JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You should go to hunters safety.
Honeslty watch youtube videos! They work great for learning.
I would also check out if you have a local office for fish and game and go talk to them.
Look up the oregon fish and game website. If it's like the washington site they have previous years harvest numbers.

And just get out in the woods, year round. Hike and explore before you hunt.
Know the land, and more than anything be prepared.
It will be wet, and cold.

I plan on hiking as often as i can especially in the cold and wet. And gonna set my trail cam hopefully in a good spot.
As for the hunter safety I have already taken a hunters safety course and I'm am a regular shooter.

Gary Lewis has written quite a bit on hunting Oregon, he grew up on the wet side but now lives in Bend. I worked with him 30 years ago, we fished a lot back then but he hadn't started hunting yet. In fact, I traded him a BBR 30-06 for an old Cardinal 4 he had, that was his 1st rifle. He writes for a few different rags these days. Google him, he's friendly and puts hunts together.

Been reading from Gary Lewis' website all morning. Thank you for the lead

Personally, I've always found the guys and gals at Fish and Game to always being willing to help. At least pointing you in the right direction to accessible hunting. Try to find the guy for the area you want to hunt.

Sorry I don't know any.
I'm lucky, if I wanted a deer or elk, I could just hunt on a friends farm and take my pick from what's standing under his fruit trees.
I don't eat red meat anymore, so I take a neighbors kid out there and let him fill his tag.
That is just as bad as a "canned hunt" and basically just target shooting. Hunting is more to me than just blasting an animal. Its about the tracking and getting out in the forest or wild lands. Unless you need food because you can't afford to buy meat, it is very unsportsmanlike. My neighbor sits in a chair until the deer bed down and then sneaks over and shoots them under his apple tree. It really makes me mad. Just my two cents worth.

Hey everyone. The wife and I moved to Oregon back in May and I am really looking forward to hunting up here. I have read through most all of the stickies on this forum looking for knowledge on hunting in general and hunting western Oregon specifically. I am wondering if anyone could point me to a hunters group or club that I could meet up with so I can glean all the info I can from more experienced hunters.
Check out Oregon Hunters Association [OHA]. They have monthly meetings all over the state. There are hunters there who will give advice and help although a lot of it will be vague until they get to know you. If you join and help with projects you become a legit person and it helps.

Check out Oregon Hunters Association [OHA]. They have monthly meetings all over the state. There are hunters there who will give advice and help although a lot of it will be vague until they get to know you. If you join and help with projects you become a legit person and it helps.
Their first meeting is tonight isnt it?

New to the site but a 51 year native of Oregon .. I'm just north of you near EE Wilson wildlife area . are you hunting elk this year . 1st or 2nd season ?

I am not hunting this season. My wife and I moved here at the end of May so I wont be an "in-state hunter" until the end of November. So I am going to wait until next season to do big game.

I am not hunting this season. My wife and I moved here at the end of May so I wont be an "in-state hunter" until the end of November. So I am going to wait until next season to do big game.
Well in that case maybe next season hit me up and I'll help you get pointed the right direction . lots of elk near you . take a hike right out of adair village across from were ODF is and up into the mcdonald forest area . good luck tell then

Well in that case maybe next season hit me up and I'll help you get pointed the right direction . lots of elk near you . take a hike right out of adair village across from were ODF is and up into the mcdonald forest area . good luck tell then

I will do that. On both accounts. Thank you for offering to help.

Their first meeting is tonight isnt it?

Definitely join the Oregon Hunter's Association, and start attending your local chapter's monthly meetings.

Becoming a member of your local gun range is another excellent way to meet other hunters near you.

Besides Gary Lewis, another great writer of books about hunting in Oregon is Scott Haugen. You will find any book written by either one of them to be excellent.

I realized after rereading my post I said ODF, WHEN I meant ODFW, There is a big difference between Oregon Dept of Forestry which has no offices in Adair and Oregon Dept of Fish and Game which has regional offices right in Adair . sorry if it caused any confusion

Definitely join the Oregon Hunter's Association, and start attending your local chapter's monthly meetings.

Becoming a member of your local gun range is another excellent way to meet other hunters near you.

Besides Gary Lewis, another great writer of books about hunting in Oregon is Scott Haugen. You will find any book written by either one of them to be excellent.

Well I missed this months Albany meeting thanks to work.

I realized after rereading my post I said ODF, WHEN I meant ODFW, There is a big difference between Oregon Dept of Forestry which has no offices in Adair and Oregon Dept of Fish and Game which has regional offices right in Adair . sorry if it caused any confusion
It didnt confuse me at all. I just checked out Adair Village and the forest to the west on google maps. Can I legally hunt up in those woods? The ODFW interactive map didnt specify whether it was legal to hunt there or not.

It didnt confuse me at all. I just checked out Adair Village and the forest to the west on google maps. Can I legally hunt up in those woods? The ODFW interactive map didnt specify whether it was legal to hunt there or not.

Last i knew the area to the west was open , there is a major hiking trail entrance right across from the adair store and some of that area may be closed . but if your in the area stop into the odfw office there and they should have plenty of info on whats open to hunting there nearby, its been about 5 years since a friends wife got a real nice 5 pt buck out of that area. pretty large herd of elk in that area as well , sometimes just west or north of the landfill you will see 50 to 120 head in some of the agricultural fields .

Last i knew the area to the west was open , there is a major hiking trail entrance right across from the adair store and some of that area may be closed . but if your in the area stop into the odfw office there and they should have plenty of info on whats open to hunting there nearby, its been about 5 years since a friends wife got a real nice 5 pt buck out of that area. pretty large herd of elk in that area as well , sometimes just west or north of the landfill you will see 50 to 120 head in some of the agricultural fields .
Thank you for the leads. It gives me a nice starting point for scouting before next season.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top