JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
One more thing,, if you are stowing that gun in your vehicle as a primary weapon, what do you use for defense when exiting your front door and walking to your vehicle, and when coming home? These are primary situations where you might need a weapon.. forced entry as you open the door, or returning home to a burglary in progress..

Wear the gun on your person before you step out the door

So i was just curious if anyone here has a gun they just keep in their car.. and thats where it stays... I have been thinking about getting one.. I know there are times I gotta run to the store and forget to grab my carry weapon, or maybe a time where a short trip to the store turns into a long trip..

I also know that having a gun in your car if the car is stolen could be bad as well.. obviously one would hide the gun so only they knew where it was but that wouldn't help so much if they decided to search the car.

Any thoughts ideas? I know a car safe would be smart as well

in Seattle did that, his handgun is still missing!!

If I'm packing or have one in the car or MH I'm certainly not posting about it on the Internet!

Used to keep a pistol in my car. It was a 62 Skylark and had this nifty little secret compartment in the dash. It was a dealer option and is on very few cars...in fact I'd had the car for 2 years before accidentally finding it. Big enough for a compact or 4" revolver. I'd say that if you're going to keep a gun in the car it should be 100% concealed even if it's a rifle.
I had a '62 Buick Special, if it had a secret compartment I never found it, neither did my father when he had it. Guess he didn't order it that way. That car would go 90 in low or high gear (2 speed auto and 215 cu in alum block V-8 (NOT a V-6))

I think this is a bad idea if you live anywhere near the city. Any dumb punk kid (or adult for that matter) can break in a have themselves a throw away gun.
I don't need that trouble.
The only way I see this being ok is if you have it secured. Somekind of lock system or locked glove box, etc.
leave it at home at that point. When you need it you need it NOW, not after you unlock the glove box (which can be pried open with a screwdriver anyway)

Most people that lose guns from their car suffer "backdooritis". It's pretty easy to jimmy a trunk lock. This is how most cop's guns are stolen from squad cars, etc
The majority of thefts from cruisers seem to occur in the same fashion as most car thefts period. Through open doors that have been negligently left unlocked. I just saw a thing on TV the other day about this on one of the reality shows. That is why it is so important to make sure you not only lock your doors, but also have the gun secured inside a second line of defense inside the car. Like a gunsafe, locking glove box, or a cable safe.

Last Edited:
In my view, leaving a gun in a car 24/7 is a bad idea, for a variety of reasons: invitation to theft, any number of insurance issues (starting with someone breaks into your rig, steals your gun, and uses it to commit a crime), rust/pitting issues, etc. What's wrong with taking the firearm out of the car when you park it for the night?

When I had my Dodge Ram, I always had my AR, 870 or .30-30 in there, locked up. I'm my car I don't right now, but ide like to. The way I look at it, if somebody is going to come to my house and break into my car, you will be meeting my Glock. My car is parked right infront of my bedroom window and there is a motion light right above my car, oe of the lights is aimed right into my room, so when anybody is around my car, a flood light wakes me up. And I can hear thing that close. Come and *try* to take anything of mine you want. Ill give you my address and you can come over here and take a look at my stuff. Anyway, when I buy another truck, it will have a rifle in it 24/7.

Charter Arms .38 in mine. I discovered a void under my center console that is real easy to access and keeps in hidden. When I'm in my truck it goes in the door pocket, when I leave the gun it goes on me.

I dont worry about it at home because if you find your way to my house, you will need to have a gun to have a fighting chance!

I always have my carry pistol on my belt when I'm in the car but I don't have a gun that stays in there 24/7. Is there a good trunk safe that you can bolt to the frame and would fit a 16" AR-15? It would be nice to know that I have a rifle ready to go if I need it.

What about a pelican case? Not as secure as an actual safe, but they can be bolted down or locked with a thick cable to the frame, right? That is smash-and-grab proof at least, and it's easily portable if you need to bring it somewhere else.

Do I have a firearm in my vehicle? Maybe.

I have the right to keep a firearm in my car or in my home or place of business. Others do not have the right to break in and steal my property. This has been the substance of "whats-what" for thousands of years.

As long as my car is locked and my house is locked and no firearms are visible from windows, I feel that I have taken reasonable precautions. I am not required to take more than reasonable precautions. My failure to take more than reasonable precautions carries no penalty and no responsibility.

I am not responsible for what someone who steals my property does with it. Nor am I in any way accountable. Nor am I morally wrong for taking just the most reasonable of precautions. Nor am I "stupid" for not putting any item of property into a safe. It is my property. I can do with it what I wish within the context of the law and reasonable behavior. It's my loss if my property is stolen and I assume the financial burden of that loss. But not the moral burden. And not the responsiblity for "allowing" it to be stolen. No one "asks" to be victimized. No one is "responsible" for having been victimized.

It's not the stolen gun that commits the crime. It is the criminal. He alone bears the moral burden.

I've thought about leaving my S&W in my truck at all times, but can't bring myself to do it. I live in the city, never had a vehicle broken into, but I know it'd happen the day after I start leaving my revolver in there. :s0114:

I'm moving to the country soon, though---may start keeping it in there after I move, we'll see.

Leave a gun ? no way, I live in an apartment complex and in the last 2 weeks the Honda that parks on my left and also the one that parks on my right were stolen and stripped 3 blocks away. :s0131:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top