JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Can a deputy (but not you even if you have a CHL or TLC) enter a Post Office armed?

I don't know, but I doubt it's Federally legal, though in small towns the local P.O. folks will probably say nothing with a wink and a nod...

Fact is, there are places armed LEO's must disarm before entering. Prisons, county jails, psyche wards to name a few.

Some here are outraged that's the case, thinking LE enjoys total carte blanche when it comes to being armed anywhere and everywhere they go. Others like me understand even LEO's have some restrictions when it comes to being armed.

Lest you think I'm anti-LEO, I'm not. I'm very pro-LEO, but no matter what you think is fair, or the law in these matters is wrong, ok, but that doesn't change the fact LE 'doesn't' enjoy being armed carte blanche everywhere .

They simply don't...

The real question is why are IRS and Social Security offices protected by arms

D,

Perhaps, the irs and ss know they p.o. people at a much higher rate than other entities which in turn may bring out the 'crazy' at a severely high enough rate they be scared...or they consider themselves 'aristocracy' - take your pick.

Yep. Elitism at its finest. The folks that support and enforce gun-free areas don't like it when they're told to disarm also.

Last Edited:
Can a deputy (but not you even if you have a CHL or TLC) enter a Post Office armed?

I don't know, but I doubt it's Federally legal, though in small towns the local P.O. folks will probably say nothing with a wink and a nod...

Fact is, there are places armed LEO's must disarm before entering. Prisons, county jails, psyche wards to name a few.

Some here are outraged that's the case, thinking LE enjoys total carte blanche when it comes to being armed anywhere and everywhere they go. Others like me understand even LEO's have some restrictions when it comes to being armed.

Lest you think I'm anti-LEO, I'm not. I'm very pro-LEO, but no matter what you think is fair, or the law in these matters is wrong, ok, but that doesn't change the fact LE 'doesn't' enjoy being armed carte blanche everywhere .

They simply don't...
Regarding post offices, I still carry, just don't tell them... o_O

Technically the deputy should have disarmed, however, I don't believe in leaving one's firearm unattended in a vehicle. They should have a check in for law enforcement firearms since it's pretty common knowledge that any enforcement is going to have a firearm on them if they visit a Federal building. All this speaks to me is just how disorganized our government really is and the ensuing conflict of authority could have easily cost someone or several people their lives.

This.

Why does that second statement remind me of the VA... ee-gads!

???

While sound would be nice, after watching it a few times the body language of the idiot was all I needed to see to not be surprised the Guard is being charged with a crime. The LEO is trying to leave, Barney has his gun out and is then trying to stop the LEO with gun in hand. This is a great way to have a disastrous accidental discharge. If the building was being guarded by Federal Cops I would hope you would not see this kind of show. If Barney told the LEO he could not carry and LEO told him to F off even, then call 911 and tell them some guy dressed as a Cop, is refusing to follow my authority. When guy dressed as a Cop is leaving? Let him go. It is amazing he did not touch off a round. It is also amazing to me that some want to defend Barney.

If he can't come in armed, OK. But I would have let him leave. Discretion and all that... Rather than assuming he was a psycho killer on the loose. Arresting an armed officer just doesn't make much sense. If the deputy gave me some sh!t, I would have given it back. If things got too heated, call higher ups for direction, or the deputies super or even dispatch... dispatch may have been able to get somebody to diffuse the situation. Blind enforcement and use of power to detain w/o discretion can't be good. I don't care what the boss says.

I have carried a pocketknife on my belt or pocket for most of the past 40 years. My grandfather carried one, my Dad carried one as did I, mostly for work. But like my watch I feel a bit naked without it. Went into the local Social Security office and left my gun in the car safe. Sitting and talking with the guy at the counter the guard came up behind me and began to belligerently berate me about the 3" folder in a belt case. Actually stood there with his hand on his pistol! Since I was finished anyway I just stood up to leave. He just glared at me like I was an ordinary citizen (a POS to him).

As if a SS office isn't already a depressing place to go and spend 2+ hours in!!!

I had the same experience years ago in a county office and didn't think I was going to get out of there w/o being arrested.... Ooops! :oops:

I was shocked the first time I went to SS office. Whoa!!! Spooky feeling to have an armed guard there...

Better yet, either abide by the Second Amendment or provide a lockers/iron-check area for EVERYONE. Do remember, Hoover at standing up the FBI was asked what gave him the
This.

???

If he can't come in armed, OK. But I would have let him leave. Discretion and all that... Rather than assuming he was a psycho killer on the loose. Arresting an armed officer just doesn't make much sense. If the deputy gave me some sh!t, I would have given it back. If things got too heated, call higher ups for direction, or the deputies super or even dispatch... dispatch may have been able to get somebody to diffuse the situation. Blind enforcement and use of power to detain w/o discretion can't be good. I don't care what the boss says.

I had the same experience years ago in a county office and didn't think I was going to get out of there w/o being arrested.... Ooops! :oops:

I was shocked the first time I went to SS office. Whoa!!! Spooky feeling to have an armed guard there...
Yep, I remember going in there to get my wife's last name changed over and I had to pull out my leatherman to have him measure the knife. He was pretty nice but I'm just thinking about what they could possibly expect in there. I guess you never know.

Seems a little thin skinned from someone who works in a job where they regularly point guns at people.

While the reaction by the guard was extreme, even I know weapons are not allowed on Federal property- it's well posted outside. As he was not there on official business, that rule would apply equally to Gaston.

So he was committing a federal offense that comes with a fine and one year in prison. And then resisted arrest when the guard tried to detain him. It ultimately went his way because he's a cop and professional courtesy, yadda yadda. He was still breaking the law. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.
See, you forgot to read the whole statute. You left out:

(d)Subsection (a) shall not apply to—

(3)
the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful purposes.

Other lawful purposes including, by case law at the highest levels, self-defense. It can be argued that paragraph (3) is an exception for everyone lawfully carrying.

They simply don't...

You can't have a GUN on your body, open carry or concealed carry, in a purse or briefcase, and/or ON the USPO parking lot even if you put your gun in a locked box or lock up your vehicle according to their laws. It does not matter if you are in a small or large city or in a village. And the PO employees will not give you a nod or a wink even in a small VILLAGE IN BFE (Bum - Egypt.).

I have read and heard that you can mail a long gun - rifle or shotgun through the US MAIL with special types of mail.

I do not know jack squat about that issue when it comes to the US MAIL. I never did it.

I or we used a FFL to mail something to another person to their FFL when it came to a recent rifle gift. We used a well known FFL dealer - store here and I sent it to my former FFL dealer - store, back east, where I bought about 15 or so guns in that one store alone.

I accidently hit something and this PARTIAL post went ON the forum before I was done.

There are many places where peace officers have to DISARM EVEN IF THEY ARE ON DUTY not just OFF DUTY.

I respect peace officers too. There are good and bad people in ALL professions.

Take care.

Cate
Typos!

Last Edited:

Because they demand it and because they can do this with FEDERAL approval!

Just like all of the other people and places with taxpayer paid or private paid security forces.

It is because they FEAR the general population and not just the criminals or so called crazy criminals.

Cate

Because we live in a world of active shooters, which admittedly is just as likely to be a mall cop, and identity theft.
I wouldn't be comfortable with all of my tax records and social security number laid out for whomever to take unopposed.

I'm glad they charged the mall cop with this, seeing more video footage makes that case for me. It's iffy from the original snippet, but stopping the officer from leaving while telling him to leave is ridiculous. Either you put them in custody or let them go. Mall cop sure made a name for himself alright!

I'm glad they charged the mall cop with this, seeing more video footage makes that case for me. It's iffy from the original snippet, but stopping the officer from leaving while telling him to leave is ridiculous. Either you put them in custody or let them go. Mall cop sure made a name for himself alright!

He panicked.

I have carried a pocketknife on my belt or pocket for most of the past 40 years. My grandfather carried one, my Dad carried one as did I, mostly for work. But like my watch I feel a bit naked without it. Went into the local Social Security office and left my gun in the car safe. Sitting and talking with the guy at the counter the guard came up behind me and began to belligerently berate me about the 3" folder in a belt case. Actually stood there with his hand on his pistol! Since I was finished anyway I just stood up to leave. He just glared at me like I was an ordinary citizen (a POS to him).

As if a SS office isn't already a depressing place to go and spend 2+ hours in!!!

Reminds me of the time before we got custody of my daughter.
So there I was in the Social Security Office...I needed to get my daughters SS number...
Two guards are there a metal detector and a x-ray machine...

So knowing where I was going , I , being the smart man that I am left my gun at home...but I did being as usual a pocket knife.

I empty my pockets , keys , coins , belt in the box to go through the x-ray when the young guard comes on over and then the following :

Sir do you have any guns on you today...?
No...
Do you have any weapons...?
No..Well I do have a pocket knife....
Oh , you will have to give that me , we will keep it and you can get it back when you leave....
Okay...

I give the young guard my knife...
And then , that's when the fun starts...

Cool he says...and then he proceeds to open my knife , and....before I can say "Watch it , its sharp"...
He rubs his thumb down the edge....
Now 'cause I want my knife back...the only thing I ask is : Are you okay..?

He says Yeaaaaaah ...as he turns white and his thumb does an excellent impression of Mount Vesuvius...

The older guard comes on over says for me to go one and I'll get my knife later...

So after getting what I needed , I return to guard section...there is only the older guard...
What happen to your buddy..?
He had to go and get stitches...You will have to forgive him as he , has never seen a real knife before ...and yes we only give him one bullet for his gun....:D

Oh the knife in question...its the Case with the red handle...
Andy
DSC06054.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews