JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well....it was an interesting experiment.

Two USGI stocks. Paid $11 bucks each...plus shipping.
One a 50's production H&R stock in fairly decent shape.
The other an unknown war horse of a stock that looks to have seen a few things and might have brought back a disease or two.

The H&R stock was refinished using conventional (aka less intrusive) methods of removing the old finish and steaming out dents and dings.
The other unknown stock.....off to the kitchen dishwasher for a heavy-duty wash cycle! I have to admit, I was rather surprised at how well the dishwasher cleaned the stock up. It also raised a vast majority of the small and medium dents and dings. Had I run it again, I probably could have erased even more but I didn't want to remove everything completely and end up with a new looking stock. I wouldn't recommend this for handguards btw.

Before...

20211230_121539.jpg 20211230_120103.jpg

After the wash cycle...

20211231_153044.jpg

After working some boiled linseed oil magic.......
H&R stock on the left. Old warhorse stock on the right. I left the major dents and dings largely in place. They are part of the story behind where these pieces of wood have been. I did erase the "KVAXS" graffiti carved into the darker stock. I debated doing this, but I decided that if that stock had gone back through an arsenal, they would have sanded it off.

Left......1955 Harrington & Richardson M-1 Service Rifle. Philippine return rifle re-barreled to .308 Winchester.
Right....1956 Springfield Armory M-1 Service Rifle. Original 11/55 barrel in .30-06.

20220108_142656.jpg 20220108_142702.jpg 20220108_142722.jpg

They look great to me. If I had both of those and you had a feather in your shorts, we'd both be tickled!

Last Edited:
I carried one for months in the 1960's. Any idea why M1's are so much heavier now? :D

Mine did have a dark stock, not a light one, like these.

Bruce

You did a great job looks good. Curious as to how do they shoot? I bought a Garand years ago, all metal parts
less wood. Put it in an old stock I had, a little loose fitting? It did not shoot that well. A lot of things
can have a detrimental effect on accuracy with these old rifles. I fitted a new CMP stock to the rifle
and wow what a difference, excellent accuracy.

You did a great job looks good. Curious as to how do they shoot? I bought a Garand years ago, all metal parts
less wood. Put it in an old stock I had, a little loose fitting? It did not shoot that well. A lot of things
can have a detrimental effect on accuracy with these old rifles. I fitted a new CMP stock to the rifle
and wow what a difference, excellent accuracy.
I don't actually know yet. Might finally shoot them today. The H&R rifle has really good lock up with that stock. Plus, with the addition of a new barrel, it should shoot well. The Springfield is not as tight, which considering the condition that stock was in is not surprising. I have a set of new CMP wood that I can put on if needed. Also, the Springfield has its original 1955 barrel. It is in really good shape with a muzzle erosion of only 1+. Not too shabby for a 65+ year old USGI barrel.

-E-

Well....it was an interesting experiment.

Two USGI stocks. Paid $11 bucks each...plus shipping.
One a 50's production H&R stock in fairly decent shape.
The other an unknown war horse of a stock that looks to have seen a few things and might have brought back a disease or two.

The H&R stock was refinished using conventional (aka less intrusive) methods of removing the old finish and steaming out dents and dings.
The other unknown stock.....off to the kitchen dishwasher for a heavy-duty wash cycle! I have to admit, I was rather surprised at how well the dishwasher cleaned the stock up. It also raised a vast majority of the small and medium dents and dings. Had I run it again, I probably could have erased even more but I didn't want to remove everything completely and end up with a new looking stock. I wouldn't recommend this for handguards btw.

Before...

View attachment 1103549View attachment 1103548

After the wash cycle...

View attachment 1103550

After working some boiled linseed oil magic.......
H&R stock on the left. Old warhorse stock on the right. I left the major dents and dings largely in place. They are part of the story behind where these pieces of wood have been. I did erase the "KVAXS" graffiti carved into the darker stock. I debated doing this, but I decided that if that stock had gone back through an arsenal, they would have sanded it off.

Left......1955 Harrington & Richardson M-1 Service Rifle. Philippine return rifle re-barreled to .308 Winchester.
Right....1956 Springfield Armory M-1 Service Rifle. Original 11/55 barrel in .30-06.

View attachment 1103576View attachment 1103577View attachment 1103578
Another way to clean stocks is to put them in a long pan (Platic Window boxes available at garden centers works best.)with hot, soapy water for 15 minutes. It will remove the oil & pop most of the dings, & looks beautiful when it dries.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top