JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

How Well Does The Firearms Community Treat Various Minorities - Multiple Votes Allowed

• In general pretty equally, though some individuals simply clash

Votes: 66 68.0%
  • Racial minorities are excluded poorly treated

Votes: 15 15.5%
  • Women are excluded or poorly treated

Votes: 12 12.4%
  • LGBTQ people are excluded or poorly treated

Votes: 23 23.7%
  • Agnostics, athiests, or people of non Christian religions are excluded or pootly treated

Votes: 10 10.3%
  • Members of the political left are excluded or poorly treated

Votes: 31 32.0%
  • Younger generations such as "Zoomers" are excluded of poorly treated

Votes: 8 8.2%
  • Others not listed are excluded or poorly treated. Please elaborate

Votes: 3 3.1%

• Total voters
Well, there is ONE part I have GRAVE misgivings about. The sloppy gun handling in entertainment media that teaches the 'it must be true it's what MAH TEE BEE showed me' drooling morons bad habits that are Recipes For Negligent Discharge.

Every sub-culture in the world has members who hold animosity towards those who are traditionally hostile towards their beliefs. That's just human nature.

If you're going to make judgements about a culture based on the bigotry of a few, you'll have to judge every single culture in the world. Most of the "gun culture" people that I've met over the years have been pretty welcoming, or at least as open and welcoming in general as any other group.

As I've mentioned before, I have yet to hear anyone that I know say anything negative about the increasing diversity among gun owners. I've heard a lot of people say how great it is to see more women and minorities exercising their second amendment rights.

Every sub-culture in the world has members who hold animosity towards those who are traditionally hostile towards their beliefs. That's just human nature.

If you're going to make judgements about a culture based on the bigotry of a few, you'll have to judge every single culture in the world. Most of the "gun culture" people that I've met over the years have been pretty welcoming, or at least as open and welcoming in general as any other group.

As I've mentioned before, I have yet to hear anyone that I know say anything negative about the increasing diversity among gun owners. I've heard a lot of people say how great it is to see more women and minorities exercising their second amendment rights.
I have friends I grew up with that are way far left. I keep in touch because despite their politics are decent people and I get tidbits about what is happening that I might be concerned about in lefty land. Yeah, they are politically active and share all the usual memes on social media.

Every once in a while I get the the "well, aren't you concerned about black people having guns, huh? How does that make you feel? Scared?" line which always pisses me off since it assumes racism with conservatism and uses identity politics to make the point.

I always let them know that I support everybody's right to self defense regardless of race, gender, politics, or any other way you can divide us into groups (purposely leaving out sexual preference or assumed gender stuff). If you know a new shooter who could use some advise or gun safety information feel free to send them my way.

Our community is often misunderstood this way.

Every once in a while I get the the "well, aren't you concerned about black people having guns, huh? How does that make you feel? Scared?" line which always pisses me off since it assumes racism with conservatism and uses identity politics to make the point.
The 2A community is the only one who actively supports the right of ideological opponents to be armed.

Once i opened my eyes, I learned to recognize hate, bigotry, and idiocy that exists among some on the conservative side. BUT, the right doesn't have a monopoly on such things, FAR from it. The left has such things in abundance too, usually combined with over-the-top arrogance.

Some of our esteemed left-leaning members here love to point out the hypocrisy and ignorance of the right, in any degree, real and imagined, but are tellingly silent when confronted with the same kind of stupidity from their side. Here's a tip: if you can't recognize radicalism on your own side, it's probably you.

With such a politically loaded issue like firearms, we're simply not all just going to get along. The best we can hope for is some mutual respect and tolerance. That's more than opposing ideologies have given each other on average, over the whole of human history.

Interesting presumption on the part of the "person" who felt the need for the poll. I don't belong to a "gun culture" but I do like and own guns. I don't belong to a "car culture" but I do own and operate vehicles. I don't belong to a "bicycle culture" but I do own and ride bikes. In hindsight, I guess I belong to many "cultures" and don't know it! But the pollsters are all knowing in their finate wisdom!

