JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
As far as I know, this was my grandfather's knife in WW2, he was in the Philippines. My googling has not proven conclusive on which model is it, I thought it was a model 1 but the guard appears wrong. I don't have the original sheath, either.

Thanks!

20240309_171451.jpg 20240309_171433.jpg

Pulled this off of militarycarryknives.com. I believe you have a style 6.

"Also note that for all the WW-II period Hamden knives that have crossguards (Styles 6, 7 and 11), the crossguard material is steel. If the crossguard is brass it was done at some later time.

There are changes seen in the design and marking as the knives evolved. Knives can be found with and without serial numbers and Hamden blade stamps. Very early knives had no serial numbers. And when serial numbering started, it was done free hand with an vibrating engraver with no other marking. Later knives had both serial numbers and "John Ek Knives" done with a vibrating engraver. Then a period where stamped serial numbers were present along with "John Ek Knives" done with a vibrating engraver. And finally knives with stamped serial numbers along with blade stamps reading "John Ek KNIFE / HAMDEN, CONN." were made.

The very early knives also had smaller lead rivets. Later on the design was changed and the wood handle holes were tapered so that the poured rivets had an hour-glass shape in cross section. There are also differences in the length and shape of the extended tang. A wrist lanyard hole can be absent (early knives), be drilled through the handle (later knives) or drilled through the extended tang (rare for Hamden knives).

There is also some variation due to the different workers who made the knives. And of course users could sand down the handle to suit their preference."

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top