JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If it really was chasing after the chickens, I would have shot it too.

Same here. If I had the opportunity to shoo it away first I would have, it resists...same results...dead dog. If I had the opportunity to warn the neighbor of of pending events (that is if I knew whose dog it was in the first place) I would have, but at the end of the day it is the dog owner's responsibility to control his/her animal either via fences, leases or direct verbal control.

ETA:
BTW my dog would love to chase chickens, kind of natural for a birddog IMO, and would if I didn't call her off, she'd chase ducks too if I didn't call her off, she loves to chase jack rabbits until I call her off. See any patterns? My dog listens and ins't allowed to run about the neighborhood or country-side unsupervised. Another simple concept.

Last Edited:
Another irresponsible dog owner who expects everyone else to care for their animal. My guy on the left in my avatar LOVES to chase fowl. Know where he does it? My yard. When young and more active I saw him pull a pigeon down in mid flight one day. One was a little too slow to get airborn when he went after it. Only other time is at one local ball field. Canada geese would now and then show up and as long as no one was there I would let him go to chase them off. If this dog was that important they should have had a fenced area for it to play in. I VERY much doubt this was the dogs first time out in the neighborhood running free.When dogs like this get hit by a car the owners start this same crap, that's its the drivers fault.

The dog was running wild on someone Else's property. That is against the law in Washingrad.
All domestic animals MUST be contained on the owners property, or within 50 feet of owner.

The Whatcom County Sheriff's Office said it cited the neighbor, 49-year-old Odin Maxwell, for recklessly discharging a firearm.

The sheriff's office reported that Maxwell said the dog had been chasing his chickens

I have shot dogs for attacking baby lama's. All legal. Used a flintlock too.

Its the reckless charge that has me. If the houses are that close, it does not sound to rural to me.

Once when I lived in Alsea I went to talk with neighbor lady about her dog. Told her her unconfined dog was coming over and eating the eggs out of my geeses nests, disrupting the nests so that the geese were unable to finish a clutch and start setting. As things were going, I would be supporting and tending nine big geese for nothing, because of neighbors unconfined dog. Neighbor said it must be some other dog I had seen. She didn't always know where her dog was, since they had a large property with woods. But she had never seen her dog off her property. I said the dog did mostly stay on her property when she was home, but ranged far and wide during day when she was at work. I was forthright, not aggressive or threatening.

As we were standing in neighbors front yard discussing things, neighbors dog appeared from direction of their own woods carrying a huge goose egg in his mouth. Neighbor was very chagrinned and apologetic. I was amazed dog managed to steal such a huge egg and carry it home, unbroken, to save for later. Neighbor offered to pay for lost eggs, but I waved that off. Just asked her to keep dog tied during next two weeks while geese were laying their clutches. (Once geese began setting they and the gander would guard the nests.) Out in Alsea, I could have legally shot that dog when it was on my property and after my livestock. And many would have done exactly that. But killing a family's pet wouldn't be my first approach to solving such a problem. Not when I recognized the dog and knew who it belonged to.

The dog was running wild on someone Else's property. That is against the law in Washingrad.
All domestic animals MUST be contained on the owners property, or within 50 feet of owner.

I have shot dogs for attacking baby lama's. All legal. Used a flintlock too.

Its the reckless charge that has me. If the houses are that close, it does not sound to rural to me.

From the one article I read the reckless charge was because he fired at the dog that was in front of a road. In other words his shot would have been going across a street or road. Now if that is true that is poor gun safety. Of course if could be that whoever responded just wanted to cite him with something just to show they tried. He will of course get his day in court to dispute it if he did not fire at the dog while endangering others.

It's sad that their dog died. Personally, I really love dogs and I don't think I'd shoot one over it harassing my chickens. Who knows what the history between the neighbors was that led up to this, though.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews