JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The guy (thief) stole the radio and messed up the ignition switch then ran away. Chasing him down and shooting him to death does not seem "reasonable" to me.
Your mileage may vary...
I agree with you there. I didn't actually read this article, but I've had the conversation before about what property defense would look like. I spent way too much time in Alabama, I need to start looking through a Washington lens...

Didn't know Washington has a gun registry?

They do not call it that but yes we do. If you ask about it the answer you will get will probably by a flat out lie. Because they do not call it by that name does not change the fact that we have a de facto registry . We do not YET have it where you can not legally own a gun that you did not "register". If you buy one in this state at an FFL the info is there and does not ever go away.
It's all kept at records by the department of licensing or something. Don't quote me on who keeps it, but you can find it in the RCW. The purchase records are similar to Oregon with the OSP.

It's all kept at records by the department of licensing or something. Don't quote me on who keeps it, but you can find it in the RCW. The purchase records are similar to Oregon with the OSP.
Yes many pretend we do not have it but, every time you buy one from a dealer that info is kept and can be searched for. Many "think" we do not have it because its not yet set up so you have to go tell them about guns you already had, or bring in from other places and such. So "technically" they are correct we do not have one yet. Sadly a lot of people I run into think that when they buy a gun from an FFL the state just deletes that info. They get often get real defensive when I tell them that's not how it works because they do not want to believe it. :s0092:
I tell them not believing it does not change the real world. :(

I agree with you there. I didn't actually read this article, but I've had the conversation before about what property defense would look like. I spent way too much time in Alabama, I need to start looking through a Washington lens...
If you find some scum breaking in you can of course try to stop them. Like "HEY, WTF do you think you are doing!" Now if the scum attacks you? Then you can of course defend yourself. If said scum runs you of course do not want to shoot them in the back. In ALL cases if you shoot you need to be VERY careful what you say when you call 911 and when Police show up. This is when you need to let a lawyer do the talking. Most of the time when someone gets in a bind over a shoot that was probably OK, its the way they keep talking after that sinks them.

So how do you guys reconcile the fact that the WA state constitution says that you can use "reasonable force" to protect your property or the property of others? What level of force would be considered "reasonable"? A punch, a bat, a taser? If nothing is go in to be considered reasonable, have the stones to just come out and say, "you don't have a right to protect your stuff…"

Interesting article! :)

Last Edited:
So how do you guys reconcile the fact that the WA state constitution says that you can use "reasonable force" to protect your property or the property of others? What level of force would be considered "reasonable"? A punch, a bat, a taser? If nothing is go in to be considered reasonable, have the stones to just come out and say, "you don't have a right to protect your stuff…"
Chasing someone and killing them when they are not a threat to life or property is far from reasonable.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top