JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Howdy guys, the next step in Old cavemans life is to design and build my dedicated reloading/gun room.
I've got it drawn out on graph paper to the inch and have a few questions about the flooring.

20180910_231448.jpg

EDIT...

20181120_235638.jpg

1) Vinyl, engineered hardwood or carpet.

Since it's going to be in my shop it has a concrete floor and I know how cold concrete is so I'm wondering what would be the best Avenue to go with a flooring system.

I did receive 3 boxes of engineered flooring and will have to buy at least one more to finish the 96 square foot room.

Anyways just touching bases with those out there that have enclosed a garage space just for reloading and what did you do with the flooring, leave it bare concrete or put in a subfloor.

As always thanks again for your expert knowledge, wisdom and tomfoolery during my build.;):p:p

Last Edited:
Jim, I'd go with the engineered flooring and ad some of the rubber matting directly in front of the bench. Do NOT use any carpet! It may be nice to walk on but it will also be a great hiding place for dropped screws and other small parts. Good Luck. Mike

Well, I'm the odd guy out, I'm carpeted. If I were to do it again, I'd go plain concrete with commercial grade rubber mats... Now having said that...

Vacuuming spilled powder can be trickey and a bit dangerous. Vacuuming dropped shot is just plain noisey and annoying... Dropped primers are picked up by hand... Unless of course they're spent primers and then they're treated same as shot, just vacuumed up...

You also need to purchase a Magnetic Broom and a high quality, but small, Shop Vac. Plan on having lots of shelves that aren't too deep. A Metal, lockable, Cabinet for powder is also a plus.:)

1. I have very tight loop knap carpet on my floor. My chair rolls over it easily, it quiets the room and makes it more comfortable when I'm barefooted (a lot).
  2. Stuff dropped that I care about is easily picked up by my magnetic separator that I use for my tumbling pins.
  3. For the spent primers that fall out (out of hundreds decapped, there will be a dozen at least that hit the floor), I use broom to sweep them up.
  4. Both my dog and cat like laying near me on the floor when I'm reloading, don't think that would be the case if it were concrete.
The best reloading setup has great feng shui. Looking at how you block your entry, I think you could rearrange more with your paper dolls.
Also think, the safe is too crowded.

Happy to come up and lend a hand, would be available late October.
On vacuums, I have a great small shop vac, a hand held dust buster, a Sears cannister type, and a Dyson Cyclone Ball that I picked up at Goodwill.
I use the Dyson almost exclusively.

You have a fun situation. Envy and stuff. Lots of times the planning is as fun as the doing. Can you make your man cave multi use? I have a spare bedroom that is being turned into the guy room. Only there may be room in my case for the necessary Bo Flex Extreme exercise machine and the electronical exercise bicycle.

Yep ... on cold hard concrete try to consider soft industrial mats. Consider positive ventilation for bullet casting fun. Consider lots of power outlets to run the necessary big fans if exercising. Lots of ceiling and directed soft lighting. A good sound system. Most of all just have fun designing all of this good stuff. Much fun indeed!:)

Jim, have you looked into a heated floor addition under the engineered wood? I'm some what of a wiz at this, having done a few of them and learned from a Pro Contractor ( my Brother) the heated inserts replace the matting and do the same thing, while maintaining heat! I also like the rubberised floor space under the benches, you can do that a few different ways, you can pour it like thin set, or you can buy it pre made and cut it to fit your needs! I like to pour it and use schluter to build the transition which looks nice and works to keep small things contained to that area! Clean up is super easy, and your feet will be happy!

1. I have very tight loop knap carpet on my floor. My chair rolls over it easily, it quiets the room and makes it more comfortable when I'm barefooted (a lot).
  2. Stuff dropped that I care about is easily picked up by my magnetic separator that I use for my tumbling pins.
  3. For the spent primers that fall out (out of hundreds decapped, there will be a dozen at least that hit the floor), I use broom to sweep them up.
  4. Both my dog and cat like laying near me on the floor when I'm reloading, don't think that would be the case if it were concrete.
The best reloading setup has great feng shui. Looking at how you block your entry, I think you could rearrange more with your paper dolls.
Also think, the safe is too crowded.

Happy to come up and lend a hand, would be available late October.
On vacuums, I have a great small shop vac, a hand held dust buster, a Sears cannister type, and a Dyson Cyclone Ball that I picked up at Goodwill.
I use the Dyson almost exclusively.

That was one option that I rushed to scramble things together, not the final option.
I have decided against carpet and going to go engineered (fake) flooring with rubber mats.

Thanks for the honest tips guys.;)

Last Edited:
You also need to purchase a Magnetic Broom and a high quality, but small, Shop Vac. Plan on having lots of shelves that aren't too deep. A Metal, lockable, Cabinet for powder is also a plus.:)

Good ideas Mike, I have a shopvac & going to put a pipe through the wall so I won't hear the screaming & just plug in a hose for cleanups.
I already have two 3'x6' lockable metal cabinets filled to the brim with reloading supplies so good there.
20180228_171747.jpg
20180808_102309.jpg
I also have 2) 36x36 upper metal cabinets and a 4 drawer lateral filing cabinet to store build parts.
I'm going to have to see if it all fits first, if not stuff will be locked just outside.;)

Last Edited:
Jim, have you looked into a heated floor addition under the engineered wood? I'm some what of a wiz at this, having done a few of them and learned from a Pro Contractor ( my Brother) the heated inserts replace the matting and do the same thing, while maintaining heat! I also like the rubberised floor space under the benches, you can do that a few different ways, you can pour it like thin set, or you can buy it pre made and cut it to fit your needs! I like to pour it and use schluter to build the transition which looks nice and works to keep small things contained to that area! Clean up is super easy, and your feet will be happy!

Thanks for mentioning that Rusty, I'm going to check that out!
I have a heater with a thermostat that I'm hoping will keep it around 55-58° during the winter months and a heated floor will help.

Lessons I learned doing my room.

1: standing height bench should be no more than 24" deep. Slight downslope towards the wall. Comfortable to reach wall and whatever may be there.

2: 4x4 posts & leading edge

3: brackets used to hang everything and solidly mounted & secured.

4: when I extend the bench next go round it will be sitting height. I don't mind standing but I also don't mind sitting.

5: power outlets on front of bench. Keep in mind my bench is mounted to wall and floor... it's going nowhere.

6: whiteboards

7: LED lighting. Softer light, produces no real heat compared to others. Need spot lamps as well.

My dog lays near me on the floor. It's concrete but has vinyl flooring on top. He don't care. Stays nice and cool.

Lessons I learned doing my room.

1: standing height bench should be no more than 24" deep. Slight downslope towards the wall. Comfortable to reach wall and whatever may be there.

2: 4x4 posts & leading edge

3: brackets used to hang everything and solidly mounted & secured.

4: when I extend the bench next go round it will be sitting height. I don't mind standing but I also don't mind sitting.

5: power outlets on front of bench. Keep in mind my bench is mounted to wall and floor... it's going nowhere.

6: whiteboards

7: LED lighting. Softer light, produces no real heat compared to others. Need spot lamps as well.

My dog lays near me on the floor. It's concrete but has vinyl flooring on top. He don't care. Stays nice and cool.

All good ideas mentioned there Dyj, I will be returning to your post once I'm at that stage of construction.;););)

Now for the next question since I have my bench and desk already built, what type of lighting should I incorporate into a reloading/gun room?
I hear LED (the latest and greatest and most expensive, a lot).
I have some fairly new 8-foot, 2 bulb fluorescent lights, will that be over powering, maybe too bright with white walls and bench?

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews