JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just noticed a large can of pears had a swelled top. Opened it up and threw out the contents (which didn't look very good, but noticed nothing else - no mold or anything). Noticed a ring around the top of the can (not the lid) that looked kind of like galvanizing, but maybe not - the rest of the inside was lined. Maybe they didn't 'cook' it long enough (generally, fruit and veggies are put into a steam pressure vessel for a length of time to prevent botulism/etc.).

I usually try to buy name brand, although I know from personal experience (working in canneries when I was young), a lot of the name brand (e.g., Dole, Del Monte, etc.) veggies and fruits are canned on the same production line as off-brands - they just put different labels on them.

The can was dated best by 2013, so it is about 8 years old (canned sometime in 2012).

First time I have ever seen a swelled can of food.

Just noticed a large can of pears had a swelled top. Opened it up and threw out the contents (which didn't look very good, but noticed nothing else - no mold or anything). Noticed a ring around the top of the can (not the lid) that looked kind of like galvanizing, but maybe not - the rest of the inside was lined. Maybe they didn't 'cook' it long enough (generally, fruit and veggies are put into a steam pressure vessel for a length of time to prevent botulism/etc.).

I usually try to buy name brand, although I know from personal experience (working in canneries when I was young), a lot of the name brand (e.g., Dole, Del Monte, etc.) veggies and fruits are canned on the same production line as off-brands - they just put different labels on them.

The can was dated best by 2013, so it is about 8 years old (canned sometime in 2012).

I threw out a swelled can of SPAM last year, opened another and it was just fine (for SPAM... LOL). Bought the stuff back in '08.

Ever seen the movie Holes? You might have had a real money maker there.........

Most likely the acid in the product ate into the lining and tin (hence the galvanize look)creating a micro hole for air to start the breakdown creating the bulged top. It's when they finally pop that it gets interesting.

Swelled cans are prime reactive outdoor high power rifle targets.;)

I threw out a swelled can of SPAM last year, opened another and it was just fine (for SPAM... LOL). Bought the stuff back in '08.

I thought SPAM naturally killed all bad organisms :D.

I actually like the stuff fried. Fried spam sandwich is fancy vittles camping for me.

Yeah...don't eat cans that have turned (swollen up) like that. Might be nothing, but it is a classic sign of possible botulism. Even if botulism doesn't actually kill you , chances are you will be paralyzed and on a ventilator for weeks. Ten percent of victims die. From an internet reference on botulism:

How can you tell if canned food has botulism?
the container is leaking, bulging, or swollen;
the container looks damaged, cracked, or abnormal;
the container spurts liquid or foam when opened;
the food is discolored, moldy, or smells bad.

My wife has a master food preservationist certificate from a large eastern WA university. If it is swollen, toss it. We have eaten 3 yearly home canned potatoes and 7 year old fruit preserves. she can jerk, salt, smoke, water bath, pressure can any number of things, make sauerkraut, pickle, etc. But our rule is: If we hear a pop in our pantry we find the offending jar and out goes it's contents. Not worth taking the chance.

Brutus Out

I was given a couple of cases of home-canned jars of fruit by a family member once. Not sure who did the canning, but they'd been in storage for an unknown number of years. The contents looked perfectly normal through the glass, but I opened a couple and they instantly spewed out smelly foam.

Tossed all the rest without opening. Wasn't worth the risk.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top