JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Mmmm Clam dip... Does she do it in a big bread bowl?

That sounds perfect for this weather right now...
I remember her making back in the late 1950's, so, no fancy bread bowls.
I make it but my aunt and little brother said I made it too rich. They are gone now, so is most my family.
I go to Cash & Carry and buy chopped sea clams, 3 lbs of cream cheese, 3 pints of sour cream, drain the clams in a strainer over a bowl in the fridge overnight. heat the juice in a sauce pan over medium heat, thicken with potato starch to the consistency of light sour cream. Potato starch will not set up like corn starch. whip cream cheese, sour cream, and clam juice together. Season with a little white pepper, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco sauce, then fold in the clams. By the way I use 2 large cans of clams, one minced one chopped.
I usually do this only one time a year, holiday season, then I'm forced to eat it all by myself. ;)

Christmas Eve (my favorite)!
Oyster Stew /w baby Yaquinas and baby potatoes
Crab Dip /w crackers
Tiny fancy breads /w Roast Beef, Ham and Turkey sandwiches, Cheeses and Condiments
Relish Tray
Fruit Tray
Pumpkin Pie /w Chantilly Cream

Switched out the little sandwiches for a Bacon, Mushroom and Spinach Quiche and a Ham and Broccoli Quiche. Lots of Swiss, Sharp Cheddar and Mexican 4 Cheese blend! Quiche are ready. So is Crab dip and fruit and veg trays. Oyster Stew is ready to go! Merry Christmas you all!:)

Tomorrow off to our sons! His mom and I made sure he is an excellent cook, and he is a master of standing rib roasts on his Trager! Yummm!
Also:
Escalloped potatoes, au grautin.
Home made rolls
Shrimp salad
Fresh green bean casserole
Olive and pickle tray
PB and cream cheese stuffed celery
Deviled eggs
My homemade horseradish sauce
Christmas cookies
I'm no doubt forgetting things. Perhaps stuffing myself full of holiday food will help my memory!;)

Who the fek cares.. as long as there's a BB gun under the tree!
red-ryder-ar15-santa-demotivational-posters-1354114342.jpg

:D

red-ryder-ar15-santa-demotivational-posters-1354114342.jpg

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL !:s0162: You folks have some of my favorites. Pickled Herring, Head Cheese on Rye and CLAM DIP ! Thanks for the recipe Scrammer,:s0155: I am going to make some of that Dip, sounds good.
One of the other things I miss is my great-aunt Eva's Tom & Jerry batter drinks. As a kid I was allowed to have a weak drink at the holidays. I don't drink now but it is something I miss. My aunt made her batter mix from scratch. Umm :). We would also have Sula Kalaa "salt cured salmon", this was cured with coarse salt & sugar, pure water for 3-4 days. We would eat it like lox.

Oh no, you would mention Tom and Jerrys! Loved those things and, same as Scrammer, I had weak versions as a kid! I haven't even thought about them for years.:D
Something we had to give up on for health reasons was, Hot Buttered Rum! Our recipe started with a quart of top quality vanilla ice cream and a stick of butter! Turn you into a butterball in short order!

Oh no, you would mention Tom and Jerrys! Loved those things and, same as Scrammer, I had weak versions as a kid! I haven't even thought about them for years.:D
Something we had to give up on for health reasons was, Hot Buttered Rum! Our recipe started with a quart of top quality vanilla ice cream and a stick of butter! Turn you into a butterball in short order!

I've got that recipe Sarge!

Hot Buttered Rum Batter.

1lb unsalted Butter
1lb Brown sugar
1lb white sugar cubes
1qt Vanilla ice cream

Melt first three ingredients in a sauce pan
over low heat stirring frequently. This takes
awhile to get the cubes fully dissolved.
Stir in vanilla ice cream.
---------------------------------------------------
1-2 table spoons batter, or to taste to cup of hot water, add
booze of choice/or not. Grated fresh nutmeg!

I forgot about the bacon cheddar scones I make each year for Christmas morning. Made from scratch with bacon, cheddar cheese and green onions, they disappear quickly Christmas morning. If, by some miracle, any survive, I'll make them into biscuits (scones) and gravy the next day, using fresh made bacon gravy and served with eggs. This year's batch of scones got gobbled up, so no leftovers. I may have to consider making a second batch, just so I can make the biscuits and gravy.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top