JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey everyone. The wife and I moved to Oregon back in May and I am really looking forward to hunting up here. I have read through most all of the stickies on this forum looking for knowledge on hunting in general and hunting western Oregon specifically. I am wondering if anyone could point me to a hunters group or club that I could meet up with so I can glean all the info I can from more experienced hunters.

Hey everyone. The wife and I moved to Oregon back in May and I am really looking forward to hunting up here. I have read through most all of the stickies on this forum looking for knowledge on hunting in general and hunting western Oregon specifically. I am wondering if anyone could point me to a hunters group or club that I could meet up with so I can glean all the info I can from more experienced hunters.

It took me about 2-3 years to get the ice broken with most hunters. It kind of like showing your favorite fishing spot or whatnot.

I can tell you the more you learn and know the more the experienced hunters are willing to help you.

Also, don't let learning distract you from doing. The west side can and will kill you if you are not properly trained how to survive wet cold climates for days at a time should you get lost or hurt. Take some survival classes and then practice them (including first aid depending on your background).

Finding a hunting partner worth a penny that lines up with your morals and schedule is like finding gold in a dung pile, so if you find one your very lucky and should try to hang on to that relationship.

Only hunted 3 years but this one doesn't really count yet with the knee surgery.

It took me about 2-3 years to get the ice broken with most hunters. It kind of like showing your favorite fishing spot or whatnot.

I can tell you the more you learn and know the more the experienced hunters are willing to help you.

Also, don't let learning distract you from doing. The west side can and will kill you if you are not properly trained how to survive wet cold climates for days at a time should you get lost or hurt. Take some survival classes and then practice them (including first aid depending on your background).

Finding a hunting partner worth a penny that lines up with your morals and schedule is like finding gold in a dung pile, so if you find one your very lucky and should try to hang on to that relationship.

Only hunted 3 years but this one doesn't really count yet with the knee surgery.
Well I'm looking forward to learning. And I have started hiking at least once a week with my wife. No over nighters yet. But wet weather hiking

For Elk, I would look into what a reputable guide charges. You can learn a lot in a short time with someone that's tries to educate their customers and not just drive them around, especially if you luck out and get a desirable tag.

Sorry I don't know any.
I'm lucky, if I wanted a deer or elk, I could just hunt on a friends farm and take my pick from what's standing under his fruit trees.
I don't eat red meat anymore, so I take a neighbors kid out there and let him fill his tag.

Sorry I don't know any.
I'm lucky, if I wanted a deer or elk, I could just hunt on a friends farm and take my pick from what's standing under his fruit trees.
I don't eat red meat anymore, so I take a neighbors kid out there and let him fill his tag.
Sounds like the kind of friend I need to find lol

Every year I go up to his place and help him clean out a 2,000 foot long water ditch that fills his trout pond.
It was hand dug over 110 years ago and the elk just trample the crap out of it.
It's hard work, but he lets me shoot on his acreage any time I want.
So that alone is worth the effort, as finding any place to shoot near Portland is getting harder and harder.

I highly recommend the state's hunter education online safety course.
I recommend taking the hunter safety course in person, they will show you the in's and outs of gun safety. Once you get that down spend time in the woods and learn the habits and habitat of the animals you wish to pursue. There are lots of willing people that will help out newbies buy don't expect it from anyone. Albany gun club is a good place for Hunter safety and a good gun range.
Best of luck

Every year I go up to his place and help him clean out a 2,000 foot long water ditch that fills his trout pond.
It was hand dug over 110 years ago and the elk just trample the crap out of it.
It's hard work, but he lets me shoot on his acreage any time I want.
So that alone is worth the effort, as finding any place to shoot near Portland is getting harder and harder.

This sounds like the best kind of relationship. Something like this is what I hope to cultivate here in the mid-willamette.

