JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The difference in Rural -vs- Suburban life.

The shooter said the dog was harassing his chickens.
There is no comment in the article from the owner denying the claim.

In suburbia, you can't shoot the dog. But then again, he was charged - discharging firearm.

"...Everybody who knows us knows how important Jax was to us."
Michael Brown was important to his Mom too, but that has 0 bearing on the issue at hand.

If this wasn't a so-called "comfort dog" would this even be a story?

The dog was on the shooter's property and was, according to him, a menace to his animals. Tough to prove, but pretty tough to disprove too, and who's burden is it...? I don't blame the shooter an iota for not making comments to the press. Dude's a lawyer, he knows better.

There's less than lethal ways to deal with a wandering canine who might be out of hand and poorly trained (which is what I think Jax was)... not the dog's fault, it's the owner's.

Yes, all of that is speculation, and there's more where that came from... about the owners, the triggerman lawyer, and about the motivation for making this a story. But I'll leave it at that.

"Comfort dog?" kind of like the "comfort women" that the Japanese constantly raped in WW2?
what's a comfort dog?

I'd be willing to bet it's like a safe space for people who cannot handle reality.

Like some have mentioned, if it was that much of a comfort to them why did they let him run around without keeping a close eye on it?

I do I know that there are vets that have PTSD and have animals that help them cope with everyday life and I enjoy hearing these success stories.

I do I know that there are vets that have PTSD and have animals that help them cope with everyday life and I enjoy hearing these success stories.

Im just being sarcastic as usual. I write letters for companion pets for patients with mental health issues and they are definitely helpful.

But the reporter writing this article put in "comfort" just to try and make the story more sensational. I'm surprised that they didnt include that the dog once donated a kidney and could say "I wuv u" on command.

sounds like if the dog was so important to them they shoulda kept a better eye on it.

Exactly. Anyone I've seen with service/comfort animals always have them close at hand, not out wandering the neighborhood. Makes me really wonder about the true nature of this 'comfort dog'. Sounds more like just 'dog', to me. Real service animals are very expensive, can be upwards of $10-$20K. No one lets and animal like that wander.

I'd be willing to bet it's like a safe space for people who cannot handle reality.

Like some have mentioned, if it was that much of a comfort to them why did they let him run around without keeping a close eye on it?

Completely besides the point, keep your damn dog away from the livestock or expect them to get shot, period. That was the reality I grew up with. It's not a difficult concept.

"Comfort dog?" kind of like the "comfort women" that the Japanese constantly raped in WW2?
what's a comfort dog?
My wife worked at Providence Portland and people would bring their "comfort" dogs into the hospital on sugery day. Those
comfort dogs ranged from pitbulls, filthy bubblegum dogs and on rare occasions a legit service dog. They
expect the dog to be watched by admitting and or nursing staff :rolleyes:

The more I think about this, the more it bugs me...

An egg-sucking cur isn't an asset, it's a liability. If said cur is allowed to wander onto a neighbor's ranch and menace that rancher's livestock (if dude's got laying hens then "signs of damage" to those hens is a moot point... scared hens won't lay eggs) then that rancher has a right to protect his property and livelihood... the fact that this is most likely a hobby-farm isn't germane to that issue.

The slant of the story is obvious, and even so it can't present a solid argument as to why the shooter is wrong beyond some emotional "comfort dog" rhetoric which rings hollow and reads more like propaganda than solid news. I have no doubt that this wasn't the first time Jax came onto the property where he was killed. I have little doubt that the shooter warned the dog's owner that Jax's behavior would not be tolerated. I also have little doubt that Jax was well-fed and loved at home, he was "playing" the chickens, not trying to harm or kill them They were toys, not prey. Also not germane or relevant to the situation.

Very sad for the owners, probably sad for the shooter, I doubt he's cracking a fart and spinning a cartwheel over shooting his neighbor's dog... he probably has dogs of his own (don't know, story didnt say. They left that out).

As the story lies, I blame Jax's owners.

My wife worked at Providence Portland and people would bring their "comfort" dogs into the hospital on sugery day. Those
comfort dogs ranged from pitbulls, filthy bubblegum dogs and on rare occasions a legit service dog. They

It pisses me off when see people with their obviously not service dog in the grocery stores sometime in carts.

You should post warning signs declaring your livestock are protected under Federal law.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR8Sk19adzeuS_WVu7R4gr6N13ThH-O06RUUDwnivHqAB3rgL0Y.jpg

For a while I stopped doing companion pet letters after a patient got a pitbull that proceeded to tear up the apartment and the landlord tried to get me to pay for damages.

Trained dogs, even for emotional support, run $800-1000 for the training plus the licensing fee. People think that you just get a letter you can bring any old pet anywhere. If I had the power to write a letter and make laws change, I would not be writing letters for dogs. I'd be firing some politicians

I would shoot it if it is harming me or mine as well. Had to call my neighbor and tell him this after his dog chased my wife in the house growling and barking. Haven't seen the dog since.

What does their being LV shooting survivors have to do with anything.. or for that matter who the heck cares if their dog was shot for whatever reason?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top