JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you want one and get to inspect or even shoot it before buying.....I don't really see a downside (assuming that everything is GTG).

Of course.....everything has a price and maybe it will or won't fit your budget.

Do a search through the CMP website and other Garand websites.

They (all 4 makers) are GTG. Some makers might be more collectible and some are just a favorite because of a connection to the maker or a loved one.

I have one from each maker.

Aloha, Mark

Would it be too expensive to enjoy shooting and just a novelty to own? They seem to be rather expensive to purchase.
All depends on your notion of expensive....Yes they cost a bit to buy and feed...
But if taken care of , they will go up in value.

History and shootability they have in spades....so if you like history and like shooting....they make for a great rifle.
Andy

All depends on your notion of expensive....Yes they cost a bit to buy and feed...
But if taken care of , they will go up in value.

History and shootability they have in spades....so if you like history and like shooting....they make for a great rifle.
Andy
Ten points if you get the one that Andy used in the Korean war :s0010:

Ten points if you get the one that Andy used in the Korean war :s0010:
Ha...
That said when I was collecting Military Rifles...Whenever I spotted a M1 Rifle...I checked the serial number to see if it matched the one on my dad's Weapon Card from the Army....Never found that one.

As for Korea...dad carried a M2 carbine there by Rock-Ola...Always wanted a M1 Carbine by them....:D
Andy

Ha...
That said when I was collecting Military Rifles...Whenever I spotted a M1 Rifle...I checked the serial number to see if it matched the one on my dad's Weapon Card from the Army....Never found that one.

As for Korea...dad carried a M2 carbine there by Rock-Ola...Always wanted a M1 Carbine by them....:D
Andy
:s0122:

I'd love an M1 carbine, but I'm my opinion, the price is a bit high. I'll stick with my parts correct '42 Springer.

Another bit of M1 history. Springfield's and Winchesters were made during WWII and so on, H&R and International harvester started manufacturing after. I have a 1944 SA that was re-worked in 1948 with a 1948 SA barrel it also has a International harvester OP rod and Winchester hammer. Some collectors may not like that, but I think it's a cool piece of history. I would like to think it's a 2-war rifle.

One thing to keep in mind with military rifles...
When they were re-worked at a armory...the Army , or whoever , didn't care for future collectability ...
They just wanted a rifle to work again...so many parts on a re-worked rifle won't match.
And to me that ain't no big deal
Andy

Another bit of M1 history. Springfield's and Winchesters were made during WWII and so on, H&R and International harvester started manufacturing after. I have a 1944 SA that was re-worked in 1948 with a 1948 SA barrel it also has a International harvester OP rod and Winchester hammer. Some collectors may not like that, but I think it's a cool piece of history. I would like to think it's a 2-war rifle.
My first M1 was a 1942 mutt that had was lent to the Koreans during the war. It came back as an import with Korean markings, which was kind of cool, seeing as I was born there and all.

I later traded it for a Colt Python. But if have since come into the parts correct, believable 1942 that was a month younger than the original mutt.

Post War M1 Garands.

Aloha, Mark

PS....if it matters to you, check your ser #.

BTW....I had one of these too.
Didn't like it. Looked weird. So I sold it.

Last Edited:
Ha...

Andy
I have the serial number and it's etched Andy inside the trigger guard.

I'm a big fan of the M1 Garand. They're great rifles. 30-06 ammo isn't particularly cheap (it used to be), especially in the quantities you can go through in an M1, but it's not bad if you reload.

The best place to find one is via the CMP. It's a bit of a hassle but not bad. Unfortunately all they have left right now is their field grade for $650 shipped. That gets you a very functional, solid rifle. It won't be pristine or even terribly pretty, but it won't be junk either. In my experience they tend to be a little better than they're graded.

I have the serial number and it's etched Andy inside the trigger guard.
I only have "Andy" written in black ink on the bottom of my foot, oh wait...

jan1214-andy-foot-toy-story3.jpg

Post War M1 Garands.

Aloha, Mark

PS....if it matters to you, check your ser #.

BTW....I had one of these too.
Didn't like it. Looked weird. So I sold it.
According to the serial number between 1955-56 maunufactured dates

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads