JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well if my Glocks and M&P's are true double action then my AR-15 is a bullet spraying assault rifle too. If I do not cock my striker fired pistols then I can not fire them simply by pulling the trigger.

In a TRUE double action from the resting position the trigger will cock (striker fired will NOT do this), being the first action, then release the sear, being the second action. If striker fired pistols are considered double action then what is a gun where the trigger actually has two functions called?

Doing a web search on the "double action pistol", double action pistol definition - Google Search I came up with some interesting results that say that same thing.

I do understand these guns are not single action either because they are only in a "half cocked" position on the striker. But they are not really double action either so it is just another perversion of what things mean. What is wrong with calling them exactly what they are which is striker fired.

Then there are guns like the Ruger LC9 & LCP, Taurus TCP, Kel-Tec .380, etc. that are hammer fired and work much the same as a striker fired. These are also listed as DAO but only have single strike capability.

Nwcid,I would guess the pistols are named a certain way for this very reason.So they can be used at certain jobs,like the OP's . Because non firearms people make decisions for guys like him,on he should and should not carry.
You just call them striker fired and then we have to go do some essplanen to Rrussy 'bout what that is

I would guess that most of the time,a manufacturer names a weapon on if they are trying to sell it to a government agency ,and what the contract says they will buy

I would offer the Sig P250 as a suitable DAO pistol.

Striker-fired pistols are a category unto themselves...I prefer a hammer-fired pistol so I can ride the hammer upon holstering and for it's double-strike capability. Striker-fired pistols do not have these features.

I've dealt with and applied with (when I was in that field) companies with such policies. Generally the policy read "hammer fired double action revolver or semi automatic" and the semi autos had to have a decocker and/or a safety lever.

Most security officers with those companies were carrying Ruger P-series pistols because they fit the bill, and were the least expensive of the reliable, name brand firearms.

The gun guys generally carried Sigs, Smith & Wesson classic guns, or H&K's.

Double check with the company - they likely have a list of approved weapons.

If I was getting back into that line of work, and couldn't carry a Glock, my first choices would be an older Sig P226 9mm or, if allowed, a CZ-75 (or 85, which is a 75 with Ambi safety/decock lever). Wouldn't be bothered with the Beretta 92FS. I've carried Rugers on the job before (P89 and P97) and would do so again if I couldn't afford a Sig, but had to provide my own weapon.

Loomis (the armored car company, not the fishing rod maker) had such a policy. They issued stainless .38 Smith & Wessons (I forget the model number) to new employees, and those who didn't want to buy their own.

The last security company I worked for mandated Glocks - you couldn't carry anything else. Most just had a broad, general policy basically stating any reputable, reliable firearm in 9mm, .38/.357, .40SW, or .45ACP. Most of my stint as an armed guard, I carried a Glock 17.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top