JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is all I got-

imagejpeg_1.jpg

Awww.......Come On Man.

Rrrrright.....it might not be a shotgun but it could still do some damage.

Is that you President BIDEN?

Nope.....he hates all "Weapons of War".

Aloha, Mark

Hubba-Hubba!

I've got a Service Grade coming. I should be getting the notice of receipt of order soon, supposed to be 8-12 weeks. It's past that some now. CMP stopped taking orders for service grade 2 weeks after they should have received my order.

Please school me on the H& R M1 Garand! I know nothing about them. May have an opportunity to pick one up.
If the seller has barrel measurements that would help you determine value. Doing some of your own research would be better than I could tell you. Using a .30-06 round put bullet first in the end of the barrel is a pretty good indicator of muzzle condition. There should be, in my estimation, about a 1/4" of bullet above where it stops going into the muzzle. If the bullet goes in all the way to the rim of the case, pass on the gun.

Here's some reading...

I have one in original 30-06, converted the second one to .308, both S.A.
that way I share ammo with the M1A
a .308 Garand is a pleasure to shoot
So I've heard. From some reading it's not an uncommon modification, and competition shooters do quite a bit with them from what I read.

I did it back in '92 when I was shooting High Power
shot the 1000 yrd range at Ft Lewis with the .308
the rear sight ranging still matched the trajectory of my 168 gn hand loads all the way out
I use an Orion 7 op rod spring in both my Garands

Long ago, I thought about the conversion of one of my Garands to .308W. Yup....back then.....just getting 30-06 ammo was really hard and expensive (even if you could find surplus).

So, I bought a barrel in .308W.

The project lost steam when reasonably priced surplus of Greek HXP from the CMP became available in large quantities. Yup....I bought it and stacked it deep.

Those were the "Good Ol Days". But I guess that some here will probably disagree and tell us about even cheaper ammo days.

Yeah....
You probably don't want to know about CMP Garand prices. Or what the DCM was doing prior to the CMP becoming the source for Garands.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Long ago, I thought about the conversion of one of my Garands to .308W. Yup....back then.....just getting 30-06 ammo was really hard and expensive (even if you could find surplus).

So, I bought a barrel in .308W.

The project lost steam when reasonably priced surplus of Greek HXP from the CMP became available in large quantities. Yup....I bought it and stacked it deep.

Those were the "Good Ol Days". But I guess that some here will probably disagree and tell us about even cheaper ammo days.

Yeah....
You probably don't want to know about CMP Garand prices. Or what the DMC was doing prior to the CMP becoming the source for Garands.

Aloha, Mark
I used to have an FFL, and remember buying Russian sks for 79.99
Surplus reworked m1 carbines for 119.00 barrels were gray.

I'm not even going to check Garand prices today

I bought my second one in '91 for $350

I installed a vented gas plug in my .308 conversion to safely shoot LC M118LR

and cheeper ammo - back in '91, we were GIVEN LC 30-06 to shoot NRA LEG matches

rules required everyone shoot the same military issue ammo

Hilary Clinton stopped that in '93 - she told her husband the Government shouldn't support training snipers for anti Government militias'

she considered the NRA an anti government organization even back then

I unintentionally put my Special grade M1 in the "ordinary rifle" side of the safe and beat the stock up a bit throwing ARs and what not in next to it. I guess it's a regular shooter now. :rolleyes: Probably for the best. I'll bring it out to the range more often - people love shooting it.

Yep, those were the days for sure. 192 round sealed tins of HXP M2 ball, in M1 clips and bandoliers, IIRC less than $50 per tin, delivered? Excellent ammo too. It's been a long time so my memory could be faulty.

I did buy some ROC 30-06 ammo at one point from Century Arms for really cheap, ten or fifteen cents per round I think, but it was corrosive and the boxer primed brass used odd-sized primers making it not reloadable. Otherwise it shot fine.

I wish I had bought more HXP, but then again I never even shot up what I did buy, because I was buying ammo cans full of USGI pulled M2 bullets for a nickel apiece. Combined with cheap surplus powder, it made for even cheaper shooting, and I generally loaded my own a little lighter than HXP. HXP is great ammo, but it is definitely a full-power GI load.

You probably don't want to know about CMP Garand prices. Or what the DMC was doing prior to the CMP becoming the source for Garands.
I'll tell you what, those prices on Field and Service grade M1s are dirt cheap to someone like me. Gunbroker had many M1s with the hang tags hanging on them for proof of authenticity, and the dates were just a month or so before it was put up on gunbrokers for twice, or more than twice, the price from CMP.

Yeah.....a wanna go to ALABAMA with my son.....just to buy another CMP rifle. Road trip and bonding.

Yes....I know that things/supplies/availability changes and COVID.

Aloha, Mark

Hubba-Hubba!

I've got a Service Grade coming. I should be getting the notice of receipt of order soon, supposed to be 8-12 weeks. It's past that some now. CMP stopped taking orders for service grade 2 weeks after they should have received my order.

If the seller has barrel measurements that would help you determine value. Doing some of your own research would be better than I could tell you. Using a .30-06 round put bullet first in the end of the barrel is a pretty good indicator of muzzle condition. There should be, in my estimation, about a 1/4" of bullet above where it stops going into the muzzle. If the bullet goes in all the way to the rim of the case, pass on the gun.

Here's some reading...
my barrel ruined my rifle for any collectors value, it has a Douglas air gauged 6 groove med weight .308 barrel

but it sure does shoot!!

You can likely swap the barrel back to '06. Mine was converted, only change was the barrel.
no, I would rather have a shooter than a collector

in addition to the barrel, it has a NM front and rear sight, NM S.A. trigger and NM marked op rod and Orion op rod spring

stock is relieved and bedded

added a vented gas plug last year

this rifle is not for a purist, but a shooter who enjoys accuracy

you dont see many collector grade rifles winning CMP rifle matches

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class