JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Do you attend gun shows?

• Yes, I do.

Votes: 40 19.9%
  • Yes, but rarely.

Votes: 82 40.8%
  • Nope, I just don't bother any more.

Votes: 64 31.8%
  • No, I never have.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • Eh (burp) wut wuz duh (bromp!) ques'n?

Votes: 4 2.0%

• Total voters
Thanks all for the comments, etc. Whilst writing up a different thread, I got to thinking about it being almost a decade since I've been to one. The last one was 2007 or early 2008. My wife went to a few on her own after that period and bought a couple of Walthers for herself at different times. But considering I rarely found anything worth buying, the crowds, an entrance fee, the parking, the glut of non-gun items, the occasional weirded out booths, and general jackassery, I just stopped going. Anything parts, accessories, and ammo wise can be bought via the Interwebz. Firearms too, though they required a transfer.

Some of the lame shows should be free to get in. I've always said there should be a punch card, after 10 shows you get in free. There are no more parts guys......where'd they go (online)? How many times have you been looking forward to the show only to find beanie babies and blowguns and now you're out $17 just to walk in, leave with nothing.

Yes! As a child my dad took me to 3 or 4 shows a month. I was able to talk to allot of old timers.. I learned sooooooo much from chatting with those guys.
I only go to a few every year now, just because I have other things to do.

I will add, the last two hours at most shows are a great time to go. I've seen guys reduce prices on used guns by allot! Just because they don't want to pack them home. Ammo, the same thing. Buy in bulk and holy cow can you get some good deals...
Just ask!

I go pretty regularly. Our show in Carson every other month and Oregon Arms Collectors show most months (forgot yesterday, damn!!), and the Vancouver show at the dance hall occasionally. Mostly gave up on Expo shows. Last few times we went I didn't even see anything interesting enough to pick up. When they dropped the Bi-Mart discount was the last straw. I know it was only a buck or two, but there is a always a line to cross and that was it.

We have some pretty awesome Gun Shows down here in Co, the big one in Denver is a must attend if you need parts or are looking for old and or collector pieces! It's like the shows of Old in Orygun back in the day! Sure, the dealers are pushing there crap at higher prices, but its the small mom and pop tables that get me coming back every month! We have 4 a month in my A.O. all with in 2 hours drive, so for the wife and I, its a day event to look forward to! Ammo deals are the real highlight, never a price gouge to be found! I think there is a gentleman's agreement about this, I can score better prices on site then on line even with free shipping! Sucks you guy's up in the PNW are getting hosed!!!

Haven't in years. I used to like to go and just handle firearms I wanted and then buy them elsewhere (online).

Seems to me like gun shows offer a few things, high prices, low quality items, and a bunch of junk people hope to rid themselves of.

And all this for high parking prices and high entry fees.

I do not attend. I've been to exactly 1, with a member here. Overall, I don't see much value in them, unless you're looking for something unique or you really want to put hands on a variety of guns. Talking to others, I get a lot of the same stories - overpriced stuff and vendors that aren't that willing to negotiate. That, and I really don't care for crowds of people - small groups are fine, but I'd rather avoid big groups except when really necessary - I'm just anti-social that way ;)

Big crowds really do a number on my ears, it sounds like big ole bee's nest swarming around me, like a roar.

My schedule has to be pretty empty in order for me to go any more. What happened to all the reloaders? I used to go just to check out the reloading gear but there is so very little at almost any show. The few that still have it want way too must for rusty dies or presses. But, I'm still a sucker, I seem to make it to four or five shows per year just because I like to disappoint myself.

I live about 5 minutes from the Expo Center.
I park at the MAX parking and walk. Only cost is entry.
Usually it's to get bulk ammo, or meet a couple of buddies that have tables there.
Occassionally, magazines, but more often than not, I go home after wandering for a while.

I do wish that the organizers had a table for BGC so private sales could happen there. I think you would see some more unique firearms if that were to happen.
You can legally make you OWN phone call to OSP to transfer a gun at the gun show.

Some of the lame shows should be free to get in. I've always said there should be a punch card, after 10 shows you get in free. There are no more parts guys......where'd they go (online)? How many times have you been looking forward to the show only to find beanie babies and blowguns and now you're out $17 just to walk in, leave with nothing.
The net probably had a lot to do with the decline alright. A lot of the gun stuff I used to see, buy, and sell is all on line now. No need to go to a show.

I pretty much only attend the shows in Hillsboro, they're close, free parking and I get to handle firearms that I'm interested in... Then go make a better deal online... And it's an excuse to get out alone for a couple of hours :p

Yes. I attend quite a few per year. In the dryer months I use them for a destination for a motorcycle ride. I use them for a political barometer. That is, how many guns available vs how many people in attendance vs gun prices. I even find the occasional deal (not many these days). It's a little embarrassing sometimes. "Hey, did I just see you at the last show"? I still don't know what I will do if I come across a CZ 75 Phantom.

I will add, the last two hours at most shows are a great time to go. I've seen guys reduce prices on used guns by allot! Just because they don't want to pack them home. Ammo, the same thing.

In my experience, the three day shows were the best because they would attract the most people, but the first day, usually being a Friday, not everybody is there yet, Saturday was the best day because everybody who was going to be there was there and setup - Saturday morning was best because that was usually before some of the good things had been scooped up. I always walked the aisles once before buying anything to make sure that I got the best deal on the best items.

On Sunday, of any show, some people had already left and by noon many people had left or were closing up, covering up their goods - so I rarely went on Sundays.

I don't go anymore. First, there is no real advantage to it anymore, hasn't been for a while - before the universal BGC law, Orygun shows required a BGC at the shows. When I lived in Seattle and still went to the WAC shows (before WA BGC laws) then if I found something that was a private sale, I could get it off the books - but not anymore. But I only went to the largest longest ones. But it was over an hour drive each way for me - so I went less and less.

Now I just don't go. I can get ammo at better prices shipped direct to my doorstep. I can find some guns here, and I am keeping my eyes open to order my first gun online (shipped to an FFL of course).

About the only thing that gun shows have an advantage over shopping online is being able to handle and look at the guns in person - but the last few I went to there wasn't much selection, not much that I had not seen before, and almost invariably the prices were higher than elsewhere.

So I just don't bother - it has been a few years since I went.

^same here. Went to a few gun shows in Monroe when I was in WA but wasn't that interesting. All the prices were just the same as the LGS. I did buy some ammo one time but that was about it.

I've been a WAC member for about 5 years, $35.00 a year is fair to me. I'll go mainly to look at the older rifles/revolvers and talk to the old timers, their knowledge is second to none.

I'll often buy ammo, tough to beat the bulk buy prices.

I used to go to every single one at Portland. While living in Seattle I would go to the Monroe and Puyallup shows AND drive down to the Portland shows.

Now in Portland, I haven't been in probably 3 years or more. Parking and door fees are stupid. There isn't anywhere the amount of gear nor the price it used to be. Private sales are completely regulated. I now just use the various equipment exchanges or buy on-line.

I usually go to the Rickreal show at least once a year if I'm looking for something new in box. Saves me a trip driving up to Keith's as he usually has 3-4 tables. . Anything else I can't find in the classifieds or in the pawn shops I can always find online.

I've never been into Beanie Babies, I make my own Jerky, and if I did wear eye glasses, I'd clean them myself thank you. :rolleyes:

Yes. I park outside to keep the cost low. I justify the entry by thinking that I spend at least as much time and money to go see a movie, so the entertainment value is there. I enjoy the hands on experience. And occasionally see a good deal. Some vendors are better than others when it comes to being competitive.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top