JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The one knife that I always have on me is my Gerber Applegate/Fairbairn Combat Folder. We used to get these through the supply system when I was in the Navy, and I liked them enough that I bought my own when I got out.

When I'm hunting I always carry my Leatherman and an Old Timer skinning knife that's older than I am.

Got a SOG, 6" blade. Awesome knife and got it for a reasonable price. Just recently bought a Frost cutlery knife outside of a grocery store. 10 bucks and the handle is made of deer antler and brass looks great and very sturdy. I had never heard of Frost before, but it ended up being a great knife. Anyone else have experience with Frost Cutlery?

My buddy bought a big group of knives from the knife show on one of the shopping networks. It was like 75 knives for $75. I think most of those were Frost. He's been selling them on e-bay for for three or four dollars apiece. For occasional use they're all right, but I never liked them. I played with a lot of the ones that he ordered, and most of them don't lock up all that tight.

I've got a couple of them (I bought them from my buddy at cost) that I keep in different spots, like my fishing vest, glove box, and hunting pack. None of them are my primary knife, but they are a good backup.

When I leave the trailhead, this knife is always in my saddlebag or pack:

IMGP2272.jpg

It's not the newest or highest-tech knife. It is a USAF/USN air-crew survival knife in use from the early 1960s up to the 1990s. I carry this one because my uncle carried it on him as a USAF pilot over Cambodia, Laos, and Vietnam in the war. So it has some sentimental value. This one is from Camillus (R.I.P.); Ontario and Marbles also made them. I had another Vietnam one that was not my uncle's; a fellow paid my $225 for it. Folks really will pony up for the war time ones!

I also usually take a Wyoming Saw with me, too. Those things are awesomely handy. They have made the difference between turning around and heading back and making the camp/destination. In addition to a wood blade, it also comes with a bone blade for either game use or, er, less fortunate uses. I mean, if I ever end up like that climber in Colorado, I'd much rather have this than the pocket knife he used. Egads.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top