JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The one knife that I always have on me is my Gerber Applegate/Fairbairn Combat Folder. We used to get these through the supply system when I was in the Navy, and I liked them enough that I bought my own when I got out.

When I'm hunting I always carry my Leatherman and an Old Timer skinning knife that's older than I am.

Got a SOG, 6" blade. Awesome knife and got it for a reasonable price. Just recently bought a Frost cutlery knife outside of a grocery store. 10 bucks and the handle is made of deer antler and brass looks great and very sturdy. I had never heard of Frost before, but it ended up being a great knife. Anyone else have experience with Frost Cutlery?

My buddy bought a big group of knives from the knife show on one of the shopping networks. It was like 75 knives for $75. I think most of those were Frost. He's been selling them on e-bay for for three or four dollars apiece. For occasional use they're all right, but I never liked them. I played with a lot of the ones that he ordered, and most of them don't lock up all that tight.

I've got a couple of them (I bought them from my buddy at cost) that I keep in different spots, like my fishing vest, glove box, and hunting pack. None of them are my primary knife, but they are a good backup.

When I leave the trailhead, this knife is always in my saddlebag or pack:

IMGP2272.jpg

It's not the newest or highest-tech knife. It is a USAF/USN air-crew survival knife in use from the early 1960s up to the 1990s. I carry this one because my uncle carried it on him as a USAF pilot over Cambodia, Laos, and Vietnam in the war. So it has some sentimental value. This one is from Camillus (R.I.P.); Ontario and Marbles also made them. I had another Vietnam one that was not my uncle's; a fellow paid my $225 for it. Folks really will pony up for the war time ones!

I also usually take a Wyoming Saw with me, too. Those things are awesomely handy. They have made the difference between turning around and heading back and making the camp/destination. In addition to a wood blade, it also comes with a bone blade for either game use or, er, less fortunate uses. I mean, if I ever end up like that climber in Colorado, I'd much rather have this than the pocket knife he used. Egads.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top