JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I regularly checked "drag-bags" or soft cases much to the chagrin of the TSA/HS minions, while pushing my weapons through the usual TSA procedures.
It only happened once but I did have to check optics when I would have rather carried them on.
I much prefer to travel, even locally, with locked hard cases.

Needless to say, soft cases won't pass TSA inspection.

Proximity issues between two rifles in a hard case can be mitigated with gun socks, and the foam grips it better than a shiny gun. @titsonritz had it right as to placement in the case.

My trusty all-aluminum two-rifle ICC (impact case company) has been to Alaska 6or 8 times, and more times to Montana than I can count, with two scoped hunting rifles and a couple large handguns inside. I actually watched one of those baggage-handlng troglodytes toss it on a tow-cart where it slid off onto the tarmac,

No issues.

I wonder how big your guns are?

Don't get me started on TSA, but if you fly with handloads, you can thank me for being able to transport them in a MTM-type plastic box. I raised enough stink and verbal embarrassment TWICE (without going to jail), followed up with "strongly worded letters including firm rebukes" that they finally relented on their stupid original regulation that required an "original factory box" for ammo. :cool:

Proximity issues between two rifles in a hard case can be mitigated with gun socks, and the foam grips it better than a shiny gun. @titsonritz had it right as to placement in the case.

My trusty all-aluminum two-rifle ICC (impact case company) has been to Alaska 6or 8 times, and more times to Montana than I can count, with two scoped hunting rifles and a couple large handguns inside. I actually watched one of those baggage-handlng troglodytes toss it on a tow-cart where it slid off onto the tarmac,

No issues.

I wonder how big your guns are?

Don't get me started on TSA, but if you fly with handloads, you can thank me for being able to transport them in a MTM-type plastic box. I raised enough stink and verbal embarrassment TWICE (without going to jail), followed up with "strongly worded letters including firm rebukes" that they finally relented on their stupid original regulation that required an "original factory box" for ammo. :cool:
Or you can just put your handloads in an old factory box.

Or you can just put your handloads in an old factory box.
Precisely that suggestion was made as a "confidential aside" by one TSA idiot. Whereupon I pointed out that if discovered, I would be guilty of purposefully circumventing their regulations, rather than doing the very best I could (and by the recognized very best method) of transporting ammunition despite their not well-considered and/or ignorant rules. I also asked where I might find an original factory box for my own wildcat .25 PPC.

In both instances (after bringing in "Supervisors from the office", and the surrounding crowd beginning to laugh at them) they folded and let me fly with my well-packaged handloads.

I gave 'em even more ridicule at that point for lack of integrity, and raising an issue that apparently was no real issue.

One good thing (or maybe not) about the ordeals was that when they modified the regs, I got an e-mail from a Regional mucky-muck, "This may be of interest to you.", and a copy of the modified rules. So I was definitely on their radar (and probably still am).

Last Edited:
Here's a double scoped rifle case, 53" x 19-3/4" x 5-5/8" amazon.com/gp/product/B000P583SQ

As a matter of fact I have two of these I don't need, if GusGus1102 or anyone else is interested PM me, or say so here and I'll post an ad for them.

Here's a double scoped rifle case, 53" x 19-3/4" x 5-5/8" amazon.com/gp/product/B000P583SQ

As a matter of fact I have two of these I don't need, if GusGus1102 or anyone else is interested PM me, or say so here and I'll post an ad for them.
The Plano case that I own is made of very thin plastic. I'm not sure how well it would hold up to a baggage handler. I only use mine for range trips, and only as a last choice.

Update! It's been interesting watching this thread head off on a few tangents, and I appreciate all the suggestions. Many were very helpful, good ideas, but still didn't totally solve my problem of needing a solid hard case with plenty of width to accommodate two scoped bolt guns. Welp, the unit that I ordered to start this thread just arrived. It's exactly what I needed! Remarkable how much of a difference 4.5" of interior width makes. Appears to be solidly built, and has nice interior foam. If there's a gripe, and this is TBD, the latches aren't quite as heavy duty as the units on my Pelican cases. I say that understanding that the Pelican cases are 2x the price. All in all, I'm pretty stoked to finally have a unit that is dimensionally exactly what I wanted. Might actually order another one at some point.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews