JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Here are some pics of the other stock. I'm NOT running this one through the dishwasher. The DAS stamp is still there but heavily damaged from use. I have seen identical scratches on other stocks on the same side and location as this one. Damage from a sling or perhaps a rack? Today I'm going to attempt to steam those out without doing further damage to the stamp.

. 20211230_120109.jpg 20211230_120126.jpg 20211230_120139.jpg

-E-

Did you use a small handheld steamer or an iron with a wet towel maybe?
The first few ventures were with a good ole clothes iron then I moved onto a edgebanding iron aka mini iron and damp cloth diapers. I usually just chase the op rod handle dents from where all the guns have been precariously crated. I don't spend a whole ton of time on the minor dings and scratches. Alot of Garand collectors are pretty picky and able to discern whether or not a stock has been over sanded or heavily restored.

Day three......

I left the darker stock with all the battle scars it has accumulated in its life. It's not pretty, but it would be a sin to erase them completely.

The lighter H&R stock I was able to remove the gouging damage and still retain what was left of the DAS stamp.

More linseed oil to follow.

-E-

20220102_170325.jpg 20220102_170300.jpg

Day three......

I left the darker stock with all the battle scars it has accumulated in its life. It's not pretty, but it would be a sin to erase them completely.

The lighter H&R stock I was able to remove the gouging damage and still retain what was left of the DAS stamp.

More linseed oil to follow.

-E-

View attachment 1099898 View attachment 1099899
That looks mighty good to me. Can't tell what that stamp is for sure? Is that an eagle with three stars above it? If so I have that's what I have on my CMP Garand stock, in the same place. Does that denote stock manufacturer? No other marks on mine other than the circle-P. My stock has the color tone too. It's much better after cleaning with denatured alcohol and applying several thinned with mineral spirits BLO.

I'm not sure if it was mentioned, but as an en-juh-neer I really hate to hear about people putting things like cosmoline into the sewer system. Grease is bad enough, but cosmoline can absolutely cause issues for either you or somebody else.

I would recommend another method in the future, it might also save your dishwasher filter, waste hose, etc.

That looks mighty good to me. Can't tell what that stamp is for sure? Is that an eagle with three stars above it? If so I have that's what I have on my CMP Garand stock, in the same place. Does that denote stock manufacturer? No other marks on mine other than the circle-P. My stock has the color tone too. It's much better after cleaning with denatured alcohol and applying several thinned with mineral spirits BLO.
I think it was the eagle/three star 3/8" DAS stamp. It was pretty damaged during its life but the outer box is still in decent shape. Harrington and Richardson used the 3/8" acceptance stamp instead of the 1/2" stamp on the earlier 1950's stocks. This stock also has a wide porch behind the receiver which was also a feature on the H&R stocks.

-E-

I think it was the eagle/three star 3/8" DAS stamp. It was pretty damaged during its life but the outer box is still in decent shape. Harrington and Richardson used the 3/8" acceptance stamp instead of the 1/2" stamp on the earlier 1950's stocks. This stock also has a wide porch behind the receiver which was also a feature on the H&R stocks.

-E-
Help me with that "Wide Porch" ? I can guess, but never heard the term 'till now. I know Winchester M1 carbines had different shaped stocks that were flat/wider than others. My stamp is 1/2". I'd read about that but didn't recall who's was what.

My SA receiver dates 1952 and SA barrel (5) 44. not sure if the 5 means May or something else.

Help me with that "Wide Porch" ? I can guess, but never heard the term 'till now. I know Winchester M1 carbines had different shaped stocks that were flat/wider than others. My stamp is 1/2". I'd read about that but didn't recall who's was what.

My SA receiver dates 1952 and SA barrel (5) 44. not sure if the 5 means May or something else.
I'll post up pics later.

-E-

"Wide Porch" ?
H&R stock on the left. International Harvester stock on the right.

Not all H&R stocks had the wide porch but it is a 90% indicator. Combined with the smaller 3/8" wide DAS, which only H&R used, identifies it as H&R manufactured stock.

Regarding your DAS, near the end of production, everyone, including H&R, used the 1/2" DAS.

-E-

Inked20220103_160722_LI.jpg

Last Edited:
H&R stock on the left. International Harvester stock on the right.

Not all H&R stocks had the wide porch but it is a 90% indicator. Combined with the smaller 3/8" wide DAS, which only H&R used, identifies it as H&R manufactured stock.

-E-

View attachment 1100511
Thank you for putting this up. So interesting, the small variations in these rifles over the years, yet they pretty much all have interchangeable parts.

Besides the bone-white color of the wood, the cartouche that might be disappearing, and the possible stock twist due to drying. Of course, some of the noted effects......will/might just be more noticeable than others. Oooops.....not to mention.....the dirty sheen that someone might just notice in the dishwasher.

Well, as always......

Up To You.

Aloha, Mark

PS....you know how you change your vehicle's oil and you end up wiping your dirty hands on some towels. Yeah. And those towels get thrown into the clothes washer. Well, I learned that lesson too.
Have you had a stock twist? I was going to try the dishwasher for the first time on an old rebuild stock.

Last edited by a moderator:
No noticeable large stock twist on that one.
Maybe, it was because it was an M1 stock (those are usually thick) and not a skinner lightweight sporter bolt action stock? Or, maybe I was just lucky?

At any rate.....I wouldn't do it again.

Aloha, Mark

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews