JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'd like to keep Machetes and exotic knives to a minimum.

I'd be curious about your brand preferences, perhaps particular models of every Brand. More use-specific knives and how you like them the best. For example, a Benchmade model X for this, a Busse model Y for this... Compare, review, etc.

I don't want brand loyalty here unless it's warranted and backed up as I'd like a wide range represented here, but more discussion regarding tests (knifetests.com, or whatever the website is called, works well) they have endured, combat proven models. No reproductions.

To start, I read an article in a magazine last year about a particular Dustar survival knife that faired well in the review. Quite good photos to go along with it. Any thoughts on this knife?
I found one of the photos for reference...
test2.jpg

Perhaps the knife designed to meet the Navy's tests, I think it survived 4 years with no corrosion...?
Mission Knives' MPK Ti

Also, the Busse Combat line, which do you prefer as a survival knife?
2341618805_254b2181f6.jpg

I'd like some good combat proven examples.
Keep it open to the best of the best.

Regarding the "best of the best" folders potentially used for defense: I don't know what "highest quality" means to anyone else and I don't put a lot of stock in gun or knife rags but I'll share my own 1st hand experience with standard folding knives which generally are secondary or back up tools for self defense.

We provide defensive edge weapons training at OFA...as a result we put folding knives in particular through the ringer. Training is more than "just in the air" and more than just using "inert 'safety' training knives." We include full speed-full contact on simulated threats using live blades. We train with and use mostly folders because most people carry one or two folders for general utility work. Fixed blades while many would argue are superiour are generally not carried everyday in modern society. So we train with what we carrry. Generally folders can also provide a supporting role for handgun/long gun retention and/or solo as a defensive tool.

In our classes we have students cut a variety of things under simulated self defense conditions. We teach five basic cuts for general defense one of which is the back cut. The back cut is by far the most strenious on knives and most folder designs fail under simulated defensive situation because the locking system cannot withstand the stress.

The back cut was originally conceived for use with a fixed blade knife - actually the short sword originally and then later adapted for use with the Bowie in the very early 1800's. It's effectiveness as a technique coupled with the new (then) Bowie made the possession of this knife design outlawed as a felony in several Southern States! These laws/statues are still in effect in these states. Anyway, as a result most folders are just not up to the task. There are a few execptions, however, one of which is the Benchmade Axis Lock. Regardless of which model the Axis lock is amazingly strong. The Axis Lock has yet to fail. Most of the other "major-big name" brands have failed - with the cut compromising the folder's locking system causing the blade to potentially collapse or fold up on the user's fingers - ugly.

Many people embrace their brands and have their loyality...I generally pick function over fashion and function over brand. In this case my "big name" folding knives are now sitting in a box because the only knife I'll use everyday must be able to withstand the full rigors of everyday life including the possibilty of full-on self defense.

As always I let the mission dictate the gear and brand. Having the "latest most in vogue" knife is meaningless if it cannot perform. I determine through training what I need in a tool, then personally experiment until I settle on the knife that will accomplish the task irrespective of the brand or cost.

I realize the Benchmade Axis Lock series including the Griptillian isn't real "trendy or tactical sexy" but it is functional. Also if I have to testify in court I'm not overly concerned about a Prosecutor repeating the term "this man used a Benchmade Griptillian" to the jury as compared to " this man used a custom Johnson Combat Commando" knife! The Griptillian and other Axis lock knives are some of the most common pocket/clip type utility knives on the market. Every sportsmans store including Bi Mart carry these things. I didn't order a custom knife from my self defense but rather used a common, ordinary, utilty tool - one of which I can replace for under $100 if I lose it or surrender it to the evidence locker. The fight isn't over when the threat stops attacking...the fight is "formally" over when the criminal and civil trials are concluded. I need a tool that will defend me to the very end!

Ah, but what the heck do I know?

ofagrip.jpg

Regarding the "best of the best" folders potentially used for defense: I don't know what "highest quality" means to anyone else and I don't put a lot of stock in gun or knife rags but I'll share my own 1st hand experience with standard folding knives which generally are secondary or back up tools for self defense.

