JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In my opinion H&R made the nicest garands, the machining, fit and finish and even the stocks are nicer than the others. If the one you are looking at has an LMR made barrel. Even better.

Mine. H&R manufactured in 1954.

F40C3728-A60A-48E6-AC96-600DACA20DF2.jpeg 74D0BEF9-3A89-484D-A422-5B2DC50D1ABF.jpeg

Enjoy that Garand and learn to shoot it Standing, Sitting and prone! Learn how to use a sling.
DRRC service rifle matches are mostly Garands. They sell ammo for the match and have rifles and
equipment to loan. Experienced shooters will help new shooters. http://www.douglasridge.org/cmp.html
Also Vintage rifle and pistol at TCGC. http://oldrustyguns.blogspot.com/
my strongest memory of shooting at Douglas Ridge was a spring shoot and it started to rain - typical Oregon Spring monsoon
I thought they would cancel the match, but I hear the Range Master bellow:
"no war was ever canceled due to rain - SHOOTERS TO THE LINE"
my spotter threw a blue tarp over me, as water was soaking up into my shooting jacket and turning my shooting mat into a sodden swamp
water pooling down off my hat, down my back
I had heavily lubed my bolt before the match - BIG MISTAKE IN THE RAIN
NM rear hooded site - bolt top filled with oily rain water
first shot, the recoiling M1 bolt threw water back and my face, glasses and small aperture rear sight filled with oily water
wiped my glasses and even worse - had to call it quits after the first shot
switched to my Colt H-Bar for the next shoot in the rain

WORD - wipe you M1 bolt dry of lube when shooting in the rain!!

Wait - did you think NRA matches are only shot on warm, sunny days?
LOLLLLLL
they don't mention that part and I've never see a photo of HP shooters laying out in the Oregon rain at Douglas Ridge or Tualatin Valley
we shot in rain, wind and even sub freezing temps, still have my GI winter shooting mits from the DAY
lay on your mat, watching the flags and shooting between wind burst, you never chase the wind with your sights
and then the 200 yrd flag is going left and the 300 yrd flag is going right and there's a mirage out at 500 yrds
you've heard of a range mirage on hot summer days, but have ever experienced the mirage coming off your M1barrel in freezing Oregon Spring weather

.Whenever I spotted a M1 Rifle...I checked the serial number to see if it matched the one on my dad's Weapon Card from the Army....Never found that one.
Tough odds on finding one specific rifle out of millions. However: I've read of a couple that were matched to a previous military user. One veteran got his completely at random when ordered by mail. The other one, a request was made for a search of CMP records to see if they could turn up any information. It happened that it was on their (then) current inventory records; when the crate was finally reached in the warehouse, they were able to sell it to the requester.

In my opinion H&R made the nicest garands, the machining,
In many ways, yes. With one exception that I can think of, which is the incidence of forging voids on the forward left side of the receiver was very high on HRA. The factory polished down the void's rough surface, but the profile with the little ridge along the edge was gone. Forging voids may be seen on receivers of the other manufacturers, not as frequent, and some down-right ugly because they weren't always prettied up like those on HRA,

If I remember rightly, HRA production deliveries didn't begin until about April, 1953 and the Korean War cease fire was late July, 1953. So not many, if any, HRA's were used in combat there.

There is a lot to know to avoid getting screwed when buying an M1 Rifle. I will say just one thing in this regard, don't buy one with import marks on it. There are plenty around that don't have them. All things being equal, your odds of having problems are less with a rifle lacking import marks. It's not a guarantee but a probability.

Tough odds on finding one specific rifle out of millions. However: I've read of a couple that were matched to a previous military user. One veteran got his completely at random when ordered by mail. The other one, a request was made for a search of CMP records to see if they could turn up any information. It happened that it was on their (then) current inventory records; when the crate was finally reached in the warehouse, they were able to sell it to the requester.
All very true...but...
It still is fun looking...:D
Andy

There is a lot to know to avoid getting screwed when buying an M1 Rifle. I will say just one thing in this regard, don't buy one with import marks on it. There are plenty around that don't have them. All things being equal, your odds of having problems are less with a rifle lacking import marks. It's not a guarantee but a probability.
Also look out for rewelds!! I would look for CMP or DCM rifles. Guarantee no reweld. I have owned several
H&R M1s. All have been excellent shooters.
That said when I was collecting Military Rifles...Whenever I spotted a M1 Rifle...I checked the serial number to see if it matched the one on my dad's Weapon Card from the Army....Never found that one.
What number are you looking for? Maybe someone here has it here? Don't give up I know a guy that found a
consecutive serial number to his M1 !
I have one in original 30-06, converted the second one to .308, both S.A.
that way I share ammo with the M1A
a .308 Garand is a pleasure to shoot
FYI-- 308 Garands are not legal for JC Garand and 'As Issued' matches.
My first DCM Garand was $165 shipping included to my front door. My CMP Garands
1628439592623.png

A lot of the problems that occurred early on during the development of this rifle were identified and corrected by Springfield at the armory. As time went by there were three other companies that took up manufacturing (H&R was one), but it was always Springfield out in front helping the others to perfect the production of this icon. I have never had a Winchester. I currently have one from the other three, but that in itself doesn't come close to having enough "samples" to make a judgement regarding their quality of manufacture. My IHC has the roughest looking wood inletting, the H&R has more (wider) wood to support the receiver, and the Springfield - well it just looks like the one John would have held. For what it's worth my father who was in the Army offered his partiality toward the Springfield's, I suspect, mainly because they were the originators of the Garand, along with so very many other arms made for the US military.

I got my first Garand after a friend of mine let me shoot his. I thought it was a cool gun but didn't shoot it much and sold it a few years latter ( for a profit) . I was out with a friend of mine once and shot it 4 times and handed it to him and he shot it 4 times and
he about bubblegum because he thought he had just broken my new to me rifle.
Had a good laugh over that

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads