JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
An apparently rogue cop leads to people wanting the town's police force disbanded. I can't wait to see how this turns out. :s0093:

Two articles on the same story

<broken link removed>
<broken link removed>

By the way, I think Elgin was the first place I ever saw a "Donkey Basketball" game...had a great time!

This story is just fishy. There are only three people who know what happened and one is dead and one of the others is lying. I am not one to stick up for the police but this wifes story just doesn't hold water. She calls 911 cause her husband is abuseing her and oh yea he has a loaded AR in the room too and the leo ok's him to handle it to unload while standing at the door. Very hard to believe this story as told by the wife. I have been through Elgin a couple times and liked it as a little cowboy town but a lot of these small rural towns have their dark side with meth etc moving in. Anyway if they need their own police dept. or not shouldn't be decided by this one situation that may not be as presented in the media.

I have a really hard time believing the wife's story that the officer let the man pick up his AR so he could unload it and put it in his truck. The officer had arrived at a fight.

I don't like cops. I really don't like cops. It even sounds as if this particular one was disliked by the public.

But I don't like being falsely accused of something, either.

". . . the incident has so angered residents that many are demanding the small police department be disbanded, "

I wonder how many residents want the department disband. If 20 or more, then there is probably alot more to add to this one incident then we know.

I have a really hard time believing the wife's story that the officer let the man pick up his AR so he could unload it and put it in his truck. The officer had arrived at a fight.

I don't like cops. I really don't like cops. It even sounds as if this particular one was disliked by the public.

But I don't like being falsely accused of something, either.

I can't really say whether anybody's story was true or not. I'm more interested in a town potentially disbanding their police department.

I can't really say whether anybody's story was true or not. I'm more interested in a town potentially disbanding their police department.

We've had more than one small town around here disband it's police department, sometimes to save costs. Then they contract with the sheriff's dept. A lot of small towns don't have police depts.

An apparently rogue cop leads to people wanting the town's police force disbanded. I can't wait to see how this turns out. :s0093: QUOTE]

I agree with these people, i see it being the same as if you had a rogue Government that did what it wanted instead of the people, the people would want it disbanded.

Talk about disbanding something. Watch this video.

» Man Faces Life In Jail For Recording Police Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!

We've had more than one small town around here disband it's police department, sometimes to save costs. Then they contract with the sheriff's dept. A lot of small towns don't have police depts.

I remember watching a segment on Evening Magazine about a small town in Oregon that got rid of their police department, and just contracted with the Sheriff Dept. They didn't name the town at the residents request, but according to the report they had few if any problems in the town since getting rid of the PD. I sure hope it works as well for Elgin.

So if their argument is that you must have the officers consent to record audio of them, then the Police would also need the citizens consent to record audio of the citizen... or are we seeing a complete lack of equality between two American's & instead seeing prejudicial preference.

However there is a burden of intimidation upon the citizen more than the officer in most cases, since it is the citizen that is 99% of the time having to prove they are innocent, not the Officer. Questioning someone's innocence is a form of intimidation especially when they say things like "if you have nothing to hide, let me see". I can see a can of worms that was already open but now its the police that have to dine on them.

In towns that small, I think patrol cops should be elected. Why not? This is America - vote on it! There's only 2 or 3 of them...let the residents decide who they would trust with their lives.

Elgin is kind of on the border population wise of needing their own police dept. or contracting with the county sheriff dept. for protection. There are at least three news stories on this situation and not all residents want to disband the dept. There is crime in the area and business owners are tired of break-ins and these small towns have become a haven for meth dealers and users. The three man dept. they now have can't provide 24/7 coverage without going to overtime. The question would be is it more cost effective to contract with the sheriff dept. The cost of having your own dept. isn't just the daily cost but future cost of public employee pensions and health care promises. This incident should not have anything to do with a discussion about who provides coverage for Elgin.

In towns that small, I think patrol cops should be elected. Why not? This is America - vote on it! There's only 2 or 3 of them...let the residents decide who they would trust with their lives.

The problem with electing officers is that it costs so much to train an officer - over a 100k - that the likelihood you would get rid of a bad officer, and then hire and train another is pretty low. Its one of the big reason that in towns like mine we have so many lateral transfers, and fewer locals getting hired simply because of the cost.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top