JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The build is going slowly by surely.
Since the gremlins have expanded it by 2 feet to a 10'x12', I had to relocate the shop light switches.
20181019_160308_001.jpg

20181021_162808.jpg

We got the long wall up and it squared just right, like I knew what I was doin.:D

20181021_180650.jpg

More to follow...

Jim; I do hope you are planning to insolate the room. It will help keep the moisture from getting too high and will make heating much less costly. It does look nice. Mike

Great progress Caveman... Understanding it started out a bench and is now a room, just be glad it hasn't become a complete workshop. These things have a tendency to snowball...

:eek:

I know, just after constructing the first wall it grew two feet and required the move of two electrical switches!!!
:eek::eek::eek:

Carpet does suck for a reloading room.
I've tried it.
Could be entertaining when the wife comes through with the vacuum picking up live primers, though.

:D

This is my Cave & the wife has agreed to not come in and rearrange or clean it, EVER...:p

great project. I started with my own new Reloading Chamber in July.

Just yesterday I got almost to where my press is ready for action in the next day or 2.

That's when I should have started mine that way I could be fishing this whole month.:oops::oops::oops:

Jim; I do hope you are planning to insolate the room. It will help keep the moisture from getting too high and will make heating much less costly. It does look nice. Mike

Mike this is one of my reasons for building a dedicated room for reloading and gun construction out in the shop.
I got tired of having to build a fire in the wood stove every time I wanted to go out and reload.
I'll have a heater with a thermostat during the winter months and a room air conditioner on wheels during the hot summer.;)

Last Edited:
One of the surprises in my own project, is after putting up with something 'temporary' over the last 30 years, how much debris & unessential stuff was tucked away, forgotten or from long completed/abandoned projects, or otherwise clogging up my pristine organization!

What I've been otherwise unable to sell/give away/end up actually throwing away (!!!) is rather like a psychic diet making focus on my 'good stuff' so much easier.

It had been decades since doing any actual wiring. Laying in a half-dozen new outlets & associated tasks took the better part of 2 weeks.....thankfully after spending a WHOLE DAY on the first 2 boxes a couple forgotten tricks refreshed memory & it was far easier after that.

Cheers to your project Caveman;).

Jim; Hopefully, you have enough space in your breaker box to put in about three(3) 20amp circuits. I'd put in all the outlets at about 4 feet above the floor with about 6 feet between and make them all with 4 outlets in each box and put them on all 4 walls. You need to make sure you use heavy enough wire - I'd recommend 10ga.

Again, Good Luck.

One of the surprises in my own project, is after putting up with something 'temporary' over the last 30 years, how much debris & unessential stuff was tucked away, forgotten or from long completed/abandoned projects, or otherwise clogging up my pristine organization!

What I've been otherwise unable to sell/give away/end up actually throwing away (!!!) is rather like a psychic diet making focus on my 'good stuff' so much easier.

It had been decades since doing any actual wiring. Laying in a half-dozen new outlets & associated tasks took the better part of 2 weeks.....thankfully after spending a WHOLE DAY on the first 2 boxes a couple forgotten tricks refreshed memory & it was far easier after that.

Cheers to your project Caveman;).

When I built my shop in 2001, that was the first major undertaking with electrical work.
Taking a lot of experience with wire working in the telephone contracting field helped because the inspector aske which contractor I had to do the work.... he was shocked when I said none, I did it myself...:D

Jim; Hopefully, you have enough space in your breaker box to put in about three(3) 20amp circuits. I'd put in all the outlets at about 4 feet above the floor with about 6 feet between and make them all with 4 outlets in each box and put them on all 4 walls. You need to make sure you use heavy enough wire - I'd recommend 10ga.

Again, Good Luck.

Thanks for the tips Mike. The way I have it designed the West wall will be lined with wall lockers so no outlets will be needed. There is one existing 4 outlet on the North wall and a new 2 outlet (with the light switch) on the South wall on that side of the room.
Going with the spec when built that conduit be used below 8'.
I used the 12g Romex that I've had on hand for a few years.;)
20181102_131954.jpg 20181102_134145.jpg

Every time I sit down at my reloading station, I think about threads like this. I wouldn't change a thing about my set-up... Caveman Jim, I hope yours turn out to be everything you want. Build it right the first time and you'll have no regrets. If you are like me, you'll spend a lot of time there. Good luck with it...

Every time I sit down at my reloading station, I think about threads like this. I wouldn't change a thing about my set-up... Caveman Jim, I hope yours turn out to be everything you want. Build it right the first time and you'll have no regrets. If you are like me, you'll spend a lot of time there. Good luck with it...

Thanks for the encouragement.;)
I'm treating this as a bucket list item because I don't know how long I have on this rock. I want to enjoy my time doing what I love (besides fishing).:p
It's funny that I have my boat set up just the way I want it & wouldn't change much (taller top maybe). :D:D:D

All electrical is completed & tested.
No problems although I added another outlet on a different circuit.:cool:

20181104_135152.jpg
20181104_135049.jpg
Ready to get the insulation and the inside sheathing on the walls and ceiling
I'm going to seal every orifice with spray foam and caulk all inner and outer seams in the sheathing and plywood. I'm wanting this thing to stay at a near constant temperature in the winter.

Thanks for coming along on my journey with this project.;)

Jim; It's looking great! I see you went with the fourplex outlets. Now you need to make sure they are insulated. It's crazy how much heat can be lost without the little piece of foam. Mike:)

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top