JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Don't like the rules your employer has emplaced on its property? Go work somewhere else.
This. Employers set conditions of employment. An employee doesn't have to agree and has a perfect right to work elsewhere. Some warehouse employers have banned cell phones on the work room floor. Because they facilitate employee theft of employer's time. Warehouse employees have complained; they have a right to go elsewhere to seek an employer that isn't as restrictive.

As to the 2A. The "at will" nature of employment (in all states except Montana) gives an employer the right to ban carrying firearms in the work place. Over the years, courts have ruled in support of at will employment restrictions. There have been many legal battles over "parking lot" employment rules, these have had multiple outcomes in the states. But the doctrine of employers being allowed to ban guns on premises is pretty solid.

I was a federal employee most of my working life. State laws had no jurisdiction there. Honestly, where I worked we didn't have much knowledge of a firearms ban on property until after the Edmond, Oklahome post office shootings. Suddenly, there was great emphasis on firearms possession. There were several employees who were gun people. We would occasionally swap guns in the parking lot during lunch. That came to a stop after Edmond. We were called into the office and given a verbal warning that we weren't to do this again. And we didn't. Many years later, there was an employee in another office who was a gun show trader. One Friday, he loaded up his stuff and kept it in his car at work during his shift for convenience. Somehow, the employer found out and he was terminated. The phrase our employer used was "immediate cause for dismissal." They didn't care about the circumstances. When you work in a system with vestment in a pension, that has an electrifying effect.

For employers, there are civil liability and OSHA workplace safety considerations big time. It's not necessarily that they are anti-gun. They are anti-lawsuit.

This. Employers set conditions of employment. An employee doesn't have to agree and has a perfect right to work elsewhere. Some warehouse employers have banned cell phones on the work room floor. Because they facilitate employee theft of employer's time. Warehouse employees have complained; they have a right to go elsewhere to seek an employer that isn't as restrictive.

As to the 2A. The "at will" nature of employment (in all states except Montana) gives an employer the right to ban carrying firearms in the work place. Over the years, courts have ruled in support of at will employment restrictions. There have been many legal battles over "parking lot" employment rules, these have had multiple outcomes in the states. But the doctrine of employers being allowed to ban guns on premises is pretty solid.

I was a federal employee most of my working life. State laws had no jurisdiction there. Honestly, where I worked we didn't have much knowledge of a firearms ban on property until after the Edmond, Oklahome post office shootings. Suddenly, there was great emphasis on firearms possession. There were several employees who were gun people. We would occasionally swap guns in the parking lot during lunch. That came to a stop after Edmond. We were called into the office and given a verbal warning that we weren't to do this again. And we didn't. Many years later, there was an employee in another office who was a gun show trader. One Friday, he loaded up his stuff and kept it in his car at work during his shift for convenience. Somehow, the employer found out and he was terminated. The phrase our employer used was "immediate cause for dismissal." They didn't care about the circumstances. When you work in a system with vestment in a pension, that has an electrifying effect.

For employers, there are civil liability and OSHA workplace safety considerations big time. It's not necessarily that they are anti-gun. They are anti-lawsuit.
All great points. I'll just add property rights trump all others. There is no 1A at work. There is no 2A, etc.. Yes there is a whole body of employment law (most of which is unnecessary in my view), but as far as setting policies for a lawful purpose, as I said above, my house my rules. Costco stepped in it for banning "Black Lies Matter" face masks worn by some store employees. Their house, their rules. Don't like it? Don't shop there.

I made it as far as him pouring a drink and sighing.

Nope, can't go any farther. No need for booze or theatrics to tell the story. Smells like BS to me.
I'm right there with you. Dramatic little snowflake. Poor me. Blah. Blah. If you got made you weren't doing a very good job of conceal carry. Simple as that. The sigh was all I needed to close that video out. Do what you want. Be smart about it. Own it. Move on.

