JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm in the market for another semi-auto mid size, fairly hi cap pistol. To date I carry a PF-9. I just traded away a J-frame clone Rossi. I have some others in 9mm but I'm looking for another .40. I have a Glock 22 which is too big for me for IWB.

I want a medium sized, relatively light weight plastic gun.

Question: I see some nice guns which have a lot of prominent protrusions on the left side which look to me as if they might dig into my ribs and side. I'm talking about safeties and other such items.

Do these protrusion cause a problem for IWB? If so, is there an answer for it without going to some extreme?

Thanks.
:s0155:

An example, although there are many others might be a Sig like this:

226.gif

As opposed to a Glock like this, or M&P below, or even some guns which have almost nothing:

Glock23.jpg

MP40002.jpg

I carry a Sig P239 IWB and it is extremely comfortable. I use a Milt Sparks VM 2 holster and it is so comfortable that I will even forget I'm wearing it. I went from a Glock 23 to the sig because the glock double stack was too thick of a gun for me to carry IWB. I got the Sig, which was single stacked and the VM 2 holster and it worked out great. The holster has leather that protects your side from the protrusion.
Just my .02

I agree...the holster prevents this from being an issue. I have had more problem with aggressive shaped rear ends on guns than I have any protrusions on the side.

BTW, why not considering the G27 as a small .40S&W caliber pistol? The Kahr PM40 or MK40 is also a good choice. The CW40 is a bit bigger but still small and easy to carry as well as a real bargain price wise. :)

There is comfort and comforting...

My first home I bought as a young out of high school man was a 12 acre ranch across from a railroad track. I lost a lot of sleep the first two weeks but eventually got used to it. I figured I'd sacrifice a little sleep for the comforting thought I wasn't living in a city. Funny thing is I got used to the train and forgot about it...

The same is true with carrying a defensive handgun. If one is serious about self defense and carries a serious defensive pistol then eventually the minor irritants that annoy or bother us will eventually just go away with some time.

Comfort is a consideration one must balance in the equation when choosing a defensive handgun and holster system...but it is not critical. If I have to fight to survive I want to carry the biggest stick I can clobber the threat with...so if that means some discomfort so be it. Any of the most common compact size defensive handguns - GLOCKs, XD(M), and Sigs will carry just fine in an IWB. You just got to work through some of the minor discomfort which may or may not manifest itself.

Try before you buy...borrow an IWB and handgun and wear it for the day.

The key is your body time...IWB carry is really limited by body type. If you're a certain body type it reallly doesn't matter what you carry it will not be an irritant but rather extremely painful. Certain body types cannot carry with IWB regardless of holsters and guns. Some brands of IWB such as the VM-II as John mention is an extremely effective system and will help mitigate some of the uncomforting effects of IWB carry. But if you have a certain body type then it doesn't matter what you carry IWB it will be painful. BTW the VM-II is one of the most copied IWB designs today - that should tell you something. Tony at Milt Sparks should have got a patient on that design!

I'm in the market for another semi-auto mid size, fairly hi cap pistol. To date I carry a PF-9. I just traded away a J-frame clone Rossi. I have some others in 9mm but I'm looking for another .40. I have a Glock 22 which is too big for me for IWB.

I want a medium sized, relatively light weight plastic gun.

Question: I see some nice guns which have a lot of prominent protrusions on the left side which look to me as if they might dig into my ribs and side. I'm talking about safeties and other such items.

Do these protrusion cause a problem for IWB? If so, is there an answer for it without going to some extreme?

Thanks.
:s0155:

An example, although there are many others might be a Sig like this:

226.gif

As opposed to a Glock like this, or M&P below, or even some guns which have almost nothing:

Glock23.jpg

MP40002.jpg

All three of those guns are great and can easily be concealed comfortably. I have a glock 22 and an M&P 40. They very similar in size but the glock is a little bit more comfortable to wear because it is a touch smaller. Especially around the bottom of the mag where it can poke you in the back while you are sitting. However I carry the M&P because during stress fires I shoot better with it.

No matter what, carrying a gun is going to be less comfortable then not carry a gun.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top