Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Favorite Christmas dishes?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by edslhead, Dec 5, 2015.

1. edslhead

edslhead Vanc Gold Supporter Gold Supporter Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

What's your favorite or traditional Christmas dishes?

My mom has Norwegian heritage so she likes Lutefisk for Xmas. If you've ever tried it.... well, not my favorite fish.. She's 89 this year so I think I'll make her some. I always order lefse from Granrud's too.

( there ya go mjbskwim:D )

lutefisk

lutefisk_zpsh5el7xfo.jpg

mjbskwim and Chee-to like this.
  2. slimer13

slimer13 Deer Park Well-Known Member

Bourbon

3. rick49

rick49 Lewis Well-Known Member

I also have Norge heritage and remember my Grandpa saying "that fish" was solely responsible for his immigration to the US of A. ;)

Cream herring with onions on rye crackers is always on our table this time of year. Head cheese and homemade bread with lots of butter also finds its way to Christmas dinner.

4. edslhead

I got so excited to find some 22lr at Bi Mart, I forgot to get a bottle of JD:p

"Cream herring with onions on rye crackers"

That might be good!

5. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Heavy Swedish influence in my family, but thankfully, they all left anything herring back in Sweden. We focused more on things like Rosette cookies, spritz cookies, Swedish hotcakes and Swedish meatballs. But for Christmas dinner it was always prime rib, and my grandfather knew how to cook it perfectly - I miss him.

Stomper, Chee-to, edslhead and 3 others like this.
  6. Chee-to

Chee-to Oregon Well-Known Member

We loves our pickled herring....
    Pickled-herring-small.jpg

7. mkwerx

mkwerx Forest Grove, OR Well-Known Member

Christmas cookies and pumpkin pie. Spiral sliced honey ham. Cornbread stuffin. Hard to pick just one.

Stomper, Quacky88 and edslhead like this.
  8. BEN LILLY

BEN LILLY Lincoln City, OR NRA LIFE MEMBER Bronze Supporter

My mom's sausage turkey stuffing.

Stomper, Chee-to and edslhead like this.
  9. mrblond

mrblond Salem OR Well-Known Member

Got to be honest. Its really hard to beat smoked pigs bubblegum as my favorite food during Christmas, or any other day.

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  10. Salps

Salps Down by the river…. Well-Known Member

:s0087: eggs

mjbskwim, RicInOR and edslhead like this.
  11. Oregonhunter5

Oregonhunter5 2C IDAHO Well-Known Member

Thumbprint cookies all day long baby!

edslhead likes this.
  12. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Christmas Eve (my favorite)!
    Oyster Stew /w baby Yaquinas and baby potatoes
    Crab Dip /w crackers
    Tiny fancy breads /w Roast Beef, Ham and Turkey sandwiches, Cheeses and Condiments
    Relish Tray
    Fruit Tray
    Pumpkin Pie /w Chantilly Cream

Stomper, mjbskwim, Chee-to and 2 others like this.
  13. edslhead

Ma's too old now but she used to make scalloped oysters when I'd ask for em.:D:D

Stomper, Chee-to and rick49 like this.
  14. edslhead

You make that yourself?

The bubblegum stumped me this time. Feet?

15. Chee-to

Chee-to Oregon Well-Known Member

Yup, Only place I can find "salt herring (sill) "is in Jewish delis , (that's the herring you pickle) "Inlagd sill," my dad always made it at Christmas time, and I followed the tradition...:D

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
    Stomper, mjbskwim and edslhead like this.
  16. mrblond

mrblond Salem OR Well-Known Member

The bubblegum stumped me this time. Feet?[/QUOTE]
    it is another word for the piggs buttocks.

Stomper, Sgt Nambu and edslhead like this.
  17. rick49

rick49 Lewis Well-Known Member

Chee-to likes this.
  18. etrain16

I forgot to mention a treat I don't make very often, but it's awfully good - candied bacon. Considering the events of this year, I may just have to make an extra large batch this Christmas ;)

Oh, and my MIL makes a wonderful smoked salmon spread - awesome stuff.

19. mkwerx

mkwerx Forest Grove, OR Well-Known Member

Candied bacon. Thats a must share recipe! Bacon is already meaty candy - and u make it moreso?

Chee-to, Stomper and etrain16 like this.
  20. etrain16

It's VERY simple. Start with thick cut bacon - I prefer maple bacon, if possible. Take a large rimmed baking sheet and line it with foil. You're going to bake this in the oven, but leave it cold, no pre-heating. Then place a rack (like a cookie cooling rack) in the pan. take the strips of bacon and place them on some wax paper. Next, sprinkle a nice layer of brown sugar all over the strips and press the brown sugar in a bit. Flip the strips over and spread more brown sugar on that side, pressing it in so it sticks to the strip. Place the strips in the pan, on the rack, leaving 1/4" minimum between the strips.

Place the pan in the oven and set the temperature to 425 degrees. Set the timer for 20 minutes and walk away. After 20 minutes, check the bacon. At this point, it's up to you to decide how done you want it. If you want it crispy, you may need to let it go another 3-5 minutes. But also keep an eye on the sugar as it can start to burn. The point is to caramalize the sugar and get the bacon cooked.

Once it's done, pull it out of the oven and let it cool for a few minutes. After it's cooled a bit, transfer the strips onto a sheet of wax or parchment paper to cool completely (DON'T use paper towels, or you'll get a mouth full of paper with your bacon). They will probably stick to the rack, so be patient. Once they've cooled completely, you'll have some sweet candied strips of bacon that are about the best thing you've ever tasted. I dare say it could make ISIS change their minds ;)

Just FYI, if you are using thin strips of bacon, check it at about 15 minutes - it will take less time to cook.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
    Stomper, oknow, Chee-to and 2 others like this.