JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My position has always been if someone crosses my threshold uninvited while I'm home, that someone will indeed become a statistic... Of a good guy with a gun taking out the trash...

By the way, there's no remorse when dealing with dirt bags...

Like most others write, glad that this worked out & will mimic that each and every scenario is it's own entity. Can't be replicated, as what we'd do may or may not be what someone else might do.

@Lance Jacobs , thanks for the reminder. And since you started the thread, what is it that you & yours would do?

I thought that it was an interesting self-defense situation to share with the forum, that did indeed illustrate how one needs to consider different factors in how best to respond.

I live in a city with a well funded police department that is super fast in responding. So I would never, ever face this kind of scenario myself. But I know that for anyone living in rural Oregon, this is a matter of real concern, due to the financial stress that so many Oregon county governments are now under.

... outstanding men.

Yeah, WEIRD......Just remember people, the police and/or FD have NO obligation to intervene per US code/constitution/whatever you wanna call it. Ultimately your on your own until the US justice system deems it necessary.....THATS the truth....

I will have to give kudos to the Siuslaw Fire District out of Florence, all the times they were called out in regards to a medical problem at the in-laws they responded ASAP.

I'll have to agree with BDAs position - I have ZERO REGARD for criminals, dope addicts etc or anyone who would bring about harm to a family such as a home invasion - which I consider to be one of the worst premeditated (or impulsive crime - I don't know which is the statistical reason) criminal acts of all. I really don't think I would suffer much remorse either if I had to kill someone in this circumstance - especially looking at the pics of those who who commit these crimes - some of them are downright scary looking and would be better off dead.

Well, but what if the person that breaks into your home is unarmed, and just acting crazy or saying threatening things to you? They may simply be high on drugs, and thus may no longer be responsible for their actions.

Does one shoot such an out of control person? In this specific situation, one of the residents shot the man in the leg. Was that maybe done deliberately? Are there situations where it might perhaps be better to just shoot to disable a person, instead of killing them? There is a definite possibility that could have been done in this case. We don't know if the person that shot this intruder has received any firearms self-defense training.

Not long ago Scappoose didn't have a night officer on duty but on call. The Sheriff out here said your best defense is a shotgun. They can't always be there because of budgets or staffing. Some people have a hard time understanding this. You have to prepare to defend yourself and family.

Well, but what if the person that breaks into your home is unarmed, and just acting crazy or saying threatening things to you? They may simply be high on drugs, and thus may no longer be responsible for their actions.

Does one shoot such an out of control person? In this specific situation, one of the residents shot the man in the leg. Was that maybe done deliberately? Are there situations where it might perhaps be better to just shoot to disable a person, instead of killing them? There is a definite possibility that could have been done in this case. We don't know if the person that shot this intruder has received any firearms self-defense training.

Sorry being high is not an excuse... Enough of protecting the criminal...
What about the victim, whose domicile is/was violated, where's their rights???

Again, someone crosses my threshold uninvited, I consider them a combatant and will deal with them accordingly...

They may simply be high on drugs, and thus may no longer be responsible for their actions.
So their CHOICE to use drugs relieves them of responsibility for their actions? I believe the the choice to be high on mind-altering substances is commensurate with ones actions to be 'responsible'

Last Edited:

Under the sudden stress of someone breaking into your home, you cannot assume they are unarmed and even if they are, THEY are still a dangerous weapon themselves. The use of deadly force is justified until the threat is stopped. If it results in (a) wounded or dead perpetrator(s) it is always the correct action if that's what it took to end the threat.

Regardless of any drugs or alchohol that may be affecting their mind and their actions, they are ALWAYS responsible and held accountable for their own behavior. Being high on foreign substances and perpetrating such an action isn't being "simply high".

One more point on this subject, that I occasionally add, is that when the responders do get there they will find me doing my level best to save the rotten betards life! Looks good on the report and IMO it's the right thing to do!

Im sorry.....i let my emotions get the better of me......when i think about said situation i tend to get VERY heated.....i apologize......

This just serves to prove that the person that has the number 1 responsibility for your personal safety, is YOU. We are told that the police will protect us, that government is our mommy/daddy and will keep us safe. That is a lie, and a big, dangerous, lie at that, causing people to become dependent upon someone else, someone that doesn't care, also leading to them taking a lazy attitude toward their own safety. Even living in places where response times may be measured in just a couple of minutes, it may be too late. How often do you hear of police arriving to a crime scene in time to actually prevent a crime? Simply watching or reading the news shows that police usually arrive after the deed is done - and what condolence is there in being beaten, raped or murdered if the government can only play clean up after the fact??

I am responsible for a lot of things in my life - my home, my family, my bills, my health, and many other things. Why should I expect to turn over my personal safety to someone else? Because they told me to? Screw that. Screw that big time.

Now, in the situation that happened here - so long as that person presents an active threat to me and/or my family, they are in a position to be dealt with by me. Clearly the one shot didn't stop him, perhaps another shot would have been in order. That said, I may be content to shelter in place, if I'm comfortable that he can't get in - but how do I know he can or can't get in? Maybe he has the tools to break in and harm us?? As long as the threat is active and imminent, I am well within my rights to respond with force, up to and including, deadly force. Of course I'd call the police, and I would make sure they know that I have a gun and I will use it - because that will likely get a much quicker response out of them.

Honestly, without being there, I can't say exactly what I would do. But whatever it is, I will protect myself and my family, first. The police can sort out later the why of what this guy was doing - my job is to survive. If the police can't get there sooner, then that may be bad news for the bad guy, not necessarily for me.

Last Edited:
Are there situations where it might perhaps be better to just shoot to disable a person, instead of killing them? There is a definite possibility that could have been done in this case. We don't know if the person that shot this intruder has received any firearms self-defense training.

Shooting someone can be difficult at best ... no need to place a extra challenge on marksmanship with shooting to wound or disable.
The fella you are shooting at rarely gives you the full body shot like the classic "bad guy " target ...
He might using concealment or cover , moving fast , the light might be poor , you , yourself are not at your best, etc .... Lots here are at play to wreck your shooting.

Center mass is good , but not always achievable .... you must at times hit whatever the largest part of the body you can see.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads