Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

double action automatic handgun ??

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by oldbrass, Jan 15, 2012.

1. oldbrass

oldbrass WA Active Member

I recently started doing security work (unarmed) I have a choice to go armed if I choose to. The company policy is that your firearm must be double action revolver .38 or better OR double action automatic 9mm or better..my 1911 doesn`t qualify so my question is who makes a double action automatic??
    I was kinda tee`d about this cause I`d prefer a glock

2. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

More then half of all semi auto pistols are double action. HK, Ruger, FN, S&W, Sig, Taurus, Beretta, ect all have offerings.

3. Garg

Garg east of portland metro Hold my beer..... watch this Bronze Supporter

FNH makes a pretty nice pistol. FNP-9.
    Got one for my wife for christmas, and it shoots great. DA/SA

4. bruzer

bruzer Grants Pass, OR Well-Known Member

I am no expert but Beretta makes some Double Action Only pistols. 92D, PX4 Storm Type D, Cougar 8000D. I am sure there are many others too. Good luck,
    Mike

5. cotillion

cotillion medford Active Member

Springfield xdm?

6. halmbarte

halmbarte PDX Active Member

DA/SA or DAO only?

Lots of DA/SA pistols that are great, the only two DAO I could recommend are the Walther P99 and the Sig P series with the DAK kit installed.

Personally, I carry a P226 with DAK. It's a DAO with a consistent 6lb smooth trigger.

H

7. Nwcid

Not a double action. Double action means it will cock the hammer and fire with the single pull of the trigger. Striker fired pistols are basically single action.

8. rawen2

rawen2 Portland Area Active Member

Glocks and most other striker fired pistols are listed as DAO. Pulling the trigger finishes cocking the striker and releases it. You might ask your employer to make sure whether these are allowed or not. LEO's use mostly striker fired so I don't see why a security company would not allow them.

9. wayoutwest

wayoutwest Polk County, Oregon Active Member

SIG has DAO and DAK...look around for a CPO or LEO trade-in in DAO (a P228 DAO would be my pick)

10. halmbarte

The standard Sig DAO sucks. Long and heavy trigger pull of around 12lbs. The DAK type DAO runs about 6.5lbs and is smooth.

H

11. pokerace

pokerace Newberg Well-Known Member

S & W makes a lot of them.

12. Abiqua

Abiqua Oregon Active Member

HK with LEM.

NCW Ray and (deleted member) like this.
  13. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Kahr P45 double action only and a .45. Also have a CT laser on it. That's what I carry for my security job along with two extra mags.

They also have the CW45 which cuts out some of the extras like competition barrel and extra machining.

14. deen_ad

Most Kahr's are striker fired and double action.

My Taurus PT-145's are single action on the first shot and double action thereafter.

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Nwcid

I have not had the chance to play with one so that might be an exception. So with an empty gun you can pull the trigger, it will reset itself and you can pull it again over and over?

So it is a single action....... Single vs double describes the action of the trigger. On a single action the pulling of the trigger ONLY releases the sear allowing the hammer to fall. On a double action that means that from the hammer down position the trigger will cock the hammer then release the sear.

16. halmbarte

Nope, the Kahr pistols are one shot (so to speak) strikers. Once you pull the trigger the stricker must be reset by the slide.

I've never felt that type of action was a real disadvantage. If I pull the trigger and get a FTFi I'm not going to keep squeezing the trigger* like a dork. Run the slide, get rid of the dud, and pull again.

H

*The exception would be if you're holding a wheelgun. Pulling the trigger again gets you a fresh cartridge in that case, of course.

17. deen_ad

On the Taurus the first shot is light, as is each one fired thereafter UNLESS there's a misfire, then you have a second strike capability with a much heavier, longer pull. I pulled out one of my PT-145's to verify this.On a Kahr you have the same heavy trigger pull for every shot and NO second strike capability, you must rack the slide to reset the striker.

My description given earlier is as per the Kahr and Taurus websites as to their function, if you have problems with that you need to ask them.

18. oasis618

oasis618 Tacoma, Wa Active Member

Glocks are listed as double action so I'd just go with a Glock since that's your preference anyway.

19. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

When you pull the trigger it does both cock the gun and fire it,making it double action.
    Single action means the hammer has to be cocked somehow without the trigger.Like a thumb or the slide
    Impossible to do with a striker fired pistol

DA/SA pistols do both,but to shoot it single action,the hammer has to be cocked by the slide or your thumb.

So what the real question should be is,what gun besides the 1911 can't he carry,since most every available semi auto is either DA or DA/SA?
    I can't think of another SA auto right now (no coffee yet)
    High Power?

20. bulzeye

bulzeye scappoose Member

glocks are DAO as well as M&P's. XD's are listed by springfield as SA