Well, there is ONE part I have GRAVE misgivings about. The sloppy gun handling in entertainment media that teaches the 'it must be true it's what MAH TEE BEE showed me' drooling morons bad habits that are Recipes For Negligent Discharge.
Are you saying you don't keep loaded guns in your desk drawer, especially while having the Syndicate, mobsters, paid killers or blackmailers hot on your case? It almost sounds like no one ever cut your brake lines. I know. Sounds crazy.

Are you saying you don't keep loaded guns in your desk drawer, especially while having the Syndicate, mobsters, paid killers or blackmailers hot on your case? It almost sounds like no one ever cut your brake lines. I know. Sounds crazy.
By which I mean the boogerhooks on triggers at all times, the randomly pointing them in all directions, the random shooting rather than being certin of target and backstop... you know, all that crap that violates the Four Rules.

And yes, I do keep a loaded 1911 under my pillow when I sleep... I actually HAVE had a stalker, well my ex's stalker.

The 2A community is the only one who actively supports the right of ideological opponents to be armed.

Once i opened my eyes, I learned to recognize hate, bigotry, and idiocy that exists among some on the conservative side. BUT, the right doesn't have a monopoly on such things, FAR from it. The left has such things in abundance too, usually combined with over-the-top arrogance.

Some of our esteemed left-leaning members here love to point out the hypocrisy and ignorance of the right, in any degree, real and imagined, but are tellingly silent when confronted with the same kind of stupidity from their side. Here's a tip: if you can't recognize radicalism on your own side, it's probably you.

With such a politically loaded issue like firearms, we're simply not all just going to get along. The best we can hope for is some mutual respect and tolerance. That's more than opposing ideologies have given each other on average, over the whole of human history.
I've found that people on the left and right share virtually all of the same goals; it's how to achieve those goals is where we differ. In addition we have become so polarized that most on the left get their news and information from a small handful of biased sources and ignore those that differ as "fake news" as does the Right.

Both sides share the same yet opposite ignorance and prejudices about the other. That's a big reason I'm always to be helpful and work with those who I disagree with. Some have even admitted (quietly) that I'm probably not a Fascist NAZI that's worse than Hitler and likely not even an existential threat to the climate.

What is "Gun Culture"?

I have guns because I go out and shoot them, usually every month, I also like 100 year olds stuff, cleaning, refurbishing and collecting cool old firearms.
That's my culture I guess.

My friends and family have guns and never shoot them.
I hope I never lose my enthusiasm for the hobby.

People and their perception of firearms...and gun owners , can give me misgivings.

More that once I have been told :
" You , you own guns...? But you're so nice...."

The commonly seen stereotype of a gun owner , is a difficult one to overcome.
It can be done..I have done so.
It does take , time...and patience....Along with the willingness of others to see and accept a different point of view.
Andy

People and their perception of firearms...and gun owners , can give me misgivings.

More that once I have been told :
" You , you own guns...? But you're so nice...."

The commonly seen stereotype of a gun owner , is a difficult one to overcome.
It can be done..I have done so.
It does take , time...and patience....Along with the willingness of others to see and accept a different point of view.
Andy
But, BUT, B-U-T,.........................Your so nice, ...................WHY,........................

:s0140:

I'll throw this in. Gun boards that are run by people with leftist ideology are on the rise, and its pretty surprising how they communicate- or the moderators seem to communicate- sharing info on banned individuals. You can be banned from one board and many others will then refuse to allow you to sign up if you use the same email address. Whats more, the posters act like typical leftists- if you say one thing that triggers one of them you can expect to be swarmed and then banned. Once you are on the radar, others will pick fights or troll you and if you react, youre banned or the warnings start and then you are banned. Your info is then shared with other interlinked boards, and attempting to join results in being denied for "spam". There is a big name forum dedicated to the black rifles. It is owned by secondadventure, which interestingly sounds like secondmediagroup.
Get yourself banned from there and then go try to join theliberalgunclub forum. (Which looks like to me a place to whine about politics masquerading as a gun club)

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top