We provide defensive edge weapons training at OFA...as a result we put folding knives in particular through the ringer. Training is more than "just in the air" and more than just using "inert 'safety' training knives." We include full speed-full contact on simulated threats using live blades. We train with and use mostly folders because most people carry one or two folders for general utility work. Fixed blades while many would argue are superiour are generally not carried everyday in modern society. So we train with what we carrry. Generally folders can also provide a supporting role for handgun/long gun retention and/or solo as a defensive tool.

In our classes we have students cut a variety of things under simulated self defense conditions. We teach five basic cuts for general defense one of which is the back cut. The back cut is by far the most strenious on knives and most folder designs fail under simulated defensive situation because the locking system cannot withstand the stress.

The back cut was originally conceived for use with a fixed blade knife - actually the short sword originally and then later adapted for use with the Bowie in the very early 1800's. It's effectiveness as a technique coupled with the new (then) Bowie made the possession of this knife design outlawed as a felony in several Southern States! These laws/statues are still in effect in these states. Anyway, as a result most folders are just not up to the task. There are a few execptions, however, one of which is the Benchmade Axis Lock. Regardless of which model the Axis lock is amazingly strong. The Axis Lock has yet to fail. Most of the other "major-big name" brands have failed - with the cut compromising the folder's locking system causing the blade to potentially collapse or fold up on the user's fingers - ugly.

Many people embrace their brands and have their loyality...I generally pick function over fashion and function over brand. In this case my "big name" folding knives are now sitting in a box because the only knife I'll use everyday must be able to withstand the full rigors of everyday life including the possibilty of full-on self defense.

As always I let the mission dictate the gear and brand. Having the "latest most in vogue" knife is meaningless if it cannot perform. I determine through training what I need in a tool, then personally experiment until I settle on the knife that will accomplish the task irrespective of the brand or cost.

I realize the Benchmade Axis Lock series including the Griptillian isn't real "trendy or tactical sexy" but it is functional. Also if I have to testify in court I'm not overly concerned about a Prosecutor repeating the term "this man used a Benchmade Griptillian" to the jury as compared to " this man used a custom Johnson Combat Commando" knife! The Griptillian and other Axis lock knives are some of the most common pocket/clip type utility knives on the market. Every sportsmans store including Bi Mart carry these things. I didn't order a custom knife from my self defense but rather used a common, ordinary, utilty tool - one of which I can replace for under $100 if I lose it or surrender it to the evidence locker. The fight isn't over when the threat stops attacking...the fight is "formally" over when the criminal and civil trials are concluded. I need a tool that will defend me to the very end!

Ah, but what the heck do I know?

ofagrip.jpg

Great insight there, I just added another OFA class to my list of 'classes to attend' :s0155:

Quality steel in a good design. Are we getting that with todays blades?? Most all knives are produced in China now. Even those that are hand made are now made with chinese parts. What do we know of knife makers today that make their own steel???

jj

Jenny works for a metal distributor that won't sell Chinese steel, and Benchmade is one of their larger customers.

I simply don't know whether to <edit> or go blind. Is this knife an industrial masterpiece tool, or is it investment heirloom jewelry? Comrades, you need to examine this knife for yourselves!

I won this baby in Cam's June/July baby-naming contest, and I would never have allowed myself to spend this much on a knife otherwise. Egads, how my standards have been raised! A fine knife like this puts me in peril of becoming a Gentleman! It is the SKM/AB 8" Dark Horn and Damascus Blade Leverlock. It is found currently on the fourth page of the Bladeplay.com Sale Items category, where the photos ALMOST do it justice, for about $97.00. This knife is far more than I hoped it would be, and it is much better than described there.

In my mind this classic design is the pinnacle of pocket carry, and the perfect size to always be there and never be in the way. The curved tail cradles your little finger so the knife cannot pull forward; the slight taper prevents any pushing backward. It just will not pop out of your hand. The locking lever is its own safety and it is large enough to never fumble, yet folds flat and unobtrusively, and works equally well for left-handers like me. The lockup is rock solid both opened and closed, and when opened the blade is rock solid side-to-side as well as up-and-down. The opening action is fast and smooth, yet not so hard as to want to jump out of your hand. Lockup is utterly reliable.

