JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The delayed response time doesn't surprise me at all. In-laws lived in Florence and told us about the response times.

+1. I grew up just south of the Dunes City and travel out there at times for outdoor recreation. Now we live in a county further south, and 90 minutes wouldn't be even remotely surprising for a response time. It is lamentable that with all the extant bullplop government programs, basic public services like police, fire, and infrastructure don't happen in certain areas.

Understand I was NOT there but I find it interesting how one person 'terrorized' a family of 14 - I would think out of 14 one or more could have gotten away and sought help quicker - I mean for one person (and shot in the leg) 14 people are a lot to keep track of.

Just a reminder that the US Supreme Court has ruled that it is not the duty of law enforcement to protect you and a person can not sue the government, for failure to protect life or property. Only in the cases of witness protection programs or while a person is in custody, that a government agency can be held liable.
Because of the constitutional right of self protection, means that you are on your own. Not having the means of self protection is just ignoring this fact or they just don't care or they like someone else to do their fighting. In most cases of using deadly force you must prove fear of serious imminent harm.
An 87 year old lady kills a adult unarmed male intruder threatening harm in her home, would likely be ruled justifiable homicide by a grand jury. An adult male body builder shoots an unarmed female intruder in the same circumstances would likely spend 20 years in prison. In any case, it still leaves you as a civilian liable in civil court. So if you value your house and all the property you own, you better buy good insurance! Just use common sense and have all your defecation consolidated.

Well, Sgt. Nambu gets my vote for best advice by suggesting milk and cookies for the responding LEOs in post #11 and rendering first aid to a nutralized combatant in post #34. The milk and cookies speak for themselves, and I've heard it said that those trained to inflict trauma should also be trained to treat it; I agree, and that's the second best reason to always have a package of Oreos in the pantry.

However, the most questionable advice came just ahead of my post from langsethnw who says "Just use common sense and have all your DEFECATION consolidated." I've been constipated before, but "consolidated defecation" is a term I'm unfamiliar with...

Did anyone catch the fact that 2 of the county sheriffs were in Lowell Oregon which is 20 miles east of Eugene and had to travel well over 100 miles to get to Dunes City?

"Two deputies and a Sergeant responded (2 from a call in Lowell),"

Didn't some court decide the coppers DON'T have any obligation to respond??????

Sheldon
You are correct, and it was not just any court, it was the US Supreme Court: Justices Rule Police Do Not Have a Constitutional Duty to Protect Someone

Pretty heinous facts too:
For hours on the night of June 22, 1999, Jessica Gonzales tried to get the Castle Rock police to find and arrest her estranged husband, Simon Gonzales, who was under a court order to stay 100 yards away from the house. He had taken the children, ages 7, 9 and 10, as they played outside, and he later called his wife to tell her that he had the girls at an amusement park in Denver.

Ms. Gonzales conveyed the information to the police, but they failed to act before Mr. Gonzales arrived at the police station hours later, firing a gun, with the bodies of the girls in the back of his truck. The police killed him at the scene.​

The thing that scares me with this is what could have happened...a crazed lunatic and a family of 14 ...how many kids ...I am glad someone was armed....90 mins???? I live in rural Lane county and I know I am on my own.... my neighbor and I keep an watch over things ....write down lic plate numbers of strange vehicles and when bike riders slow down and show to much interest in our places we speak to them to let them know they have been noticed in a friendly way...I want to hear the whole story on this dunes city thing ....

Did anyone catch the fact that 2 of the county sheriffs were in Lowell Oregon which is 20 miles east of Eugene and had to travel well over 100 miles to get to Dunes City?

"Two deputies and a Sergeant responded (2 from a call in Lowell),"
That's true, the territory that they cover is from the coast to east of I-5.

Concerning home invasion, I believe you have to take responsibility to protect your self and family. Law enforcement such as police and the sheriff are what amounts to the clean up crew, this is not meant to demean them but how many times are they able to intercede in a home invasion?

I have setup a layered security perimeter. It starts with a drive way gate that has an alarm that sounds inside the house when it is opened, next are 2 dogs and next is a steel security door made in such a way so you can open it from inside but not from outside without a key. In other words a bad guy can't break a glass panel and reach in and open the door, nor can he easily pull it off the door frame.

I have security cams that cover all perimeters and they have excellent night vision via inferred illumination. I have large powerful exterior lights that detect any movement and come on in front and in back of the house.

Weapons are accessible, Mossberg 500 pump shotguns upstairs and down along with pistols too, all hidden from view if you walk around the house.

I don't worry much, I don't feel like I live in a prison, but when I relax and let my guard down I know I can probably rely on finding out some one is out there before they can get inside, this way if it comes down to it, I can be ready to take appropriate action before the invader breaches my security and gets inside.

I learned this the hard way, had a gang banger come to my door and attempted uninvited entry when I lived in Stockton ca back in the 1980's.

Thankfully he did not make it through my security screen door, what he could not see was the SW 629 .44 mag in my right hand just behind the entry door as I came to the front door and began to argue with him as he yanked and banged on my security door.

His intentions were pretty clear if he could have got in, I could see the outline of a large pipe he was holding in his baggy pants and he had a bad attitude that got worse the more he talked and figured out he was not getting passed my security door. He finally left after 5 minutes of arguing and when I yelled for my wife to call the cops.

After reading this story I think I might ad a few pairs of good quality handcuffs to the arsenal. You know, if the perp is still alive, he will need to be restrained while we wait to see if the ambo will get there while he is still kicking. Kill shots while a perp is lying on the ground are not going to go over too well... never know how long some moron is going to take to expire after he takes a buckshot blast or a full mag. Being ready to cuff his hands and feet together might be a good idea... umm, yes I guess they would also be good if some how the perp was able to surrender before he was shot also....

~

Last Edited:
Oohkay in 3 pages I have not seen it broughtbup soo.... wtf happened to cooperative service agreements / mutual aid agreements with neighboring jurisdictions? If Florence PD had an officer on duty he very well could and should have been dispatched. Home invasion is a whole different ball of wax than property crime. Hell maybe Coos County could have provided faster response - did LCSO dispatch even reach out to these agencies? Reedsport, Coos Bay, Florence and possibly OSP are all way closer than Lowell when doing a code 3 run. WTF. You know if a cop had been shot every cop on the south coast would be headed there at warp speed to help. I would really like to see LCSO explain why they could not/would not/did not call for mutual aid on a shots fired call. Stupid dispatcher? No one working night shift anywhere on the coast? OSP did not have even a single trooper? Lots of questions no good answers.

Yes ultimately our safety and security is our own responsibility - but when you pat taxes for "protective services" you expect them to be there. Maybe LCSO needs to seek a bond or federal grant to hire more full time deputies or make a recruitment push for reserves to supplement full timers. Hell I live in Beaverton and would volunteer to do at least a couple night shifts a month if it meant folks had better response times.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top