JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a 17x19 out building to use as my man cave. Its framed with clapboard siding. I am trying to figure out how to insulate it. I have been told yo take down the clapboard and lay tar paper / tyvek underneath the clapboard. I am not sure how to proceed - any recommendations. Once that is done I can run electricity and do the dry walking. Thoughts?

The explosion will be less likely and less severe if contained in a wooden cabinet vs a sealed metal container.

I believe it's actually law on how bulk powder is to be stored.

Actually, a bit of clarification. There is no law concerning how consumers with less than 50lbs (something like that) store explosives and propellants, but the law being mentioned generally applies to commercial applications. That said, it's still a wise thing to know and try to adhere to because it's the smart thing to do.

Actually, a bit of clarification. There is no law concerning how consumers with less than 50lbs (something like that) store explosives and propellants, but the law being mentioned generally applies to commercial applications. That said, it's still a wise thing to know and try to adhere to because it's the smart thing to do.
Some people have more than 50 lbs :D

What a nice luxury to have a dedicated space to devote to reloading. I've lived in the same place for 31 years, still trying to get fully organized. I'm okay, know where everything is but it isn't laid out in a particularly logical plan. Lately, I find myself shying away from centralizing and consolidating all things in the same place for reasons of security. Eggs all in one basket thing. My wife has started to question the rationality of my thought processes, wondered if I was going paranoid. I've assured here that such isn't the case, that I'm just being security conscious.

Floor covering for reloading areas. I have concrete overlaid with rubber anti-fatigue mats. I load standing. Carpet, I wouldn't do it. I've read a couple of stories about guys who had carpeted floors in their reloading areas. Over time, powder built up, filtered down in the the nap, somehow or another a spark got into the carpet and it went up in a big whoosh. Some thought should be given to fire hazard. Also, some reloading manuals over the years have advised against cleaning up spilled powder with a typical electric vacuum cleaner. These days, most vacuum cleaners use an indirect suction method. That is, the motor is in a separate chamber that creates vacuum in the dust compartment. Theoretically isolating motor brush/commutator sparks from any flammables. However, there is nearly always some blow-by of vacuum particulates (however small the amount) that stream through the motor and ignition is still possible. Just not very likely. A hard surface is more easily swept than a carpet.

Sidebar re. carpet vs. hard floors. These days, wall-to-wall carpet is falling out of favor, more homes are being built with hard floors of various kinds. All well and good, people have choices. Personally, I don't like echo in rooms so I favor carpet. Also, in cooler climates you get a bit of added insulation on the floors with pad and carpet. Now here is a bigger deal for me. As what my health care provider now considers me, an elder. There are tangible benefits from wall-to-wall carpet in that respect. It's an easier surface for an elder when they fall. Think elder safety, like grab bars in your shower. Which I don't have yet but I'm being bugged about them.

If you build a loading bench, it's a good idea to use a top design that incorporates an edge. Lots of hand loading gear needs to be bolted or clamped down in such a manner as to allow the mechanism to work, like compound leverage actions of presses. These days, a few of my devices are bolted down, but many are bolted to a length of 2x6 which I then may clamp onto a bench edge. This way it doesn't have to be a more permanent installation that takes up space even when it's not being used. Even if you do want to bolt an item down, it's easier to bolt it through a (nominal) 2 inch plank than the same plank underlaid with a 4x4, just saying.

Lately, I was looking at these rolling steel work benches that are sold at Home Depot, heavy, have tons of drawers, hefty hardwood top. First glance, "Gee, that would be great for loading." Second thought, "But it's on wheels, what happens when I really have to apply leverage on a press?" And no overhanging edge on the bench top that I referred to in the paragraph above. If you can swing it, permanently attached to a wall is preferred, I'd think.

Back to security. It's great to have cameras, alarms, etc. But to cover yourself, think about insurance if you don't already have it. Many of us have a significant outlay of money in our stuff. Don't overlook hand loading equipment and ammo for insurance purposes. And, it's a pain in the butt but document what you've got. It's difficult to present a claim if you can't quantify your losses. Take pictures, nobody keeps receipts for every bullet they've ever bought. Powder, use your good judgement about this when it comes to insurance situations. Don't store it so it might potentially be reported in a claim in such a way that it demonstrates a quantity in excess of what's acceptable to insurance administrators. If you've got 2x amount of powder, store X of it in one place, the other X of it in another place. Remember, it's worth about $25 a pound replacement cost. It all adds up.