Visually it is stunning! The liners, bolsters and rivets are solid brass and so flawlessly polished so that they appear to be solid yellow gold. For visual contrast, the leverlock, blade pin, and backspring are polished chrome silver---gorgeous! The dark horn scales must be seen to be appreciated: polished perfectly smooth, they resemble agate or petrified wood, a deep translucent black marbled with inner ivory grained highlights in the depths. The scales are slightly wider than the bolsters, giving more gripping surfaces for the hand. Someone might squawk that the scales do not fit the bolsters tightly and have a millimeter gap---but this is as it should be with a natural material that still expands with temperature and humidity, and literally warms to your hand.

The blade, the blade. Most of us have seen so-called "damascus" blades in catalogs. This is REAL DAMASCUS steel, and it more resembles stone to the touch. The grain is utterly fine and totally entrancing to gaze upon. Of course it came razor sharp. To test sharpness I like to hold up those flimsy postcards that fall out of magazines and slice off an edge---I had seven or eight slices flying before the first hit the floor! This blade is an heirloom and will outlive me many times. A very small and subtle "A/B Italy" logo is superbly lazer-etched onto a corner of the damascus. To me it always seems that the proudest makers have the smallest Marks.

I did not think I could afford a knife like this. Now I know I cannot afford NOT to have a knife like this! I recommend that anyone with enough good credit should just trust me and order one! At first I thought I should pack it in cosmoline and store it to bequeath to somebody as an heirloom. Then I came to my senses and realized that instead I wanted to live LONG and try to wear it out! In honor of Cam's new baby boy, I am naming this knife "Gabriel" and will have it in my pocket every day from now on.......................elsullo

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been carring a buck 110 since I was a kid holds an edge very well and seem to last forever I sent it back to buck in 2000 or so and they put a new blade on it. I also picked up a buck strider its about 3-4yrs old but it sits in second place for me. For hunting I have a buck alpha hunter with the ats-34 steel these things are great. Yes these are all Buck knives I guess they sold me on there quality years ago I have a had a few others CRKT, Spider , Boker all seemed good products but just allways go back to the Buck 110. Wish I lived in Oregon so I could have one of the push button 110 but its a no-no here in WA. I will stick with me quick draw sheath

Picture063.jpg
Picture064.jpg
Picture061.jpg
Picture062.jpg

I have been carring a buck 110 since I was a kid holds an edge very well and seem to last forever I sent it back to buck in 2000 or so and they put a new blade on it. I also picked up a buck strider its about 3-4yrs old but it sits in second place for me. For hunting I have a buck alpha hunter with the ats-34 steel these things are great. Yes these are all Buck knives I guess they sold me on there quality years ago I have a had a few others CRKT, Spider , Boker all seemed good products but just allways go back to the Buck 110. Wish I lived in Oregon so I could have one of the push button 110 but its a no-no here in WA. I will stick with me quick draw sheath

Picture063.jpg
Picture064.jpg
Picture061.jpg
Picture062.jpg

Wow, that's really cool! I've never seen a sheath like that.

hey there hotwheelz whats your price and time line to make one of those. also does anyone have any thoughts on the cold steel knives ive been using a small voyager for a few months now and realy like so far.

The Chris Reeve fixed-blade one piece knives such as the Mountaineer, Nkonka, Project, and Pacific are made in Idaho and are about as tough as they come. For non-folders they are definitely up there with the best made.

Kabar, and Ontario is all I collect. They are all mil-spec utility knives.

Oh, I forgot I bought a Glock knife from Coctailer, it looks good on my pistol belt.

For my EDC and always-knife, it is an Axis lock, (Osborne pattern by Benchmade).

If I really thought that there was something really all that superior in a folder, I would buy it and carry it, irrespective of cost. But that's me. For the average guy, the Griptillian appears to be a great buy with few compromises in important areas.....as Dan has pointed out.

For situations where I anticipate needing something superior to a EDC folder (as in hunting, for example), I carry one of the several high quality fixed-blade knives I own. In addition, of course, to the EDC Axis lock.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top