JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yes they do.
On the bottom rifle , this is carved :
"Bill Willyums , His Rifle "
Now there was a mountain man named Bill Williams...this rifle came from the area where he trapped and was killed....it is also from the time period.....
Two things :
One , Bill Williams was literate and knew how to spell his name...
And two , I am not saying that this rifle was in fact his rifle....but there are many things about it , that make one wonder.
I keep promising that I am going to do a write up of this rifle....one day soon....
Andy
Could have been done postmortem by whoever retrieved it after he fell... could be a poser from that time too, but there is a plausible scenario at least where it COULD be the real deal.

There are times for facts and times for faith--everybody needs something to believe. Me, I believe I'm gonna go get another Dr Pepper and try to shake this damnable withdrawal headache... :)

Could have been done postmortem by whoever retrieved it after he fell... could be a poser from that time too, but there is a plausible scenario at least where it COULD be the real deal.

There are times for facts and times for faith--everybody needs something to believe. Me, I believe I'm gonna go get another Dr Pepper and try to shake this damnable withdrawal headache... :)

Just wanted to point out :
As I said in my first post on the rifle...I am not saying that this rifle was in fact his ( Bill Williams ) rifle....I wouldn't want anyone to think I am putting forth a false claim.

What I do know , is that , it is a rifle of time period...
And it is what I believe , to be , one of the neatest rifles in my collection....
Andy

....A bullet accelerates to MV before it leaves the gun so it's pretty much in alignment with POA when it hits the air. The rocket starts slowly and continues to accelerate after it leaves the gun and goes supersonic @ about 3' in front of the muzzle.
that's some pow'ful Koolaid you been drinkin' !!

I was trying to think "Man Portable", like a 20mm Solothurn. :D 30x173, even if only pushing a .17 projo, there is no way on Earth you wanna be standing behind that when it goes off.
Unless you are @Ura-Ki . His bragging rights prolly have the bruises on bruises to validate.

Ahhh...who needs cartridges when you got Powder , Patch and Ball....?
When you need to buy some, almost no one!

Ones I suspect will go by the wayside:
375 Ruger / 338 RCM / 300 RCM / 22 Nosler / 26 & 28 Nosler / not sure about the 6.5 PRC
Not sure which will fade to oblivion first: 6.8 SPC or 6.5 Grendel
Always wanted to find a 6.5 Carcano, but never could.
I don't expect the 6.5 Creedmoor will keep up its momentum.
Surprised the 7 RUM has stayed alive as long as it has, the barrel cooking round that it is.
404 Jeffries : the parent to many excellent cartridges.

Highlight bold added.

Now that the ARMY is out that the 6.8 SPC is the "new" and "improved" "power of a tank" cartridge, for their new weapons system. Might need to re-think.
Is 6.5 Grendel in use with a military somewhere?

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fi225.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fdd270%2Frocketman_photos_2007%2Fthreecartridges.jpg http%3A%2F%2Fabesguncave.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2015%2F10%2F6.5-Grendel-vs-6.8-SPC-Cutaway.jpg ?u=http%3A%2F%2Faccurateshooter.net%2Fpix%2Fcreedcut1603.jpg

AR-wildcat-lin-up-5.56-6.5-pcc-6.5-grendel-6.8-SPC-300-AAC-7.62-x-40-and-30-AR.jpg
AR-15/M16 cartridge line up (left to right): 223 Remington/5.56mm NATO, 6.5 PCC virgin brass, 6.5 PCC fire formed brass, 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC, 300 AAC BLK, 7.62×40 WT and 30AR. Note the relatively short (.145″) neck on the 6.5 PCC.

Last Edited:
My understanding is they are looking to use the 6.8mm caliber but not necessarily the 6.8spc cartridge. I have also read that snipers are going to start utilizing a 6.5mm round so we shall see.

View attachment 527195
AR-15/M16 cartridge line up (left to right): 223 Remington/5.56mm NATO, 6.5 PCC virgin brass, 6.5 PCC fire formed brass, 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC, 300 AAC BLK, 7.62×40 WT and 30AR. Note the relatively short (.145″) neck on the 6.5 PCC.
Not to mention the almost non-existent shoulder of the .300 BO.
How does it chamber with such a little nub of a shoulder?
I foresee "issue threads" starting up sometime in the next few years, due to worn chambers from highly used .300 BO rifles....time will tell, I suppose.

Dean

Not to mention the almost non-existent shoulder of the .300 BO.
How does it chamber with such a little nub of a shoulder?
I foresee "issue threads" starting up sometime in the next few years, due to worn chambers from highly used .300 BO rifles....time will tell, I suppose.

Dean
Headspace the same way that a straight walled (or slightly tapered) cartridge does? :rolleyes: edit. I'm probably wrong about the nub of a shoulder being for the magazine ribs... but you might note that not one of these cartridges have a shoulder "higher" than the original .223/5.56....

Its a non-belted rimless cartridge. It headspaces on the shoulder...just like a rimmed cartridge headspaces on the rim and a belted cartridge headspaces on the belt....I still say, future issues.

Its a non-belted rimless cartridge. It headspaces on the shoulder...just like a rimmed cartridge headspaces on the rim and a belted cartridge headspaces on the belt....I still say, future issues.
Pretty sure the 9mm parabellum, .45acp, 10mm, .40SW, .380acp, are all non-belted, rimless cartridges?

EDIT: What does the .30 Carbine headspace off of? case mouth or extractor? It's also beltless, rimless, unshouldered.

All of the cartridges you listed are straight cased and headspace off the case mouth...but then, you already know that, don't you.
The problem is, you're including the .300 with those.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top