I have a 17x19 out building to use as my man cave. Its framed with clapboard siding. I am trying to figure out how to insulate it. I have been told yo take down the clapboard and lay tar paper / tyvek underneath the clapboard. I am not sure how to proceed - any recommendations. Once that is done I can run electricity and do the dry walking. Thoughts?
That'd suck having to remove that old lap board and then reinstall it. There's a lot of old buildings built just like that.
I'd call like the Home Depot contractor help desk and pose that question to them, telling them to what degree it'll be heated and occupied etc.. hopefully something like rigid aluminized foam could be used without removing the siding.
Good luck.

What a nice luxury to have a dedicated space to devote to reloading. I've lived in the same place for 31 years, still trying to get fully organized. I'm okay, know where everything is but it isn't laid out in a particularly logical plan. Lately, I find myself shying away from centralizing and consolidating all things in the same place for reasons of security. Eggs all in one basket thing. My wife has started to question the rationality of my thought processes, wondered if I was going paranoid. I've assured here that such isn't the case, that I'm just being security conscious.

My wife already thinks I've lost it by building a man-cave inside of a huge MAN-CAVE (30'x48' pole building, self built) but it keeps me out of her hair & her out of what I have left up top so it is tolerated...:D

Floor covering for reloading areas. I have concrete overlaid with rubber anti-fatigue mats. I load standing. Carpet, I wouldn't do it. I've read a couple of stories about guys who had carpeted floors in their reloading areas. Over time, powder built up, filtered down in the the nap, somehow or another a spark got into the carpet and it went up in a big whoosh. Some thought should be given to fire hazard. Also, some reloading manuals over the years have advised against cleaning up spilled powder with a typical electric vacuum cleaner. These days, most vacuum cleaners use an indirect suction method. That is, the motor is in a separate chamber that creates vacuum in the dust compartment. Theoretically isolating motor brush/commutator sparks from any flammables. However, there is nearly always some blow-by of vacuum particulates (however small the amount) that stream through the motor and ignition is still possible. Just not very likely. A hard surface is more easily swept than a carpet.

I will use the anti fatigue mats on top of the engineered flooring and use a broom to clean up like I do now. I was toying with putting a piece of conduit to accommodate the shop-vac in the room but will see if it comes to fruition. :)

Sidebar re. carpet vs. hard floors. These days, wall-to-wall carpet is falling out of favor, more homes are being built with hard floors of various kinds. All well and good, people have choices. Personally, I don't like echo in rooms so I favor carpet. Also, in cooler climates you get a bit of added insulation on the floors with pad and carpet. Now here is a bigger deal for me. As what my health care provider now considers me, an elder. There are tangible benefits from wall-to-wall carpet in that respect. It's an easier surface for an elder when they fall. Think elder safety, like grab bars in your shower. Which I don't have yet but I'm being bugged about them.

I am not there yet, only 60 at the present moment but I'm on the lookout for that dang gremlin that keeps throwing more numbers on my birth date willie nillie...:eek::eek::eek::D

If you build a loading bench, it's a good idea to use a top design that incorporates an edge. Lots of hand loading gear needs to be bolted or clamped down in such a manner as to allow the mechanism to work, like compound leverage actions of presses. These days, a few of my devices are bolted down, but many are bolted to a length of 2x6 which I then may clamp onto a bench edge. This way it doesn't have to be a more permanent installation that takes up space even when it's not being used. Even if you do want to bolt an item down, it's easier to bolt it through a (nominal) 2 inch plank than the same plank underlaid with a 4x4, just saying.

I am a lifelong woodworker and build stuff to last a looonnnnnggggggggg time. Designing is my forte when it comes to building a bench, room or shop for that matter.

Lately, I was looking at these rolling steel work benches that are sold at Home Depot, heavy, have tons of drawers, hefty hardwood top. First glance, "Gee, that would be great for loading." Second thought, "But it's on wheels, what happens when I really have to apply leverage on a press?" And no overhanging edge on the bench top that I referred to in the paragraph above. If you can swing it, permanently attached to a wall is preferred, I'd think.

I like these rolling cabinets for my tools but would not use one to mount a vice or a press.

Back to security. It's great to have cameras, alarms, etc. But to cover yourself, think about insurance if you don't already have it. Many of us have a significant outlay of money in our stuff. Don't overlook hand loading equipment and ammo for insurance purposes. And, it's a pain in the butt but document what you've got. It's difficult to present a claim if you can't quantify your losses. Take pictures, nobody keeps receipts for every bullet they've ever bought. Powder, use your good judgement about this when it comes to insurance situations. Don't store it so it might potentially be reported in a claim in such a way that it demonstrates a quantity in excess of what's acceptable to insurance administrators. If you've got 2x amount of powder, store X of it in one place, the other X of it in another place. Remember, it's worth about $25 a pound replacement cost. It all adds up.