Carry or not...its your choice.
Just be ready to accept the consequences of your choice and actions.
Whining about it....falling into despondency , saying it ain't fair...etc...won't change what happened.

You always have two choices...the right choice...and all the others.

What is important to consider is that the "right" choice for one person , may be different for another.
Even a similar situation , but at different time or place , can make for a different "right" choice.

As far as getting another job...sure...if you can...that may not be as easy as it sounds.
And for those who say : Yeabut it worked for me...Well that's just great for you...that don't mean that it will happen for someone else.
Andy
It wasn't the carrying that did him in, it was him letting all his buds in the office know about it--loose lips... :s0124:

In public, absolutely. On someone else's private property? Get real. My house, my rules. Don't like my rules? Don't come to my house. Don't like the rules your employer has emplaced on its property? Go work somewhere else.
I've been self-employed since 1990 & I bring my guns wherever I go--the difference is I don't tell everybody around me like this guy did

20210410_110607.jpg

Open carry all day. Me and the whole crew. Step up and get served. Lol

Dude made some mistakes trusting his coworkers but didn't earn what he got. What the anti gun culture has done to America is a disgrace a man cant even have the constitutional means to protect himself where his employment does nothing and security is a joke.... its a real problem in todays society where many politicians let violent offenders go free the anti-gun CEOs vote for. Name one other constitutional right a company wouldnt get tanked for discriminating against. Corporate rights dont trump life and should never trump the constitution and anything less is anti gun.

Dude made some mistakes trusting his coworkers but didn't earn what he got. What the anti gun culture has done to America is a disgrace a man cant even have the constitutional means to protect himself where his employment does nothing and security is a joke.... its a real problem in todays society where many politicians let violent offenders go free the anti-gun CEOs vote for. Name one other constitutional right a company wouldnt get tanked for discriminating against. Corporate rights dont trump life and should never trump the constitution and anything less is anti gun.
The pursuit of happiness?

Imagine for a moment that instead of his company finding out that he was carrying, that some disgruntled employee came in and started shooting up the place. And this guy was able to save himself and numerous coworkers because he was prepared.

If that happened, we'd be watching a completely different video from him. My point is that this thing could have easily gone a different way than it did.

The most precious thing you have in this world is your life. I'm never going to tell someone that it's the wrong decision to ignore a company policy about bringing firearms to work. And particularly when it's a company that won't let you carry, but also isn't doing jack squat to protect its employees.

Do you think that company is going to be there to take care of your family after you were blown away at work because the greedy corporation was too cheap to pay for legit security?

Nope.

You only get one life. There are no second chances or "do overs" on that. If your company won't let you carry, then maybe it's time to find a job that will. Or maybe it's time to ignore the company policy and carry anyway. But if you do decide to carry, for the love of God, keep your damn pie hole shut! This dude got fired because he broke the number one rule of "Fight Club."

And the sad thing is that he learned NOTHING from it. Because here he is, shooting his mouth off all over the internet. A nice video that any current or future HR hiring manager can find, or anyone who he has a beef with can send to his boss. Why on earth would you set yourself up like this? :rolleyes:

If your company won't let you carry, then maybe it's time to find a job that will.
Because you cant in today's workplace, the guy had a damned good point with his video.... there are NO pro gun friends in the work place even the guy with the Glock sticker.

It wasn't the carrying that did him in, it was him letting all his buds in the office know about it--loose lips... :s0124:
He broke the rules and got fired.
If he didn't carry at work...he wouldn't have felt the urge to let his buds know...so he would not have gotten fired.
That someone went all "tattle tale" on him ...Ain't the main issue...if he didn't break the company rule...then there would be nothing to tell....

With that said...
The point of my original post which you quoted ( in part ) , was....
Its your choice...do as you wish...also be willing to accept the consequences of your actions...not whine about them.

Andy

Edit to add :
I do agree that if you go around breaking the rules , law , whatever....its best not let your buds , or anyone else know about it.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads