JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
California is always a sore subject, but I'm curious about the impact the new lead ban has on Muzzle Loaders and Flint Locks etc... Are the locals coming up with home solutions or are they being taken care of by the ammunition industry?

Thanks for the chat ladies and germs. 8)

California is always a sore subject, but I'm curious about the impact the new lead ban has on Muzzle Loaders and Flint Locks etc... Are the locals coming up with home solutions or are they being taken care of by the ammunition industry?

Probably home brew solutions.
However, the ammunition industry (as well as DIY folks) need only take feces from Hollywood pukes and state elected officials and shape them into balls, because they produce some of the densest sh*t the world has ever seen.

There are a few nontoxic options, but they are limited :

They're also lighter than lead which is not a good thing in a round ball.

Otherwise they're screwed.

If you are asking if the muzzle loaders can use lead, or anything that has any lead traces in it, the answer is no. There are non -lead products like bismuth and a few others that are being made commerically for muzzle loaders (when the Spanish invades South America they used iron balls in their muzzleloading muskets, not something i want to shoot in my rifles), but for now lead is lead and banned and not much else works nearly as well, although I was told some of the radioactive metals are pretty good as far as weight goes, as is gold, but you are on your own there.

Maybe some high-tech projectiles for those muzzleloaders is in order: Tungsten - Wikipedia

Tungsten is a lot denser than lead (from earlier in link above): "Its density is 19.25 times that of water, comparable to that of uranium and gold, and much higher (about 1.7 times) than that of lead" -- although I didn't see any density info on the alloys used in projectiles.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top