I will be installing a security camera system in and around the house & shop.;)

Thanks for taking the time to enlighten me on this project.;)

As to age, we're all getting there. I don't know anyone going in reverse. Poor old Ponce de Leon, I know why he was looking for the fountain of youth.

A good friend of mine that I used to work with years ago slipped on the cuff of her pyjamas and fell. She broke her femur right clean through. She lives alone, took her 45 minutes to crawl over to a table where her phone was recharging. More to the story, but as a result I've quit mocking those, "Help, I've fallen and can't get up" commercials on TV. I used to say all sorts of unkind words to the unhearing actor on TV. No longer. Maybe one of those emergency thingies on a string around an elder's neck isn't such a bad idea. My mother waited until she was 95 to get one, though.

I'm not a carpenter, that would be presumptuous of me to say so. However, I'm capable of some wood working projects. I have two work benches in my garage. No, I'm not gonna call it anything else. It drives me nuts when people put a table saw in their garage and it becomes their "shop." My garage is under a heated space in the house, so you might say it's semi-heated. One of my benches is for dirty work. When I used to do lots of automotive work, that's where I rebuilt carburetors, starters, generators, alternators, driveshafts (two large vises in series) and so forth. It doesn't see much of that anymore. I built it circa 1975, made it from 2x10 planks and 4x4 posts with 2x6 bracing. It's pretty sturdy and takes three boys and a mule to move it. My other bench is the "clean bench" for things like reloading, electronics, etc. It was in the garage when I moved here, it's made of 4x4 posts, a solid door overlaid with formica, and 2x4 bracing. It's affixed to a wall whereas my "dirty" bench is free standing.

I'm phasing out of a small business that I do out of my home. Started about nine years ago, it's run its course and the stuff related to that which has been stored in the garage is going away. The freed-up space I'm giving over to a reorganization plan. I intend to rearrange my reloading stuff logically and functionally. I've got it laid out well enough now for me to work with, but part of reorganizing it is the challenge of improvement. Still, for reasons of security, I'm not going to have it all in one place. For example, if I have 4,000 bullets in .308, they don't even need to be all in one place because it's unlikely that I'm going to use them up all at once. I can keep 1,000 nearby, the rest somewhere else. That kind of thing.

I have another two benches available, one in an indoor downstairs room adjacent to the garage. This was a bench I used for the small business that is winding down. I have a fourth bench outside which I use for just about anything so long as the weather is good. That includes bullet casting, which I never do indoors. I have power sources to all of these work benches.

[QUOTE I've got it laid out well enough now for me to work with, but part of reorganizing it is the challenge of improvement. Still, for reasons of security, I'm not going to have it all in one place. For example, if I have 4,000 bullets in .308, they don't even need to be all in one place because it's unlikely that I'm going to use them up all at once. I can keep 1,000 nearby, the rest somewhere else. That kind of thing. [/QUOTE]

With age I am becoming much more forgetful. Therefore I have been putting all my eggs in one basket rather than in different baskets. Now if I can just remember where I put that damn basket.:confused:

Jim just saw this thread. If you need flooring let me know how much you need. I might be able to donate some to you. Like a wood look vinyl plank.

Thanks buddy, I do appreciate that.
I have 3 boxes of this stuff and would need to get a few more. Funny that I got this in a PIF on another gun forum...:p
I have no knowledge if it is good stuff or....

20181018_190148.jpg

And for those of you that are following this project be careful if you decide to do the same.... mine grew into a 10'x12' room overnight!!!:eek::eek::eek:
Damn gremlins.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

...And for those of you that are following this project be careful if you decide to do the same.... mine grew into a 10'x12' room overnight!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Not strictly reloading related, but pure convenience: do you have a bathroom out in the pole barn? If not, see if you can't do a urinal. My dad had one put in the garage/shop of there last house and there current, along with decent utility sinks.

Thanks buddy, I do appreciate that.
I have 3 boxes of this stuff and would need to get a few more. Funny that I got this in a PIF on another gun forum...:p
I have no knowledge if it is good stuff or....

View attachment 510079

And for those of you that are following this project be careful if you decide to do the same.... mine grew into a 10'x12' room overnight!!!:eek::eek::eek:

I won't have anything that will match up to that brother. Let me know what your short and I will see what I can come up with.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top