Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Elgin, Oregon Residents Want Police Force Disbanded After Cop Shoots Neighbor

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by jimwsea, Aug 30, 2011.

1. jimwsea

jimwsea Vancouver, Washington state Active Member

2. Misterbill

Misterbill Yakima County, Washington New Member

Population 1600ish? I'd want to disband the local PD too after this crap.

3. One-Eyed Ross

One-Eyed Ross Winlock, WA Well-Known Member

no kidding

4. TCOV

TCOV OLYMPIC PENINSULA Active Member

This story is just fishy. There are only three people who know what happened and one is dead and one of the others is lying. I am not one to stick up for the police but this wifes story just doesn't hold water. She calls 911 cause her husband is abuseing her and oh yea he has a loaded AR in the room too and the leo ok's him to handle it to unload while standing at the door. Very hard to believe this story as told by the wife. I have been through Elgin a couple times and liked it as a little cowboy town but a lot of these small rural towns have their dark side with meth etc moving in. Anyway if they need their own police dept. or not shouldn't be decided by this one situation that may not be as presented in the media.

5. Father of four

Father of four Portland, Oregon Well-Known Member

"...but if the citizens are immediately that upset, it is probably not a good indication."

Good point.

6. Gunner3456

Gunner3456 Salem Well-Known Member

I have a really hard time believing the wife's story that the officer let the man pick up his AR so he could unload it and put it in his truck. The officer had arrived at a fight.

I don't like cops. I really don't like cops. It even sounds as if this particular one was disliked by the public.

But I don't like being falsely accused of something, either.

7. Father of four

". . . the incident has so angered residents that many are demanding the small police department be disbanded, "

I wonder how many residents want the department disband. If 20 or more, then there is probably alot more to add to this one incident then we know.

8. chariot13

chariot13 Near Eugene/Springfield Well-Known Member

9. jimwsea

I can't really say whether anybody's story was true or not. I'm more interested in a town potentially disbanding their police department.

10. Gunner3456

We've had more than one small town around here disband it's police department, sometimes to save costs. Then they contract with the sheriff's dept. A lot of small towns don't have police depts.

11. jimwsea

Any idea what a small town saves over a year?

12. Gunner3456

No, but it's a lot including the insurance they can drop. A police dept. with support staff, benefits, PERS, training, vehicles and equipment is expensive.

Blitzkrieg and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Father of four

14. coastal steelheader

coastal steelheader Aberdeen Well-Known Member

I remember watching a segment on Evening Magazine about a small town in Oregon that got rid of their police department, and just contracted with the Sheriff Dept. They didn't name the town at the residents request, but according to the report they had few if any problems in the town since getting rid of the PD. I sure hope it works as well for Elgin.

Blitzkrieg and (deleted member) like this.
  15. chariot13

chariot13 Near Eugene/Springfield Well-Known Member

16. Father of four

17. Father of four

I think the United States Citizens should ask..require more from Our paid LEO's. Dismantling when and where needed.

18. ta2er

ta2er Oregon Member

In towns that small, I think patrol cops should be elected. Why not? This is America - vote on it! There's only 2 or 3 of them...let the residents decide who they would trust with their lives.

19. TCOV

TCOV OLYMPIC PENINSULA Active Member

Elgin is kind of on the border population wise of needing their own police dept. or contracting with the county sheriff dept. for protection. There are at least three news stories on this situation and not all residents want to disband the dept. There is crime in the area and business owners are tired of break-ins and these small towns have become a haven for meth dealers and users. The three man dept. they now have can't provide 24/7 coverage without going to overtime. The question would be is it more cost effective to contract with the sheriff dept. The cost of having your own dept. isn't just the daily cost but future cost of public employee pensions and health care promises. This incident should not have anything to do with a discussion about who provides coverage for Elgin.

20. coastal steelheader

coastal steelheader Aberdeen Well-Known Member

The problem with electing officers is that it costs so much to train an officer - over a 100k - that the likelihood you would get rid of a bad officer, and then hire and train another is pretty low. Its one of the big reason that in towns like mine we have so many lateral transfers, and fewer locals getting hired simply because of the cost.