpa saying "that fish" was solely responsible for his immigration to the US of A. ;)

Cream herring with onions on rye crackers is always on our table this time of year. Head cheese and homemade bread with lots of butter also finds its way to Christmas dinner.

Heavy Swedish influence in my family, but thankfully, they all left anything herring back in Sweden. We focused more on things like Rosette cookies, spritz cookies, Swedish hotcakes and Swedish meatballs. But for Christmas dinner it was always prime rib, and my grandfather knew how to cook it perfectly - I miss him.

Christmas Eve (my favorite)!
Oyster Stew /w baby Yaquinas and baby potatoes
Crab Dip /w crackers
Tiny fancy breads /w Roast Beef, Ham and Turkey sandwiches, Cheeses and Condiments
Relish Tray
Fruit Tray
Pumpkin Pie /w Chantilly Cream

You make that yourself?

The bubblegum stumped me this time. Feet?
Yup, Only place I can find "salt herring (sill) "is in Jewish delis , (that's the herring you pickle) "Inlagd sill," my dad always made it at Christmas time, and I followed the tradition...:D

Last Edited:
I forgot to mention a treat I don't make very often, but it's awfully good - candied bacon. Considering the events of this year, I may just have to make an extra large batch this Christmas ;)

Oh, and my MIL makes a wonderful smoked salmon spread - awesome stuff.

Candied bacon. Thats a must share recipe! Bacon is already meaty candy - and u make it moreso?

It's VERY simple. Start with thick cut bacon - I prefer maple bacon, if possible. Take a large rimmed baking sheet and line it with foil. You're going to bake this in the oven, but leave it cold, no pre-heating. Then place a rack (like a cookie cooling rack) in the pan. take the strips of bacon and place them on some wax paper. Next, sprinkle a nice layer of brown sugar all over the strips and press the brown sugar in a bit. Flip the strips over and spread more brown sugar on that side, pressing it in so it sticks to the strip. Place the strips in the pan, on the rack, leaving 1/4" minimum between the strips.

Place the pan in the oven and set the temperature to 425 degrees. Set the timer for 20 minutes and walk away. After 20 minutes, check the bacon. At this point, it's up to you to decide how done you want it. If you want it crispy, you may need to let it go another 3-5 minutes. But also keep an eye on the sugar as it can start to burn. The point is to caramalize the sugar and get the bacon cooked.

Once it's done, pull it out of the oven and let it cool for a few minutes. After it's cooled a bit, transfer the strips onto a sheet of wax or parchment paper to cool completely (DON'T use paper towels, or you'll get a mouth full of paper with your bacon). They will probably stick to the rack, so be patient. Once they've cooled completely, you'll have some sweet candied strips of bacon that are about the best thing you've ever tasted. I dare say it could make ISIS change their minds ;)

Just FYI, if you are using thin strips of bacon, check it at about 15 minutes - it will take less time to cook.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads