JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Do you attend gun shows?

• Yes, I do.

Votes: 40 19.9%
  • Yes, but rarely.

Votes: 82 40.8%
  • Nope, I just don't bother any more.

Votes: 64 31.8%
  • No, I never have.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • Eh (burp) wut wuz duh (bromp!) ques'n?

Votes: 4 2.0%

• Total voters
The "area" by law is "inside the building."

Not quite what I was thinking, but legally correct. LOL.

My intent was that if the folks hosting the show (Rose City or Wes Knoedel) designated a space (next to the beanie babies & jerky) and made it known, it might get more of the unique stuff out there.

Not quite what I was thinking, but legally correct. LOL.

My intent was that if the folks hosting the show (Rose City or Wes Knoedel) designated a space (next to the beanie babies & jerky) and made it known, it might get more of the unique stuff out there.
The couple that used to bring beanie babies hasn't done a Portland show in two years, and won't be. I know because I loaded their van for them.

The hosting companies wouldn't get any money out of doing that, so what incentive do they have? They always make money. The table holders, not so much.

I'm really curious about this statement. Where can you find 9mm 115 Grain TMJ Copper casing for less than $10.00 per 50 shipped? I have been searching everywhere!

-Greg

Online: 9mm luger ammo handgun

https://www.outdoorlimited.com/Maxxtech-9mm-Ammunition-PTGB9MMB-115-Grain-Full-Me-p/ptgb9mmb.htm

Sometimes you have to wait for some sales.

CCI Blazer Brass 9mm 115gr FMJ Ammuniton 50rds - 5200

450 rounds Magtech 9mm 115 Grain FMJ Handgun Ammo - $85.49 shipped

Also consider shipped cost vs. the cost of entry to the show, gas, time to get there, parking, etc.

WHile I used to enjoy going to the shows they are not so enjoyable anymore that I am willing to expend the total cost and time to go there and not find something worth the time and cost.

I have grown away from wasting a lot of time shopping for anything in person that I can get online for a similar cost. About the only shopping I do is convenience shopping (when I am going by a place anyway) or grocery shopping and I try to do this kind of shopping minimally (no more than once a week - when I get gas for my car).

Last Edited:
I used to go to the WAC show in Puyallup all the time. I was a member for years. I have not been in probably 4 or more years. Between being able to get bulk ammo, mags and optics cheaper online and then I started to reload my own ammo, there did not seem to be much reason to spend the hour to get there, pay for entry, be elbow to elbow with way too many people in a hot muggy room, etc. On top of all that, the prices were high from what I saw and I do not buy a lot of guns to start with. So I quit going.

I enjoy the gun show for many of the same reasons posted here. Lots of looking, a little buying. I go to all the Washington Arms Collectors shows in Puyallup. Used to also attend the shows at Monroe, but that's a ways from Bremerton. I always come away with a few things, once in a while a gun. The best part for me is shooting the breeze with fellow gun enthusiasts, whether modern or black powder. I always come away happy and with a crick in my neck from looking at stuff.

The title kind of says it. Do you attend gun shows? If so, why so? If not, well, why not?
I used to have a membership with WAC but I haven't for about 3 years. The prices became too high and as mentioned here, vendors aren't really into negotiating.

I can get get good deals on ammo online and there are local gun shops that have good prices on guns. As far as I'm concerned, gun shows have more or less made themselves irrelevant.

The couple that used to bring beanie babies hasn't done a Portland show in two years, and won't be. I know because I loaded their van for them.

The hosting companies wouldn't get any money out of doing that, so what incentive do they have? They always make money. The table holders, not so much.

Additional revenue from increased attendance is the only upside for the hosting companies.
In that it's not quantifiable, and probably at odds with the vendors that have tables, probably not going to happen.

I'm an "old timer". My experiences with the shows goes back to the mid 1960's, when you could find old Winchesters and Marlins on almost every table. When the going price for a NICE 73, 92, or 94 was around $100 and 86 and 95 Winchesters weren't a lot higher. Times have CHANGED!

I'm a hands on guy, I go to shows to "fondle" the goods. I know ahead of time what the price on line will be, even with the shipping and FFL fees. I can usually "negotiate" the price down to very close to that, if not, I don't buy.

With used guns the "make an offer" still is the way to go. The seller can say NO or make a counter. Sometimes you can make a deal and sometimes not, but you never know if you don't try.

Mostly I find ammo and accessories that shipping will eat you up on if you order it on line.

I should note, I'm in Minnesota. I go the the local shows, usually within an hour and the big Minnesota Weapons Collectors shows a couple times a year. I also try to hit a Dakota Territory show at least once a year. There still are a few decent Winchesters that show up there now and then.

Last Edited:
I still attend gun shows but on a selective basis. I no longer go the the shows at the Expo center because the parking and admission prices just plain make me mad. I would rather go to the smaller shows. I find that the prices are usually better and I don't have to give up a whole day to see it all. Generally I go for enjoyment and seldom buy a firearm at a show. Mostly I am looking for reloading supplies.

I was reminded of this thread today in the strangest way. The only guns show I attend currently is at the gym. People are hella buff now-a-days and really like to show it in their stride. :cool:

I'm very selective about the shows I attend. Roseburg Gun Club, Klamath Gun Club, Albany Gun Club, The Big Reno Show; all are good shows with a good variety of guns and gun items. They seem to recruit dealers and private sellers with good stuff. I've attended a couple of Wes Knodel's shows and they were ok. I won't walk across the street for Collector's West shows. Crappy stuff, jerky, cheap swords and throwing stars.

Just thinkin it's kinda funny after reading through this thread how we all are. Best deals, most for our money, time compared to cost, how we used to have to go to a show for stuff that we can now get online, older, don't want or need to leave the house, some prefer the interaction, stupid laws that drive up the cost which directly affects our fun which really pisses us off, too cheap to pay to park and too lazy to walk that far, prices to high, don't want no stinkin bennie babies or crappy jerky. Makes me kinda wonder if maybe we're just a bunch of bubblegumy old women. Best thread for me in awhile

Went to my first show with my Dad about 50 years ago. It was wonderful. Then a hiatus while I grew up a bit, did a hitch in the service, and thought that because of the GCA 1968 shows were a thing of the past. Then I followed up on a flyer at a local range and went to a show in Selah WA. Small but great..back then. Once I knew they existed again, I started going regularly. Had a membership in WAC before and after they moved to Puyallup. Those were some great shows. LOTS of interesting and eclectic stuff, often reasonably priced or maybe too high the first time you saw it but at subsequent shows, if no one bit, the price gradually came down. Lots of things you'd normally only see in books. Moved to Oregon in the early 80's and the shows were good too. Then Measure 5 happened and the added nuisance and expense quickly eliminated a lot of the collectible stuff in private hands. I suppose the internet has had a lot to do with the decline from the mid 90s on. I've pretty much quit going since now they're mostly junk and the 500 variations of AR15 or square plastic auto loading pistols with precious little in the way of unusual or vintage stuff. Things were much better back when it was a free country.

For those interested in "Old Time" gun shows I recommend a trip to Carson, WA this weekend.

Carson Gun Show this Saturday, Dec. 3rd!!

Yes it is a small show but quite a bit of older, unusual stuff shows up. I will be bringing a 1904 Browning Auto 5 (Manufactured prior to US importation, probably for England), a Quackenbush .22, a Stevens Visible Loading .22, a Winchester Model 1890 manufactured in 1897, a J.C. Higgins-marked Hi Standard with the J.C. Higgins holster, S&W lemon squeezer .32, 1903 Mark I, Smith Corona 03-A3 (not pretty but period accurizing that works!!), L.C. Smith shotgun, Winchester Model 94 Eastern Carbine made in 1918, as well as a selection of more modern stuff, including two Ruger SBH's, two Remington 700's, one older BDL, one newer varmint gun, a VSSF, both in .22-250. Also some other stuff I may dig out, as well as reloading tools and casting equipment. And that is just my three tables.

The expo center shows suck balls, Keith's had about the best used stuff on show and he took up almost a third of the place! I don't even think he's been to the last few shows. Other prices are high, especially ammo, rarely a bargain on firearms. I Will not pay $18 to the expo center ever again.

Just thinkin it's kinda funny after reading through this thread how we all are. Best deals, most for our money, time compared to cost, how we used to have to go to a show for stuff that we can now get online, older, don't want or need to leave the house, some prefer the interaction, stupid laws that drive up the cost which directly affects our fun which really pisses us off, too cheap to pay to park and too lazy to walk that far, prices to high, don't want no stinkin bennie babies or crappy jerky. Makes me kinda wonder if maybe we're just a bunch of bubblegumy old women. Best thread for me in awhile

Just because I prefer to shop at home doesn't mean I spend all my time at home being too lazy to do anything but surf the web.

Oh wait - yes it does. :D

Seriously - a two hour drive, etc. - all that adds up. I am just not inclined to do that anymore. Human interaction? I am borderline Aspergers and I get too much of that at work. That is why I live as a recluse on a mountain. I would much rather be outside chopping wood or playing with the neighbor's dogs, etc., than spend any face time with strangers to see the same old crap they brought to the last gun show.

Or...

You know...

Maybe I could...

Spend some time with my guns?? :eek:

There is this concept - it is called "binary thinking".

Urban Dictionary: Binary Thinking

My biggest complaint is the non firearm items and folks that want a talk you down in price.
( As in a insulting low ball offer)
What's wrong with expecting to see guns and knives at a gun and knife show?
If I wanted to see beanie babies and other non firearm items , I'd go to a Christmas bazaar.
Or going to the black powder show and seeing purple and pink shooting bags and cheap modern swords and knives.

As to low ball offers , I get that we all want a deal ... But damn I do my homework and price accordingly.
If someone rudely throws out a low ball offer , I usually double my asking price as a counter offer before just saying no thanks and walking away.

As to the pluses to going to a show , one of our local guys hits most of the local shows.
He sells mostly militaria and related items.
He always has hats , jackets , patches , pins etc ... for $5.00 or less.
Watching a kid pick through and find a treasure he can afford to buy and then show off to his buddies is great!
Andy

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads