JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I finally had a great day healthwise so I got busy insulating & putting up the 1/4" vinyl coated wall boards (reflects mondo light)...

This is commercial Ecobatt insulation that I bought from a professional insulator. It has a high fire rating so good stuff....;)
View attachment 523058 View attachment 523059 View attachment 523060 View attachment 523061 View attachment 523062
Very nice! Are you going to install an overhead air hose? Love mine it really comes in handy. I have a 90 gallon tank outside the shop but a good portable could be plugged in easy enough outside. Less noisy that way;).

Well I am going to be at a point next week to where I need to start building my reload/gun assy benches and my desk area.
I'm undecided on the height of the reloading bench, since I will be sitting and standing I'm thinking it should be at the minimum be geared towards standing. I can always get an adjustable stool or drafting chair.
So is a 40" bench height "2 tall Jones"?:D
I'm 6' tall.

Well I am going to be at a point next week to where I need to start building my reload/gun assy benches and my desk area.
I'm undecided on the height of the reloading bench, since I will be sitting and standing I'm thinking it should be at the minimum be geared towards standing. I can always get an adjustable stool or drafting chair.
So is a 40" bench height "2 tall Jones"?:D
I'm 6' tall.
You really need to clamp the press to stable and stand at it working the handle to know what height. I did this prior to building the benches in my reloading area.

Jim; The Air Hoses: You might want to put a pressure regulator into one of the lines so you can reduce the pressure. That can be very handy when cleaning a gun or just using air to dry a few cases after tumbling them. Mike

You really need to clamp the press to stable and stand at it working the handle to know what height. I did this prior to building the benches in my reloading area.

I may have answered my own question (with a little help from a friendly reminder)...
Last year I drew up some plans for a few risers, I'll try to get the SIL to commit to building them for me.:D

for my own bench I use the 'sitting' method which works perfect. The tool head is below my line of vision far enough I can look right down into pistol cartridges as they move from station 2 to 3 to 4 and I can monitor or measure any spec I want.

I think my bench height is around 31" but yours may well vary to some other figure.

I tried the stand-up set up long ago & it didn't work well for my needs.

Good luck, this is a crucial phase of your design process.

;)

Jim; The Air Hoses: You might want to put a pressure regulator into one of the lines so you can reduce the pressure. That can be very handy when cleaning a gun or just using air to dry a few cases after tumbling them. Mike

I had one setup close to the compressor years ago when I was painting but removed it when it developed a leak years later.
I'll run a dedicated branch in there & get a better one this time.
Thanks Mike.;)

for my own bench I use the 'sitting' method which works perfect. The tool head is below my line of vision far enough I can look right down into pistol cartridges as they move from station 2 to 3 to 4 and I can monitor or measure any spec I want.

I think my bench height is around 31" but yours may well vary to some other figure.

I tried the stand-up set up long ago & it didn't work well for my needs.

Good luck, this is a crucial phase of your design process.

;)

I can sit nor stand for long periods at a time so must be able to move about.

Last Edited:
Consider the full length of the throw for your reloading machine
I had a Super 1050 on a 36 inch high bench in my old shed. I'm 6'1" and that was the right height for that but the 650 needed to be on a strong mount lifted up by 6 washers to get good clearance for the arm.
YMMV
Good luck

I finally found the right height for the reloading bench by pulling one of the drawers out on the Craftsman tool box. I layed a piece of T-board across it & sat on my stool while measuring the pull on the press. I'm thinking stting or standing at 39 inches will be comfortable.
Before the final nail up I'll check it with the presses mounted.;)

Now granted I have built a few structures but I am not a home builder so
I do not know how an insulated room will fare being built pretty air tight... I know there will be some air seepage at the door but will that keep the room from being stagnant? I don't want it to get moldy in there...
It will be heated 24/7 in the fall, winter & springtime but worry that there is no real cold air return like a house....
Thoughts.

I forgot if you mentioned what kind of heat Jim? You could put a vent right behind your heat source and another in the celing. You can also put a dehumidifier in there to keep the moisture down in the winter and spring. Mine seems to work quite well.

I'm going to have a midsize convection heater, similar to what we use in our house.
I like the idea of a dehumidifier since all my walls are insulated and closed up tight. I bought stock in latex caulking and spray foam for this project. LOL it is sealed tighter than a gnat's azz stretched over a rain barrel.:eek::eek::eek::p

Last Edited:
Been on hold for a while but got the flooring in and now waiting on the safe to be delivered. 20190117_121118.jpg

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top