I recommend taking the hunter safety course in person, they will show you the in's and outs of gun safety. Once you get that down spend time in the woods and learn the habits and habitat of the animals you wish to pursue. There are lots of willing people that will help out newbies buy don't expect it from anyone. Albany gun club is a good place for Hunter safety and a good gun range.
Best of luck

Thank you for the tip. I have already taken my hunter safety course and I'm a regular shooter. I'm just new to hunting and this state. Which is doubly tough as I have very few connections here.

Thank you for the tip. I have already taken my hunter safety course and I'm a regular shooter. I'm just new to hunting and this state. Which is doubly tough as I have very few connections here.
You can spend the money and get the weyerhauser permit, join a duck, pheasant or goose club. I spend most of my winters Coyote/Cougar hunting and I'm always down to have people from here to join the trip. Everybody on here is super friendly and more than willing to help out other hunters

Gary Lewis has written quite a bit on hunting Oregon, he grew up on the wet side but now lives in Bend. I worked with him 30 years ago, we fished a lot back then but he hadn't started hunting yet. In fact, I traded him a BBR 30-06 for an old Cardinal 4 he had, that was his 1st rifle. He writes for a few different rags these days. Google him, he's friendly and puts hunts together.

There are a couple local hunting magazines that will tell a lot of stories but get you pointed in the right direction. They usually have outfitters listed in the back, Sportsman's Warehouse has it's own newspaper you can pick up at the door, local outfitters are listed there. Depending on what side of the sate you want to hunt will determine your choice of outfitters, there are far fewer on the west side than on the other side of the Cascades.

Being grandfathered in is always the best way of course. I've hunted Oregon for over 40 years (native) and am always a little gunshy about someone new trying to get in on a hunt, especially a non native. I've done it a few times and just choose to be real choosy anymore. As was stated above, compatibility is pretty big when hanging out all day together or for multiple days. It puts pressure on the guy who 'knows' which I can do without. People assume since you hunt and kill things that just because they go along they will too. Usually it works out that no one does. In my case I like to 'hunt' not just go hunting. I get out out of the truck and go, with someone who doesn't know the area you have to hold their hand or worry they'll get lost. Or you have to partner up, that can be a challenge. Everyone hunts differently but guys who hunt a lot together don't need to communicate all that much about each others intentions. That takes a while to gel, not just walking the woods together to but know how each other may react to a given situation. Elk crews are even more difficult to break into, the hunting is more intense and there's not a lot of time or patience to break in a newbie given the short seasons, every day matters.

My advice would be to just be a good guy and gravitate toward the people who you would like to learn more from. Listen, pay attention, be respectful, don't be pushy or it probably won't happen and if it does it may just be the one time. Not saying hunters are bubblegum but if your serious about hunting and being a hunter you'll be approaching people who also take it seriously, sometime extremely. The best hunters are quiet, usually approachable but are tight lipped if you try to get too into their hunting space. A good hunter would also love to bring up someone who is really interested in the sport and will be willing to help but you got to be patient. There are some great hunters who I wouldn't want to spend time in camp with, like was mentioned above you have to have the same moral background.

Like anything, if you really want to do it you'll do it. If you're passionate about it chances are you'll be really good at it. It all depends on you.

You can spend the money and get the weyerhauser permit, join a duck, pheasant or goose club. I spend most of my winters Coyote/Cougar hunting and I'm always down to have people from here to join the trip. Everybody on here is super friendly and more than willing to help out other hunters
What's the advantage of the Weyerhauser permit?

Lots of land you can access year round. I don't do it because I disagree with paying to access timber land, but lots of people have the permit. Everybody has different options and what works best for them

You should go to hunters safety.
Honeslty watch youtube videos! They work great for learning.
I would also check out if you have a local office for fish and game and go talk to them.
Look up the oregon fish and game website. If it's like the washington site they have previous years harvest numbers.

And just get out in the woods, year round. Hike and explore before you hunt.
Know the land, and more than anything be prepared.
It will be wet, and cold.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads