JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So you dont think their is an actual law against officers drinking on the job? that's scary

you mean federaly? because state law says it is.

Actually the state doesn't say it's illegal, but decriminalized here. There is a difference.

Unka-Boo- 1) remember it was only a minute late, but late :)

I never said was a law, but most likely a policy- as is the case with most jobs. Hop off the high horse buddy. Try readig my post, and not just asusming and lumping me in with others.

I know when I was an LEO, we were forbidden to drink while "in uniform"...not just while on duty.

As for drinking and carrying a firearm, my opinion is that even the dumbest person can understand that drugs and firearms do not mix any better than drugs and driving.

OMG they had a policy on that,. Oh teh noes. It's not a law, how can that be. You must be a liar and a fudd ;)

So... we have came to a verdict that...
1. There is no law stating how much alcohol you can have while carrying, its not black and white like driving where a .08 is to much.
2. It should not be done because we all know alcohol or any substance and deadly weapons can be bad...
3. In washington it is illegal to carry in a bar but this is Oregon and I have an Oregon permit

1. There is no law stating how much alcohol you can have while carrying, its not black and white like driving where a .08 is to much.
Actually the last time this topic came up it was found that there were laws against being in possession of a deadly weapon while legally intoxicated...just not against simply drinking while in possession.

I would still question the common sense of anyone that would think it was a good idea to drink while carrying...just as I would anyone that would drink while driving. I would personally feel that they were not competent enough to handle the responsibility of carrying at all if they could not see the issue for themselves.

Let's keep in mind that having "A" beer is different then "Drinking", and smoking pot, medical or not.

Yes common sence must be used at all times; but even drinking a Belgian Tripple with lunch wont gain you a buzz. If you know you are going to be "drinking" leave it at home, better yet drink at home.
But if you are out and have "A" drink whats the problem?

Intoxication and good judgment are the issue here.

Did they tell you why you lost your CHL for a year? is that standard when you get a duii? I'm curious about what happened here.

As mentioned above there is no laws on drinking and carrying from what I have researched. But I just can't see an officer being okay with a drunk deer hunting party or a stumbling drunk walking down the street legaly open carrying or something like that. I haven't found any articles related to this topic at all

A DUII is a bad enough misdemeanor to loose your CHL for good regardless if I was carrying at the time or not. When I pleaded guilty to the crime my license was pulled, but I went through the diversion program and after 1 year they throw the case out(first duii only). If I were to actually be convicted I woulndt of gotten it back.

A DUII is a bad enough misdemeanor to loose your CHL for good regardless if I was carrying at the time or not. When I pleaded guilty to the crime my license was pulled, but I went through the diversion program and after 1 year they throw the case out(first duii only). If I were to actually be convicted I woulndt of gotten it back.

My recollection from the application is that any misdemeanor within the last 4 years is grounds for denial. I presume that if you are convicted of a misdemeanor while licensed is grounds for revocation. I guess since the case was thrown out, it could be reinstated in one year as opposed to four.

Using a firearm with any alcohol in your system is like an open and shut case for a prosecuting DA. The way I see it, people carry to protect themselves from the likelihood of a dangerous situation. drinking while carrying puts oneself in a dangerous situation. That just seems like contradicting action. Our society allows a certain degree of "impairment" while under the influence of alcohol. Not so forgiving when driving around in a 2 ton vehicle. Even less forgiving when behind the barrel.

i have a brewskie every once in a while, and I really love my whiskey, but straight up the guns and alcohol don't mix.

I'm not sure about the legality of consuming while carrying, but I have heard that the .08 rule applies. I'm no lawyer but it's what i've heard, and so when I drink I don't get drunk, ever, unless I'm home.

I got pulled over carrying, coming out of a bar parking lot, cop asked me where the pistol was, I told him it was on my hip, he asked if I was drinking, I said I had 2, he said, "y'all have a nice night" and drove off.

also, glad to hear there are other OMMP cardholders who carry :s0155::s0155:

According to Oregon CHL laws, anything that can be used to deny you a CHL can be used to revoke one. The reason usually stated is that you are on pre-trial release. Reason being is due to the fact that they don't keep you in custody until court, but they release you. During that time you can't be issued a CHL.

Nice job on the necro'd thread...

I'm not saying I do, but why would you not be entitled to protect your self after having a couple drinks. Just cuz I was to have a couple drinks doesn't mean all sense goes out the window. If you have your CHL, its obviously because most of the time you make sound choices. You guys that say " drinking and guns don't mix" must act crazy when you have a couple.... Not me.
Now I'm not advocating getting plowed and toting a gun around, but no one has the right to tell me when I can and cannot protect myself.

I'm not saying I do, but why would you not be entitled to protect your self after having a couple drinks. Just cuz I was to have a couple drinks doesn't mean all sense goes out the window. If you have your CHL, its obviously because most of the time you make sound choices. You guys that say " drinking and guns don't mix" must act crazy when you have a couple.... Not me.
Now I'm not advocating getting plowed and toting a gun around, but no one has the right to tell me when I can and cannot protect myself.
There is nothing really that bad about having just a couple drinks while carrying a firearm, but I think a better question would be "do I ever want to put myself in a position where my judgement could be called into question while carrying a firearm?" Drinking is a choice you make. It is not something you cannot avoid doing. If you choose to drink then leave the gun at home. Just in case you end up having one too many.

There is nothing really that bad about having just a couple drinks while carrying a firearm, but I think a better question would be "do I ever want to put myself in a position where my judgement could be called into question while carrying a firearm?" Drinking is a choice you make. It is not something you cannot avoid doing. If you choose to drink then leave the gun at home. Just in case you end up having one too many.

I have to respectfully disagree. Someone that wishes to prey on any individual may in fact be more likely to prey on a person that has had "one too many" over someone who hasn't. Simply because someone has had a drink or two or "one to many" doesn't make that person's right to life any less righteous when they have to perform self defense.

I have to respectfully disagree. Someone that wishes to prey on any individual may in fact be more likely to prey on a person that has had "one too many" over someone who hasn't. Simply because someone has had a drink or two or "one to many" doesn't make that person's right to life any less righteous when they have to perform self defense.
Now I disagree with you completely. If you think getting drunk and carrying a gun is okay then I think you are being foolish. If you choose to make yourself easy prey by getting drunk in public that is an additional foolish decision.

Now I disagree with you completely. If you think getting drunk and carrying a gun is okay then I think you are being foolish. If you choose to make yourself easy prey by getting drunk in public that is an additional foolish decision.

I never said it is okay or wrong to carry a gun and get drunk but I do say it is alright to perform self defense when needed at any point in your life. There is an absolute right to life, liberty & pursuit of happiness to every man. There are no exceptions but there are alot of excuses.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top